The mormons vs the jw?

by Nicolas 60 Replies latest jw friends

• Doc_jedd
    Doc_jedd

..SusanHere.......Your post was very refreshing, thank you for clarifying these common misconceptions......Ive always found the Morman missionarys pleasant and polite whenever they come to my door,and i enjoy speaking with them ...........Jedd

• Utopian Reformist
    Utopian Reformist

"SusanHere" is arriving closer and closer to a defensive posture regarding the mormon religion. In a few minutes, she will begin to sound like JW trolls who rant and rave about the many wonderful characteristics displayed by individual members, and the many wonderful programs in place that propogate good in the earth.

It is true. There are many Mormons and JW's who are sincere, help people, believe they are responsible to a higher authority and must SERVE others. We are all enriched as a society when people become civic minded and responsible and strive for higher standards.

I believe the "veritas profundi" is in the acknowledgment of the actual source and motivation inspiring the achievement of these standards and good deeds. JW's will say it's the BIBLE, thorough the WTBS and Mormons will say it's the BOOK of Mormon and their Church.

I say STOP. Imagine a planet without religion, can you? Would humans recognize the differences between "good & evil", "cause & effect" "order & disorder"? I believe that all humans long for peace, love, happiness, despite religion. Do you think atheists LOVE crime and humnger? It is amazing how much humans can cooperate, collaborate, accomplish together when religion is out of the picture.

• detective
    detective

I think Mormonism has it's pros and cons like any other high-control group, uh, religion. Some maintain that Joseph Smith was nothing short of a con artist himself. This site might be of interest to some of you:

http://www.exmormon.org/

• SusanHere
    SusanHere

::::: Watching the minutes tick down and wondering how soon I can "rant and rave" or become a troll. What IS a troll anyway? Isn't that one of those creatures that lurks under bridges and frightens little children? Hmmmmmm. :::::::

ROFL -- Sorry, but ranting and raving I leave to others. Defensiveness also. I'm having far too much fun enjoying life to let someone else's problems darken my day! : )

SUSAN

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

SusanHere,

I appreciate your kind remarks and clarifications. Although I'm not a mormon, every mormon I've ever encountered was always kind and polite and very intelligent. Which is more than what most of us can say about JWs!!

You say typically a missionary elder/sister clocks about 10,000 hours within a two year period??? Wow! That's over 416 hours a month for 24 months or over 13 a day. I'm not sure how your religion "clocks" time (I always was under the impression that it wasn't tracked), but that is also another thing that is different from JW's. 1. They don't help anyone in need unless it benefits themselves and 2. They cheat on time just to make 60 hours a month. Haha!

Andi

• SusanHere
    SusanHere

Hi, Doc Jedd,

Thank you! I really appreciate positive feedback like yours. Everyone like to have a friendly smile returned with another friendly smile.

Susan

• Utopian Reformist
    Utopian Reformist

SusanHere:

I am not actively involved with the JW's or Mormons. But, irregardless of the apparent benefits provided with membership in either group, there are certain necessary cautions.

Both groups exhibit a DEGREE of cult-like behavior. Both groups have strict control of their memberships and institute organizational policies that require adherence.

Basically, one does not need to join a religion to appreciate standards. There are over 66,000 institutions of higher learning in the US that offer a variety of courses, seminars, workshops in health and health related topics. A well rounded, balanced education could also lead to exceptional health, if practiced with moderation and discipline.

I do not attack individual mormons, however, I attack the NOTION that somehow either mormons or JW's received their ability to practice special standards from their membership.

• drahcir yarrum
    drahcir yarrum

Mormons believe it's desirable to make lots of money and be financially successful. JW's believe you should scrimp for a living and be dependent on others who have some money.

Mormons believe that divorce is acceptable in this life, since in the next one you don't want to be stuck with someone incompatable. JW's believe you should stay married to the same person even if they slap you around a little. Unless of course they have screwed someone else.

Salt Lake City is prettier than Brooklyn, N.Y.

Mormons are strange people and JW's are strange people.

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life son." Dean Vernon Wormer, Faber College

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

The Book of Mormon is wonderful; the Israelites sailed to American, or something. Their decendants were the American Indians. Not one shred of evidence for this, ever.

Black Mormons couldn't go to heaven until 1970 something.

The Mormon god is on a planet somewhere; he has physical form, and has lots of babies with his wives; they are spirit babies and come to Earth to be given physical bodies, and if they are very good, they'll get thir own planet and their own harem and start sending their spirit babies to another planet to be given bodies.

Far more entertaining than the Bible.

Oh, and the gold plates... where they gone, oh taken by the Angel Moroni back to Planet X I guess. Huh. No wonder they call the angel Moroni, if he'd left them they might be the one religion to have a shred of proof...

'cause that;'s where Mormons, Christians, and the rest meet.

In the land of can't prove didly.

People living in glass paradigms shouldn't throw stones...

• SusanHere
    SusanHere

Hi, Billygoat,

Thanks for your kind comments! Actually, Mormons don't track hours. If anyone were to suggest it, there would be zero cooperation in that direction. Joseph Smith, when asked how he could govern so many people as had joined his "peculiar" religion, said, "I teach them correct principles and they govern themselves." Nobody's come up with a better way of monitoring our individual activities since. It's all up to the individual.

Actually, I came up with a tally of the hours myself years back when my firstborn son left to serve a full-time mission. I was so proud of him, as only a mother can be. You know, "Look what my little Johnny is doing now!" type of thing. Of course, my JW family members merely sniffed and with smug smiles told me, "Yes, but he only serves for TWO years while WE serve all our lives!"

To me their refusal to recognize the incredible sacrifice my son had chosen to make, giving up everything he knew and loved to serve others for two years of his life, was comparable to my having said, "Guess what! My little Johnny has been selected to perform as a featured soloist at Carnigie Hall!" and having the response be, "Yes, but he'll only perform ONCE while my Tommy plays his guitar at the Night Owl Tavern EVERY Saturday night!" Sheesh, all I wanted was for them to be happy for me, and for my son. Was that too much to ask?

Unable to come up with a proper response at the time (isn't that always the case?), I fussed and fumed until it occured to me to change my JW family's absurdly inequal comparison with one that might make sense to a JW...namely, hours. So I took the time to tally the hours an average missionary serves, considering that they get no time off, but are on duty, so to speak, six days a week, wake up till bedtime. Then backed off a few hours to allow for unforeseen complications. Unscientific at best, but as accurate as I could make it.

Of course, all my efforts were in vain, as I'd known they would be, as all that resulted was a lack of any contact with JW family for many months. But I've STILL never received a response when hours are compared to hours.

So it goes. I still go out of my way to congratulate my JW family members on every little accomplishment, honor, distinction, life step, etc., and still sting when it is not reciprocated. With all the hurt in the world, shouldn't good people go out of their way to make other people's lives a little brighter? Just a simple, "Wow, that's great! I'm so happy for you!" goes a mighty long way!

SUSAN

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit