The classic features of a JW wedding are:

by highdose 62 Replies latest jw experiences

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

Isn't the wedding supposed to be a special day? There was only one JW wedding I enjoyed. It was a multi-cultural wedding so some different things got thrown in. It wasn't just the same thing as all the other weddings. Also, I brought a flask. That helped.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Don`t forget the never ending polka song that justs goes on and on..

http://graphics.ink19.com/issues/august2002/polka.jpeg

....................... ...OUTLAW

• ranmac
    ranmac

Not mine.

i made sure our wedding had none of these traits. No KH, no cringedumb melodies, only our music, brief talk and plenty of booze. Every one loved it.

Not inviting assholes helped too.

• Morbidzbaby
    Morbidzbaby

My wedding was not a JW ceremony. It was a civil ceremony, non-religious. That was kind of frowned upon by most JW's, but then again, I only had a few JW's at the ceremony and dinner afterward... everyone was invited to the reception though... it wasn't by formal invitation it was just "You wanna come, come!". There was a bar, waitresses available for food orders, etc. Basically it was just "Hey, join us at this restaurant and have some fun with us". It was pretty relaxed and laid back.

Now, I'm never getting married again, but IF I did, I'd do it way differently.

• VampireDCLXV
    VampireDCLXV

Let's not forget to include the obligatory warning to wordly relatives and others at the ceremony that there is to be no throwing of rice when the happy couple exits the hall as it is TOTALLY PAGAN.

V665V665

• fade_away
    fade_away

I got married last July the 3rd. The presiding elder didn't let us decorate the hall at all. Just two lousy flower bases on the platform. He didn't let us put bows on the chairs on the first two rows where our family would sit, he didn't let us roll out a carpet to walk on, and he didn't let me choose the best man. The best man I had in mind was someone who wasn't baptized, so I had to choose someone else I didn't really want.

The reception was nice though.

• Morbidzbaby
    Morbidzbaby
    Let's not forget to include the obligatory warning to wordly relatives and others at the ceremony that there is to be no throwing of rice when the happy couple exits the hall as it is TOTALLY PAGAN.

Even though, at least here in the states, no one does that anymore cause it's bad for the birds...they throw bird seed instead lol.

That reminds me...we were at my worldly uncle's wedding about 13 years ago and they were throwing the bird seed as they exited the reception hall (they didn't have the ceremony in a church, everything was at one location)...I was baptized already, and both my mother and me threw the seed... I don't know why she didn't make the association that it was the same thing for the same purpose as rice...

I was just having fun slamming my uncle and new aunt with tons of seeds lol...

• JeffT
    JeffT

I guess we lucked out, but then it was thirty-six years ago, maybe they were looser then. Or I was too nervous to remember much. We didn't have much financially so everything was low key. Reception was also low key and generally fun. It made a good impression on my parents. We had a dry reception by our choice.

From comments here it seems the WTBS is intent on sucking the fun out of EVERYTHING.

• exwhyzee
    exwhyzee

The typical JW wedding reception involves a lot of old ladies hoovering around covered dishes....little girls twirling on the dance floor all by themselves....and the guests mopping floors emptying garbage cans, stacking chairs and folding up the tables at the end...kinda like after the District Assembly. And of course the Announcement about the Bride and Groom not wanting rice to be thrown as if any young couple would have thought to request this.

My wife and I didn't want it to be that way so we had our reception in a hotel ballroom which opened out to a beautiful indoor pool area and Conservatory. We had a live band and a no-host bar, cake and finger foods. There were probably about 600 people there that evening. The bar prophets after a certain point, went toward the rental of the ballroom which ended up only costing us $35.00 because everybody bought their own drinks if they wanted one. The band was awesome. The ligts were low and the music was current. Somehow magically all our JW friends knew the latest dance moves and wasted no time getting out on the dance floor. It was what everyone had been wating for. All these years later people still remember it as the wedding of the century. everyone , danced, ate , drank and behaved themselves. We didn't leave our reception till about 1 am and it was still going in full swing. After our honeymoon my wife came to live at my house which was located on the other side of the State from where the Wedding was. Years later her parents told us they had to deal with a lot of fall out from the Elders about the loud worldly music and the presence of alcohol. Her Dad was an Elder and he didn't see a thing wrong with any of it and told them so.

• DagothUr
    DagothUr

I only went to 2 JW weddings, but they were ok. Reasonable food, reasonable drinks, reasonable dancing, reasonably fun. Nothing excessive, but also nothing embarassing. Yet, I have to agree: all of them had the boring talk where the bride is taught how to be a nice doormat.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit