The mormons vs the jw?

by Nicolas 60 Replies latest jw friends

• Nicolas
    Nicolas

I saw a report on TV about the church of Jesus Chrisht of latter day saint and they have a lot in common with the jw. They go from door to door and as the jw, they believe that they are here to save the world. Do you think that this church will become more popular while the WatchTower is losing his popularity? I like their doctrin of polygamy lol but, I don't think that the girls will have the same opinion...

Black holes are where God divided by zero.

• Nicolas
    Nicolas

At least, they do something useful for the peoples who like genealogy: http://www.familysearch.org/ but I won't enter in another mind-control cult of this type.

• nelly136
    nelly136

nic I get them round here, they offer to cut your grass
    and decorate your house and are always asking what jobs they
    can do for you, personally i think every home should have one
    nice to see youre still here
    nelly

• alliwannadoislive
    alliwannadoislive

on BBC1 this morning, there was an item about the winter olympics and the introduction mentioned the mormons, saying that they are currently the fastest growing religion in the world ... bet those in the borganisation were displeased to hear that ...

• Nicolas
    Nicolas

They are growing fast because they tell to their members to have a lot of children. That's what I heard. If only they knew that almost every children will eventually escape of their mind-control organisation. They should look at what happened in the WatchTower...

• Yadirf
    Yadirf
    I saw a report on TV about the church of Jesus Chrisht of latter day saint and they have a lot in common with the jw. They go from door to door....

The Mormons go "door to door" for a period of ONLY 2 years. JWs on the other hand see their ministerial work as a life-long activity. Something else rather bizarre is that Mormons believe they will individually become a God, and rule over their own part of the universe eventually. A couple of Mormons (young men) came to my door not so very long ago. One of them was quite surprised to learn from me that according to Mormon teachings he would someday become a God. His associate verified what I had said. And yes, even as was mentioned by another poster in this thread, Mormons are now in the habit of asking if they can be of service in some way. I think that perhaps its a ploy they use in an attempt to top their counterparts (Jehovah's Witnesses) in the eyes of the householder. Of course, Jehovah's Witnesses aren't there at the people's doors to do yard work. So, there's lots of differences between the religion which Mormons practice and that of Jehovah's Witnesses.

Daniel 11:35 ... a KEY prophecy that must be fulfilled before the "time of the end" gets underway.

• GoldDustWoman
    GoldDustWoman

Though there are similarities, there are also many differences between the JW's and Mormons.

1)All males, regardless of standing in the church, itself, are considered "priests" and can give blessings.

2) Official Mormon doctrine prohibits polygamy. Back in the 19th century, in order to get out from under Federal government control, and for Utah to become a state, the practice of polygamy was banned.The process that lead to this decision, however, is very similiar to the WT's "new light". The banning of polygamy was actually a concession to the Federal government in order for Utah to become a state. For a Latter Day Saint (as they prefer to be called) to practice polygamy means excommunication from the church.

3)The wearing of The Garment. Sort of a long underwear type thing to remind them of their faith and to keep chaste. I'm not sure if many Mormons practice this today. Probably only the very devout.

4)That the founder Joseph Smith, himself, is a prophet.

5)The refraining of drinking carbonated beverages, coffee, and tea.Mormons are considered the most healthy in the American population, and are often used as a control group for medical studies.

6)They believe in three levels of heaven. The top being reserved for "good" Mormons. The middle for "bad" Mormons and the rest of christians. The bottom for whats left over.

7)Mormons, unlike JW's, are very mainstream. In fact, they are very active in law enforcement and government.

8)Strongly encourage higher education. Even building their own universities. All the Mormon kids I knew ALWAYS went to Brigham Young University.

9)Mormons put a very strong emphasis on tithing. A families tithing record is kept track of. It used to be 10%, not sure if it still is. Kinda like how many hours of service a person puts in with the JWs. The more given, the more prestige.

10)Large families are encouraged. More kids, mean more Mormons. Also, they believe that the more children one has, the better chance their is to get into the top level of heaven.

Well, there are more. But, that is some basic differences between Mormons and JWs.

Andee

You can take a whore to culture, but you can't make her think-Dorothy Parker

• concerned mama
    concerned mama

What all of you say fits in with my memories accurately. I lived in a smaller city with a large Mormon population for about a year while I was in my late teens. I was befriended by a nice Mormon girl, who invited me to many social events. To be honest, I had a good time at most of them, except that everyone else knew each other. They have and extremely active teen social program. What they said at their religious services left me cold, but they had the most beautful music and singing.

In retrospect, I feet that they were drawing me in socially. Once, I was part of the group, then I would have been eased into the religious teaching. It would have been easier to have been sucked in, as they are more mainstream. I think it is far more effective doing it that ways as far as catching converts, compared to the JW way. I wonder if their door to door ministry is any more effective than JWs?. I doubt it.

Our business currently has 3 Mormon employes, who are all terrific. They are well educated, smart, honest and really easy to get along with. They mix well with the other staff and come to Christmas parties and other gatherings.

• Marilyn
    Marilyn

I've been emailing a Mormon for a year now and tho she initially told me that she didn't want to convert me, she's recently backed right off, since she realised that I am not a soft target. I personally couldn't see a lot of difference in the way she operated and the way the dubs do. She put a lot of energy and effort in initially and expected results. When they didn'thappen to her time frame, she backed off. She sent a book of Mormon and tapes - half way across the world. :-(

Marilyn

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

I have relitives who are mormons.Two who are rev.'s but I
    never wanted to talk to them about anything because they
    couldn't seem to without getting carried away on something and I don't want to know everything. So when ever the subject of religon
    would come up around any of my aquaintances or neighbors who were mormon I would ask them any questions I had. That way it always stay'd reasonable. I remember a woman I worked with came in the shop one morning and had a large file and she looked like she was tired.
    I asked was everything ok She said oh ya, I've just been up all night trying to get all my research organized. Turn's out she began studying the mormon faith awhile back and made a decission to convert. But before she would be accepted into the mormon church she had to produce records of her family tree dating back x amount of generations. I didn't remember hearing my cuz's ever saying anything like that so I was really intrieged. I asked why. She said it was because each person in the mormon faith is held responsible for the sin's of their ancestors rather then their own. Of course this
    would only include big sin's such as a crime commited by say your grandfather against another person. If there are criminals found in your family tree , then before you are alowed to be baptized you must make atonement with the offspring of the person your ancestor wronged. Ok I said and left that one alone. Since there seems to be some mormons on this forum maybe they would coment on that.
    plm

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit