FDS says - "No need to check our work. Besides, it will only make God angry."

by Crisis of Conscience 87 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Crisis of Conscience
    Crisis of Conscience

Though I no longer believe the FDS is indeed appointed by God, I guess because of what has been taught to me all these years through the WTBTS, I still make an effort to try and look at both sides. And then I come across this number below, which is how I arrived at my title for this thread.

***w81 2/15 p.19 Do We Need Help to Understand the Bible?***

Jesus' disciples wrote many letters to Christian congregations, to persons who were already in "the way of the truth." (2 Pet. 2:2) But nowhere do we read that those brothers first, in a skeptical frame of mind, checked the Scriptures to make certain that those letters had Scriptural backing, that the writers really knew what they were talking about.

OUR VIEW OF THE "SLAVE"

We can benefit from this consideration. If we have once established what instrument God is using as his "slave" to dispense spiritual food to his people, surely Jehovah is not pleased if we receive that food as though it might contain something harmful. We should have confidence in the channel God is using.

Unbelievable!! The Beroeans in the Bible were said to examine the scriptures so as to prove that what they were told was true, or rather as is said in the NWT, "..... as to whether these things were so." The interesting part of this is that they where verifying the so-ness (made the word up for this example, LOL) of what the apostles told them, yes men that were being used by God.

Is there a double standard here with the current FDS just because they have the Bible and allegedly were appointed by Jehovah? It was ok to question men supposedly being used by God in the past, but now, there is no need.

And to top it all off, they used good old fashioned guilt. "......surely Jehovah is not pleased........" And so the FDS thinks, and chuckles inside - "Works every time!"

So this is God's channel, eh?

CoC

• PublishingCult
    PublishingCult

But nowhere do we read that those brothers first, in a skeptical frame of mind, checked the Scriptures to make certain that those letters had Scriptural backing, that the writers really knew what they were talking about.

This is pretty blatant.

They are threatening JW's to ignore Scriptural admonishment and not do any fact checking or indepth study of the Bible apart from a WT publications.

• Crisis of Conscience
    Crisis of Conscience

My point exactly PublishingCult.

They are in essence saying, "Don't worry about a thing. We got your back. You can trust us!" (Wink, wink and laughing all the way to the bank)

CoC

• wobble
    wobble

"Once you have established what instrument god is using......"

Of course, you can only establish that by reading WT literature which will tell you it is them !

What better way to establish the truth of this claim could there be ?

• Crisis of Conscience
    Crisis of Conscience

@ wobble - And if you don't arrive at that conclusion despite reading their publications, is it then alright to consider the Watchtower's spiritual food as harmful?

CoC

• MrMonroe
    MrMonroe

Jehovah's view on the need to examine one's religion evidently changed in the years betwen 1969 and 1981.

W69 1/15: "Faith, to be like a rock-mass, must be based on truth. It must be clearly defined in one’s mind, solidly established on accurate knowledge and facts. Such a faith will stand up to questions and opposing viewpoints. Our faith should be a God-given faith. But how can we be sure? As 2 Corinthians 13:5 says, “Keep testing whether you are in the faith, keep proving what you yourselves are.” Yes, we have to keep testing and examining our faith: Is it logical, is it reasonable, does it harmonize with the book of faith, the Bible?"

W69 3/15: "We need to examine, not only what we personally believe, but also what is taught by any religious organization with which we may be associated. Are its teachings in full harmony with God’s Word, or are they based on the traditions of men? If we are lovers of the truth, there is nothing to fear from such an examination."

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

One thing about Crazy Freddie was that he was a TRUE believer. The clowns that forced out Ray Franz were protecting a lifestyle. The GB2.0 today seem to be running mostly on auto-pilot.

• darthfader
    darthfader

Mad Sweeny, I think you hit the nail on the head. They are all now captives of a concept and even if they have doubts, they take another sip of their own cool aid and watch the auto-pilot...

• nugget
    nugget

Please don't check our sloppy research, poor writing, misquoutes of source material and mis direction. In fact don't compare this years truth with historical truth a nd past truths. Expunge from your mind what you were taught when you were baptised and accept what we tell you without question. Total trash.

Instead they want you to accept the word of men without checking anything at all. Seems contrary to scripture and common sense. God will be angry will he. I seem to remember the God of the Bible taking issue with people who blindly followed religious leaders and held them culpable for their beliefs. I think I am safer from God's wrath on the outside than in.

• Mr. Falcon
    Mr. Falcon

Then the Bereans were bad examples? Or good? Dammit, CoC, now I'm confused.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit