Finished Mystery (1917)... The book that Jesus approved...

by Alfred 102 Replies latest watchtower bible

• erbie
    erbie

How interesting. It's funny how Jesus supposedly selected an apostate religion (which, by it's own qualification it is).

I have a genuine copy of The Divine Plan of The Ages which I discovered in an old book shop. It's the one with the pyramid diagrams.

I also have the blue Creation book written by Rutherford I believe which is not quite so old.

Both very stupid reading though.

I also have Life Everlasting in Freedom of The Sons of God which very clearly shows the whole 1975 teaching (Franz).

I'm serious, these guys were seriously off their trolly.

Nowadays I wouldn't go near it with a disinfected barge pole.

• cedars
    cedars

For those of you who are interested, here's a summary of what the Society had to say about the The Finished Mystery in the Revelation Climax book:

Page 8

"As early as 1917, the Watch Tower Society published the book The Finished Mystery. This was a verse-by-verse commentary on the Bible books of Ezekiel and Revelation. Then, as world events continued to unfold in fulfillment of Bible prophecy, a timely two-volume work entitled Light was prepared, being released in 1930. This offered an updated study of Revelation. Light continued to ‘flash up for the righteous,’ so that in 1963, Jehovah’s Witnesses published the 704-page book “Babylon the Great Has Fallen!” God’s Kingdom Rules!"

Page 159

"What John sees foreshadows remarkably the experience of the John class at the beginning of the Lord’s day. Their understanding of Jehovah’s purposes, including the implication of the seven thunders, was then incomplete. Nevertheless, they had a deep interest in Revelation, and Charles Taze Russell had commented on many parts of it during his lifetime. After his death in 1916, many of his writings were collected and published in a book entitled The Finished Mystery. In time, though, this book proved to be unsatisfactory as an explanation of Revelation. The remnant of Christ’s brothers had to wait a while longer, until the visions started to be fulfilled, for an accurate understanding of that inspired record."

Pages 165-166

"The fact that they were described as two witnesses also reminds us of the transfiguration. In that vision, three of Jesus’ apostles saw him in Kingdom glory, accompanied by Moses and Elijah. This foreshadowed Jesus’ sitting down on his glorious throne in 1914 to accomplish a work prefigured by those two prophets. (Matthew 17:1-3) Fittingly, the two witnesses are now seen to perform signs reminiscent of those of Moses and Elijah. For example, John says of them: “And if anyone wants to harm them, fire issues forth from their mouths and devours their enemies; and if anyone should want to harm them, in this manner he must be killed. These have the authority to shut up heaven that no rain should fall during the days of their prophesying.”—Revelation 11:5, 6a."

"This reminds us of the time when Moses’ authority was challenged in Israel. That prophet uttered fiery words of judgment, and Jehovah destroyed the rebels, consuming 250 of them by literal fire from heaven. (Numbers 16:1-7, 28-35) Similarly, Christendom’s leaders defied the Bible Students, saying that these had never graduated from theological colleges. But God’s witnesses had higher credentials as ministers: those meek persons who heeded their Scriptural message. (2 Corinthians 3:2, 3) In 1917 the Bible Students published The Finished Mystery, a powerful commentary on Revelation and Ezekiel. This was followed by the distribution of 10,000,000 copies of the four-page tract The Bible Students Monthly with the feature article entitled “The Fall of Babylon—Why Christendom Must Now Suffer—the Final Outcome.” In the United States, the irate clergy used the war hysteria as an excuse to get the book banned. In other countries the book was censored. Nevertheless, God’s servants kept fighting back with fiery issues of the four-page tract entitled Kingdom News. As the Lord’s day proceeded, other publications would make clear Christendom’s spiritually defunct condition.—Compare Jeremiah 5:14."

So, despite the fact that The Finished Mystery was "unsatisfactory as an explanation of Revelation", the mere fact that it was "a powerful commentary" (a controversial book that the clergy tried to ban on grounds of creating war hysteria) meant that it provided the fulfilment of the scripture in Revelation 11:5,6 foretelling the "two witnesses". In essence, a book that did a crap job of explaining Revelation ended up fulfilling it?!

Page 169

"The public press joined the clergy in vilifying God’s people, one paper saying: “The finis of The Finished Mystery has been given.” Nothing, though, could have been further from the truth!The two witnesses did not stay dead. We read: “And after the three and a half days spirit of life from God entered into them, and they stood upon their feet, and great fear fell upon those beholding them. And they heard a loud voice out of heaven say to them: ‘Come on up here.’ And they went up into heaven in the cloud, and their enemies beheld them.” (Revelation 11:11, 12)"

Page 168

"In his book Preachers Present Arms, published in 1933, Ray H. Abrams refers to the clergy’s bitter opposition to the Bible Students’ book The Finished Mystery. He reviews the clergy’s endeavors to rid themselves of the Bible Students and their “pestilential persuasion.” This led to the court case that resulted in sentencing of J. F. Rutherford and seven companions to long years of imprisonment. Dr. Abrams adds: “An analysis of the whole case leads to the conclusion that the churches and the clergy were originally behind the movement to stamp out the Russellites. In Canada, in February, 1918, the ministers began a systematic campaign against them and their publications, particularly The Finished Mystery. According to the Winnipeg Tribune, . . . the suppression of their book was believed to have been directly brought about by the ‘representations of the clergy.’”

Dr. Abrams continues: “When the news of the twenty-year sentences reached the editors of the religious press, practically every one of these publications, great and small, rejoiced over the event. I have been unable to discover any words of sympathy in any of the orthodox religious journals. ‘There can be no question,’ concluded Upton Sinclair, that ‘the persecution . . . sprang in part from the fact that they had won the hatred of “orthodox” religious bodies.’ What the combined efforts of the churches had failed to do the government now seemed to have succeeded in accomplishing for them.” After quoting the derogatory comments of a number of religious publications, the writer referred to the reversal of the decision in the Court of Appeals and remarked: “This verdict was greeted with silence in the churches.”"

Page 208

"Thus, rather than following the example of faithful Peter, these and other popes were an evil influence. They allowed bloodguilt and spiritual and physical fornication, as well as a Jezebel influence, to corrupt the church they ruled. (James 4:4) In 1917 the Bible Students’ book The Finished Mystery set out many of these facts in stark detail. This was one way that the Bible Students in those days ‘struck the earth with every sort of plague.’—Revelation 11:6; 14:8; 17:1, 2, 5."

I think we can all agree that The Finished Mystery was many things, but a book of "facts" was not one of them!

Cedars

• Amelia Ashton
    Amelia Ashton

Hi Alfred - WELL DONE for doing this

Ditto.

Awesome!

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

CEDARS - thanks for posting those references. You remember TFM being revered as some masterpiece by the society, but seeing the words in print with a copy of the book alongside is reveals the society's dishonesty. Calling this book anything but absolutely batshit crazy does not do it justice!

• notjustyet
    notjustyet

Marked

• 00DAD
    00DAD

Cedars, thanks for posting those quotes. I particularly loved this one:

Charles Taze Russell had commented on many parts of it during his lifetime. After his death in 1916, many of his writings were collected and published in a book entitled The Finished Mystery. In time, though, this book proved to be unsatisfactory as an explanation of Revelation. The remnant of Christ’s brothers had to wait a while longer, until the visions started to be fulfilled, for an accurate understanding of that inspired record." - Revelation Climax, p. 159 [Emphasis added]

Whoa, wait a second!!! Let me get this straight. The WTBTS admits in the Revelation Climax book that:

" Christ’s brothers had to wait ... for an accurate understanding " of Revelation because Russell's writings " proved to be unsatisfactory as an explanation of Revelation"?

And yet they make the unsubstantiated claim that Christ "chose" them the year after this book was written because IT was the "food at the proper time." My head is spinning!!!

This assertion of Christ's choosing in 1918/19 is the entire basis for their authority and they openly acknowledge that what was taught then was wrong, it was not accurate and even "proved to be unsatisfactory."

Amazing. It's almost like they leave clues: "Look, if you're smart you don't belong here with us. If you can think for yourself and see how inconsistent and incoherent our 'theology' is then we don't want you here. Sorry about the disfellowshipping and the loss of your friends and family and all that, but we only want people that we can manipulate and control."

• cedars
    cedars

00DAD - Yes, it's almost like they don't care that it doesn't add up. Like you say, the general tone seems to be "if you're smart enough to figure out that it's a load of hogwash then you're not JW material - you can take your business elsewhere, smart ass!"

I was shocked myself to find a direct quote in one of the Society's publications using the word "unsatisfactory" to describe The Finished Mystery, a book that supposedly fulfilled the prophecy of the "two witnesses" and was the primary publication being distributed when Christ examined Christianity and chose the Bible Students to represent him. Evidently Christ's standards were lower than we might expect, and even "unsatisfactory" beliefs were good enough for him to give the 'thumbs up'.

Cedars

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Ray Franz wrote something along the lines of "To say that Rutherford and his Bible Students were chosen in the year 1919 on the basis of what they were teaching then, is an insult to Jesus".

How true !

The writer of the Rev Climax book gives impetus to the old lie that Rutherford and Co were "exonerated" by referring to the previous Court's decision being reversed on Appeal. They were not "exonerated", the Court decided that as the War was over, it was pointless going to the expense and bother of a new trial.

They are still ,technically, guilty as originally charged to this day.

Thanks Alfred for your great work, and those who have added to this thread, all an honest JW needs to do is read what you have presented and they will see the WT for what it is.

• Nambo
    Nambo

I came in the troof in my 20s

The Congregation I attended had this book in thier library, even though I was still technically a Bible Study, though I was allready going on the work myself, they let me take this book home to read it.

I think it was that book and the lovely doughnuts they used to have at the assemblies that convinced me that this was the religion for me.

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

Wow Nambo, and just think, if you were still portraying those ideas listed as Bible truths, you would be looked at as an apostate dissenter. So much for the organization God chose. You wouldn't even be able to recognize it as the same organization 100 years after this was printed.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit