The classic features of a JW wedding are:

by highdose 62 Replies latest jw experiences

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

Firstly a wedding/sales talk that mostly features heavily on how the woman should behave (hint, doormat) and lightly brushes over the fact of the husbands bevhaviour ( oh yeah he should treat her well)

The reception normaly at some crummy comunity hall with yellowed ceilings and chucks of damp plaster falling off the walls. The seats normaly arranged facing eachother all around the edge, so that theres a huge unused space in the middle and everyone is climbing over everyone elses legs to get to their chair.

A big spread donated by everyone, normaly an ode to food poisoning. An MS proudly guarding the "drinks table" making sure that no one enjoys themselves too much.

Hey, weren't you a guest at ours?

It was a very safe, inoffensive wedding - so safe and inoffensive that people were in danger of becoming comatose. And yet it supposedly became the standard in our area for a while. If I had the time over again, there'd be lots of dancing and a bar. It still would have ended early evening, however

• Highlander
    Highlander

That last video made me cry. That's how weddngs ahould be; a happy expression of the bride and groom, their family and their friends!

I agree with Jamie.

• Highlander
    Highlander

For my wedding, I refused to have it in the kingdom hall. Instead, my wife and I had our wedding on the shores of Lake Superior. The ceremony was on the beach, and the dinner party was in a lodge/restaurant within walking distance of the beach.

• watersprout
    watersprout
    Hi Watersprout.

Hi back at ya *clink*

Our reception was at the Nec motorcycle musem and it cost alot.

That's not too far from me...

We had no honeymoon

You need to go book a honeymoon asap!!!!!!

The elders wanted to vet our family guests who were not jw and the music we were to play.

It's like a nazi regime being a witness! It's your wedding for crying out loud! Why can't anyone have what they want?? I know they say it's all about bringing reproach upon jehovah. Having fun won't bring reproach. Singing dub hymns and playing bible games won't?? Lol

what a crap day this was

No it wasn't you got married! Unless thats not good?? Lol

Peace

• Joliette
    Joliette

LOL.

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

Apparently the whole marriage was doomed from the start and ended up being annuled about 6 weeks later ...but that's another story.

You can't tell part of the story and leave us hanging like that!!! What happened???

• exwhyzee
    exwhyzee
    Apparently the whole marriage was doomed from the start and ended up being annuled about 6 weeks later ...but that's another story.
    You can't tell part of the story and leave us hanging like that!!! What happened???

I left it out because it's a pretty sad tale. It seemed inappropriate to include the sad part with the kind of slapstick things that happened at the wedding.

Anyway...the groom was in his late twenties or early 30's had only recently studied and had been baptized. He had no Witness family and had only met the bride when he started coming to the hall. The Bride had grown up as a Witness but was from a really weird family. I never knew them because they were the type you steered clear of...wouldn't even want to know them just based on their appearance and behavior. (red flags all over the place) She was the only seemingly normal one. I knew her from other kids that had grown up with her. Unlike her family she was slim, clean and kind of pretty but she always seemed sad and worried. Even though she was only about 20 at the time of the wedding, she seemed to be carrying the weight of the world. She walked down the asile as if she were going to the gallows.

It turns out she had been molested throughout her life and never could tell anyone about it. Because of all the burdens and grief carried as a result this, she couldn't bring herself to consumate the marriage so they just called the whole thing off. She is older now and still single and a pioneer last I heard.

• jgnat
    jgnat

The only JW wedding I went to this past summer was pretty awful. I hope they are not all that bad. The groom nearly forgot to kiss the bride, if it wasn't for a "worldlly" in-law who gave him a helpful shout-out.

This was the first (and last) wedding reception I've ever attended where there were two-tier invitations. Some guests were given attendance to the dance only - no meal. Hubby and I didn't realize we were second-tier guests until we got there, and walked in to a room full of seated people, still enjoying the after-dinner stories. Hubby was so humiliated he asked me to drop off the gift and leave.

I'm still waiting for the thank-you card.

I'll give my (JW) hubby credit. Our little secular wedding in my dad's home was short and sweet. He misquoted me as his "awfully wedded bride", which got a laugh. He didn't forget to kiss. We all went to the Olive Garden afterwards to celebrate.

• d
    d

I went to one in 2003. It was okay, but the music was kind of boring.

• the_raisin
    the_raisin

I only went to one wedding (my parents' at our house) and a couple of receptions(all held in the same place).

My parents were lucky in that neither were baptized, but an elder married them. And it was held on our front yard :D I mean, it was a pretty big yard, three big tents with tables and chairs. We had music, courtesy of our wanna-be DJ brothers. We had ambience (our family dog roaming around during the ceremony and plopping himself down right next to my parents for the last fifteen minutes of it. I have proof. Best goof ever! And everybody was so mortified with the dog doing this, nobody bothered moving him :D). But there was no place for dacing, since it was grass and mud and yeah, heels don't go well with it, and our deck was decked with food and a huge homemade cake my poor mom had to bake that very morning. Details are fuzzy (kinda tipsy. My parents forgot my high school graduation was THAT same day, so I retaliated in the dumbest way possible), but yeah, it was pretty nice, pretty chill, and I had the cutest dress :D.

The receptions in the hall were a joke. Lame music, blinding white lights, no decorations at all, and a terrible attempt to hide a gigantic United States Flag on the front wall. Ooooh and when the two or three brothers or sisters who fancied themselves 'artistes' and would sing their renditions of the most popular Latin pop song of the moment? Yeah, we videotaped those. And the plays. The plays! The little ones would put on plays based on the Bible, and the acting and wardrobe malfunctions were pure gold. Thankfully, I wasn't good enough for those plays.

Oooh, I want to add something else: the fact that these weddings were evil in the way that for the teenagers, it also was a way to show who was the best catch. Whoever was on the dance floor dancing with the most opposite sex partners (we were allowed!) was obviously the most pious one. I think I got asked a grand total of three times. In all five years.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit