Higher Education June 15th Watchtower 2011

by jwfacts 89 Replies latest watchtower bible

• TotallyADD
    TotallyADD

I am not a complete waste of oxygen. I am very creative and try to bring joy to people's lives. Totally ADD

PS You are right on one thing though for born-ins it is harder to think for ones self. But it can be done.

• Liberated1
    Liberated1

Well I can remember the discouragement to go to University so despite hungering to carry on my education and the pleadings of my teachers I left to please Jehovah. I worked part-time and pioneered and hated every minute of it. What I remember at the time is that all JW's in our city left school and either pioneered or took fulltime jobs (very much frowned upon). I don't know anyone who went to University!! But around that time we got to meet a few from a congregation in another city about an hour's drive away - another university city like ours - and we were amazed that many were students with plans to get careers!! We were very shocked and thought them totally unspiritual - that's how brainwashed we were!!

I'm 48 now and have been out for 21 years. I have never had a career as such and done plenty of crappy jobs. I regret totally not doing higher education and wonder if going to university WOULD have led me astray from the 'truth'. Because I wish I had even more as I wouldn't have wasted so much of my life in it.

• cult classic
    cult classic
    You can bet someone raised a JW is a complete waste of oxygen.

False.

• SouthCentral
    SouthCentral

My life has been great, I make well over 6 figures without a college degree. My manager is the same age and makes TWICE what I make. My JW peers of course say that I am the materialistic one because I have always strived for more. I quit pioneering for my job 25 years ago. Through FB, my JW friends see my live daily. The materialistic tag still exist, but I will take it (with the money).

lol

College is essential in the world today. So sad to see the JW are still in the stone age. The mormons have the right idea regarding education.

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

As I understand it, the Mormons seek out other Mormons who share the same field (perhaps not even within in the same company) to serve as mentors. The mentor then coaches the apprentice; all with the anticipation of making the apprentice promotable material. Mormons want their men to be successful in careers. I saw it at work. One Mormon knew everything on how to act, what to do, answers to questions, etc. It was like he had a secret cheat sheet. He made partner, and the others all failed.

• Lunatic Faith
    Lunatic Faith
    You can bet someone raised a JW is a complete waste of oxygen.

I try not to be sensitive about things, but I find this comment offensive. I was a fourth generation born-in. My father was a studier and always encouraged me to study. I am in college now, but my ability to pull of a 4.0 GPA is due to a lifetime of knowing how to study and reason. I did have to break a tight bond around my mind and give up things I had spent my life believing, but I think that makes born-ins more courageous. We have to walk away from family, life long friends, and long held--and often cherished--beliefs. It is not easy and some may choose to stay out of fear of losing everything, not because they are idiots. The statistics prove that born-ins leaving the JW's is very high. Yeah, we are encouraged to read only WTS literature, but I don't know anyone who does that strictly. My own PO has a library full of novels and bios. He and his wife are avid readers and love to experience the world. They have made a choice for themselves and it is their right. Their not a waste of oxygen, they are not idiots. We all have the right to choose how we will live our lives.

• Bungi Bill
    Bungi Bill

Persons raised as JWs do indeed have numerous disadvantages to circumvent. That, however, does not make them a "complete waste of oxygen" - far from it!

Bill.

PS: I concur with those who describe the "waste of oxygen" desrciption as offensive.

• flipper
    flipper

JW Facts- Very interesting, thanks for posting. I recently had a local elder call on me ( uninvited , my adult JW daughter put him up to it ) and when I told him I have doubts and issues with the WT society discouraging college or " higher learning " he quite abruptly told me " THAT'S not true ! The WT society encourages our young ones to get a good education. " Either he was lying or he hasn't done his personal studying lately keeping up with the society's " new light. " I think they all are trying to cover their a$$e$. Ridiculous

• St George of England
    St George of England
    The WT society encourages our young ones to get a good education.

It depends on what you call 'a good education'!

An elder in my congregation thinks that going to school until 16 and coming away with a handful of mediocre GCSE's fulfils that description of 'a good education'.

George

• Married to the Mob
    Married to the Mob

@skeeter - IRC mormons have to give 10% of their earnings to the church every year! Thus the religion encourages people to be educated and be potentially able to go further.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit