The classic features of a JW wedding are:

by highdose 62 Replies latest jw experiences

• freedomisntfree
    freedomisntfree

In defense of Witness weddings sure the ceramonys are total stock for the R&f but the reciption are another matter Ive been to literally over half a douzen witness weddings and the reciptions were generally beautiful affairs, lots of speeches about the bride and groom much to do about them the bride and her party would usually give out handmaidavours. Either catered or potluck style but the food was always very good. and lots of dancing and fun. I miss them actually sure they wernt all awesome but thats the stand outs for me.

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

I went to one (couple now divorced) where the brides father had to inject some spiritual aspect to the reception...

he organized and directed a whole bible drama about the 10 plagues! I had to be Pharoah (i dont mind a bit of dress up)

but looking back i think WTF had the plagues on Egypt got to do with a wedding!

oz

• ambersun
    ambersun

they always had polkas, waltzes, and the chicken dance thrown in at the reception. (in wisconsin anyways)

Yes, this was also the case in England before I left the borg. Chairs lined up against the walls all round the reception hall, the centre space left free for dancing, which usually consisted of groups of little girls twirling around being carefully sidestepped by middle aged and elderly JW couples who were trying to dance, as the music was always the sort that required a knowledge of ballroom dancing steps. This automatically excluded anyone under about 45 who hadn't received any ballroom dancing lessons. We all knew there would be no music played that evening that wouldn't be suitable for a pensioner's tea party.

Then after a while they would liven things up with the chicken dance and barn dances that everyone could join in. This bit was actually quite enjoyable!There was always a variety show where various talented members of the congregations showed off their acting or musical skills.

Then waving the happy couple off on their honeymoon, more ballroom dancing, mainly the older ones again with some young ones shuffling around the floor joining in out of boredom. Engelbert Humperdink's waltz "Save the Last Dance for Me" was ALWAYS played to signify the reception was over (at around 11.30pm) and everyone should go home to their beds so they could be up bright and early for fields service in the morning. Of course, there were eagle eyes everywhere monitoring the alcohol consumption and any 'improper' behaviour.

In fairness, I am going back a long time here, so hopefully things have changed these days.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit