The classic features of a JW wedding are:

by highdose 62 Replies latest jw experiences

• sooner7nc
    sooner7nc

The ones I went to and was in weren't bad. Oh yeah, you had the dull ass talk but mostly we had coolers with beer outside of the receptions that we emptied pretty quickly. Don't recall much else except for a hook-up or two. Those coolers of beer will do that to you. :)

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Many of the weddings here are as described above as they are at the KH. To have the wedding anywhere else suggests that the couple COULD NOT use the KH for nefarious reasons. But most receptions lately have been at banquet centers, country clubs, etc with sit down meals and open bar. Friends whose son just got married said they spent $15,000 plus what the bride's family spent. Probably a $25,000 wedding with over 300 in attendance, so really that's less than $100/person.

• Found Sheep
    Found Sheep

I had to fight to have a classic song played. Stupid talk on how the wife is now owned by the husband. I like the elder that married us but h had to follow the outline. No alcohol and we spent 2,000$ and had 200 people so you guess how good the food was.

Went to a JW wedding last summer and it was nice. Not in the KH the only thing that was bad was the talk, and the fact that he was 18 she was 21 and just needed to have se# not get married

• C6H12O6
    C6H12O6

bringing songbooks and bibles to the ceremony

singing the selected songs at the ceremony

no throwing bouquets and bride garters at the reception

no metal bands - heard about a young couple who did this for their reception, and everyone left

• stuckinlimbo
    stuckinlimbo

I actually re-wrote the outline, the celebrant gave it to me, he accepted my re-written outline but would not change the actual vows. It was actually pretty respectful to me as the wife when I'd finished with it! There is NO WAY you could do that now. But at the time I thought I did quite well. We were married at a park as I didn't want the ugly hall in my wedding photos and it was too small to fit all the guests anyway. Some thought this odd but most really enjoyed the spring day at the park and I had a "worldly" bridesmaid too

• whathehadas
    whathehadas

Yeah the JW weddings stink. The same ol talks then the receptions with the micromanagement by the elders. Wish the weddings were like this starting right at the KH. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-94JhLEiN0

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

That last video made me cry. That's how weddngs ahould be; a happy expression of the bride and groom, their family and their friends!

• wantarevolution
    wantarevolution

Our wedding was a civil ceremony, attended by 40 friends - all of them witnesses. Then a celebration in a restaurant at the beach for 100.

No fuss, it was all over by 10pm, then we went out dancing with a load of brothers till 3am.

We weren't under restriction or anything, just wanted it done our own way - the PO of our congregation said it was the most enjoyable wedding he had been to.

I could tell some horror stories...any will do when I have time :)

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

A photographer with a decent camera, but no composition skills.

• wobble
    wobble

In my old Congo. the weddings got to be more and more sophisticated, certain Bros. and sistas would do the catering, and it reached a pretty high standard, and the entertainment was done a bit like the old Variety theatre, we had people quite talented at a number of things, costumes, stage directing, art-work etc. and we had some pretty good musicians.

They really got quite onerous to organize and perform, but they were fun for everybody, our Congo. was always relaxed about booze too.

At one wedding they put me in charge of the bar,(poacher turned gamekeeper they thought), along with another guy who can drink more than me. His mother sat and watched us both unbeknown to us, in the early hours of the morning , as we cleared up, she accused my partner in crime of drinking 24 pints over the period, I said

"I'm shertain, hic, he hasn't had that much !"

She replied, "He has, and you've drunk 18 pints !" I didn't know I could tuck that much away , even over all those hours.

I don't know what the latest weddings were like, I think they have toned them down a lot. One of my great-nieces gets married in June, but I doubt we will be invited, if we are we may not go, it would be no pleasure for us. So I will have to find out second-hand how elaborate an affair (or not) it will be.

My own wedding in 1970, was exactly as you describe dear Highdose, but we did not know any better back then, in the dark ages.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit