The classic features of a JW wedding are:

by highdose 62 Replies latest jw experiences

• watersprout
    watersprout

I refused a typical dub wedding! They always made me cringe...I got married in the kingdumb hell and the bro giving the talk gave us the whole ''the wife is submissive and the husband is the head'' crap! I wanted to write my own vows but i wasn't allowed, perhaps they thought i would say something rude! Lol. My sister was chief bridemaid and didn't go to meetings anymore and a problem that caused. I wouldn't back down and insisted that it was my wedding and i wanted my sister to be part of it. At the ceremony hardly any witnesses came and the hall was virtually empty. All because my sister was bridesmaid! They came for the free food and booze though! We had our reception at a nice hotel with a sit down meal and a party afterwards where the others guests came... Problem was we found out a week before the wedding that my FIL had cancelled the DJ and had deceided to do it himself! As you can imagine my wrath was immense! On the day when we walked in the ballroom all his equipment was missing! Someone had stolen it! My sisters then boyfriend came to the rescue with his equipment and the younsters had great fun on the night playing DJ. So it turned out ok. Oh and for our first dance we had ''Metallica's nothing else matters''....

Did anyone else have the bro giving your wedding talk ask you rather inappropriate questions on whether you have touched each other where you shouldn't have?? It was a printout given to the elders giving the wedding talks with all these questions on. Apparently it was to guilt the couple into confessing so a JC could be formed! How sick!

Peace

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

When my oldest sister got married, they hired a polka band. It was just an old elderly couple with accordions. My sister couldn't figure out why hardly anyone was dancing.

• exwhyzee
    exwhyzee

After being a Witness as long as I have, you end with a whole arsenal of stories on any given topic.

At one Wedding I was at, the poor Bride looked really frightened as she was going down the asile. She stumbled through the vows somehow and when it came to the Kiss the Bride part....she looked so akward and embarrased. The reception was held at a community center that had a little stage up front. A string quartet made up of elderly folks was hired to play quietly in the background. Suddenly there was a crash from the stage. Everyone whipped around to see a very stout old lady laying on her back with her legs straight up in the air. Apparently the old wooden folding chair she was sitting on gave way under the strain. There was spontaneous snickering for hours afterward. Following this little disturbance, a young guy holding a plate of food, while talking to his friends, sat on the edge of a long folding table that had cassaroles and bowls of Jell-o on it. His weight on the one end of the table, caused it to fold upward in the middle sending a lot of the food flying onto the floor as well as down the front of anyone who out of reflex, tried to save it. I'm sorry but it was hilarious and tragic at the same time. Apparently the whole marriage was doomed from the start and ended up being annuled about 6 weeks later ...but that's another story.

• watersprout
    watersprout

Kiss the Bride

Oh my goodness i completely forgot...We didn't have a ''kiss the bride'' kiss. We said our vows and then we were introduced as bro and sis carrot. Which really infruiated me as i was mrs carrot, not sis carrot! Then we were dragged into the back to sign the register. What utter idiots!

Exwhyzee that story was hilarious. As i was reading it i was picturing it happening, only with the dubs i kow! Lol

Peace

• Magwitch
    Magwitch

What a great thread!

My reception was at a gorgeous restaurant, with a sit down dinner and endless flowing booze. Everyone really enjoyed drinking except me - I was underage.

If I ever tie the knot again it will be on a beach, barefoot, with only people I like. So stupid to throw a wedding and invite 300 people you cannot stand.

• Magwitch
    Magwitch

In the late 70's I was part of a (JW) wedding party that had 7 bridesmaids. After the wedding and before the reception, the whole 14 party entourage and the new bride and groom drove (in 3 packed cars) to some dive motel where the bride and groom consummated their wedding vows. We (14) all waited outside (for about 3 minutes) until the Bride and groom rejoined us and we all drove to the reception. I do not think anyone in the party including B & G were over 18.

• chicken little
    chicken little

Poor gifts! I have attended scores of weddings and that is the one thing that I have noticed that stands out as different from "worldly weddings", they think that a cheap present is good enough, and that is not because they do not have the money but they just don't think it is important to give an appropriate gift for the occasion.

The most skinflint wedding I attended was where my daughter was asked to be the only bridesmaid. We paid for her dress and shoes and flowers ourselves and when she arrived at the snack reception after the photos were taken all the food was already gone, eaten by the guests that did not wait for the bridal party. The evening meal was for family and close friends and she was not invited but told that she could come later for the dancing. That poor girl sat at home in her dress waiting for a phone call from her dad, who was serving at the meal for the family, telling her that we could drive out for the dancing. At midnight I told her to go change because they were obviously not going to call so late. I was furious for her sake and vowed never to let her be a bridesmaid for a witness wedding again. Scrooges.

• watersprout
    watersprout

OMG! CL that is absolutely awful! Your daughter must have been devestated!

We had a £3 nasty tealight from a family that came to our wedding! We had a gift list and all of Carrots cong bought us the market version of the original gifts we wanted. I do laugh about it now! Lol

• White Dove
    White Dove

My embarrassing story of being a "guest":

A couple at the khall were going to be married at the hall, so everyone could come there.

However, I heard that I was not invited to the reception, only the wedding.

I had only heard of public weddings and public receptions with tons of food brought by everyone.

Never heard of a catered event and invitation only.

Never experienced one before so didn't understand it.

I was terribly hurt by the exclusion, especially because I was pioneering with the mom of the groom (who un-invited me) for a year at that time.

I messed up horribly without realizing what I was doing was wrong, and I begged the dad of the groom to let me attend.

He said okay, but the mom said no! no! right in front of me.

I committed a faux pas but she was rude then, too.

I was as informed as a country bumpkin about social rules and rituals.

Apparently, nearly everyone knew I wasn't invited and were quite surprised to see me at the reception.

Man, was that embarrassing and painful (exclusion never feels good, especially in a small congregation).

Come to think of it, maybe I was not invited because I was recently divorced and a new single mom of two.

I looked bad and was an embarrassment to the congregation.

• Hairyhegoat
    Hairyhegoat

Hi Watersprout.

When me and sleeping beauty got married we spent all our money on the reception for the freeloaders at the kingdum hell. Our reception was at the Nec motorcycle musem and it cost alot. We had no honeymoon and I resent this to this day that we payed for all these munchers to get fat off my money and I had no money left after this The elders wanted to vet our family guests who were not jw and the music we were to play.

Looking back what a crap day this was and if I could turn the clock back things would been very different. The elders can go to hell and the WT because these people are dangerous and need to be exposed .

HHG

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit