Finished Mystery (1917)... The book that Jesus approved...

by Alfred 102 Replies latest watchtower bible

• garyneal
    garyneal

When I asked about the old Jehovah's witnesses in the Divine Purpose book here, the elders acted as though it had never existed.

The KH where my mother in law attends has the complete collection of Studies In The Scriptures, including The Finished Mystery. It also has a lot of the other publications from that era, including The Harp of God. Watchtowers dating back to the 1930's, Awakes dating back to the 1950's (if not earlier). The Kingdom Interlinears, Emphatic Diaglott, Aid to Bible Understanding, the list goes on and on. I sneak off to the library first chance I get when I visit there.

• garyneal
    garyneal
    I think I have Harp of God in a box somewhere, which if memory serves was Booze Joe's follow up to this gem.

Yes, the title page had J. F. Rutherford as the author, copyright 1921.

This book was still teaching 1799 as the beginning of the time of the end, 1874 as Jesus' invisible return, and 1914 as the end of the harvest. It gave a chronology for 1874. Now it is totally rejected. It also taught 606 B.C.E. as the year of the destruction of Jerusalem.

• Invetigator74
    Invetigator74
    I think I have Harp of God in a box somewhere, which if memory serves was Booze Joe's follow up to this gem.

Yes, the title page had J. F. Rutherford as the author, copyright 1921.

This book was still teaching 1799 as the beginning of the time of the end, 1874 as Jesus' invisible return, and 1914 as the end of the harvest. It gave a chronology for 1874. Now it is totally rejected. It also taught 606 B.C.E. as the year of the destruction of Jerusalem.

There was the 1921 and then revised 1928 edition. I beleive the 1928 edition eliminated the section on Pastor C.T. Russell being the faithful and discreet slave.

• sd-7
    sd-7

I couldn't even read the whole thing, just the first few pages were so littered with madness that it's beyond belief. It's horrifying to think that people were actually reading this as a serious book, much less giving it to others. If Jesus were in charge of things, he would've immediately ordered all copies of this book to be destroyed, or at least filed away in the 'science fiction/fantasy' section of the local library.

--sd-7

• boyzone
    boyzone

I'm in the process of checking Alfred's references and so far all are spot on. I kinda knew how daft the book was thanks to the comments by Ray Franz on it, but I didn't realise just how ridiculous it was until now. And all attributed as coming from Jehovah!!?? WTF??

This is the book that was loudly proclaimed and distributed world-wide.

Good grief!

• Juan Viejo2
    Juan Viejo2

For anyone interested, here is Alfred's post with some additional information and links.

http://ex-jw.com/the-finished-mystery-the-book-jesus-approved

Thanks, Alfred, for sharing it...

JV

• Alfred
    Alfred

Bumping this thread for mankeli...

• minimus
    minimus

THE EVIDENCE IS OVERWHELMING!!!!

• Fernando
    Fernando

Thanks for the awesome list Alfred!

I have to agree with minimus: "the evidence is overwhelming!!!!"

• cedars
    cedars

Hi Alfred - WELL DONE for doing this. I downloaded a copy of the book myself and meant to do something similar, but after flicking through and reading some of the crazy passages I realized I would need to adopt a very resilient frame of mind in order to cope with such a task. You did what I couldn't do, and did it far better than I would have done.

I'm glad the synopsis is up on ex-jw.com, and I look forward to reading part 2!

Cedars

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit