Finished Mystery (1917)... The book that Jesus approved...

by Alfred 102 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Pahpa
    Pahpa

It is rather ironic that the book, The Finished Mystery, that caused such a great

stir at Bethel upheld the exalted view of Russell even though its publication

was strictly against the wishes of Russell. It was one of the major

factors that led the Bible Students to leave the organization and organize

their own groups. Now, the Watchtower would like to forget the contents

and the history associated with this publication.

• mrquik
    mrquik

Thanks Alfred for the synopsis. I had my father-in-laws personal copy & for years I was telling those in the congregation that this stuff was absolutely wild. Those that didn't nod & walk away would always quote that "light gets brighter & brighter" mantra. All this from someone gifted with the "Holy Spirit". You've got to wonder where it went during Russell's or Rutherford's or the current GB forays into fantasyland.

• Invetigator74
    Invetigator74

Thanks to our friend Atlantis there is a well-organized collection of links to many early publications -- including The Finished Mystery, Vol 7 (this PDF may, or may not, be the same edition that Alfred so kindly reviewed).

I just went over the 1917 version I have , and except for the illustrations , all was on point.

• Leto
    Leto

But.....But the light gets brighter!

• FatFreek 2005
    FatFreek 2005

I just went over the 1917 version I have , and except for the illustrations , all was on point.

Thanks for that, I74.

Len

• Juan Viejo2
    Juan Viejo2

Alfred - please check your PMs

• stuckinamovement
    stuckinamovement

Wow ! Thanks Alfred.

CTS was bat shit crazy and this was the foundation of the entire organization! The Society makes it a point to emphasize that the origins of a religion or custom or holiday matter very much. The same principle should be applied to the origins of this religion.

I took your list and compared it with the pdf copy of the 1918 finished mystery and it all matches up. I don't see how anyone could look at this book now and think that God specifically chose this group as his special people. It is funny because the verse by verse lunacy is the same as in the Revelation climax book. Same craziness just 80 years later.

SIAM

• palmtree67
    palmtree67

This one is my favourite:

46. In fulfillment of Ezekiel 24:15-19, God took away Russell’s desire for his wife by putting a spiritual plague over her which made her “dead” in the eyes of Russell (p.483, p.484)

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

Awesome! I need to get my copy. I think I have Harp of God in a box somewhere, which if memory serves was Booze Joe's follow up to this gem.

• LockedChaos
    LockedChaos

Nice summary

Sort of says it all

What a group

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit