About the Adam and Eve time gap....

by Lozhasleft 67 Replies latest jw friends

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

BTW- remember that I am a firm believer

In what, exactly? Belief takes a plethora of forms. Specificity would make things clearer.

• Lozhasleft
    Lozhasleft

I believe in an almighty creator Mad S ... no doubts at all.

Loz x

• tec
    tec

"Then the man and his wife heard the sound of the LORD God as he was walking in the garden in the cool of the day, and they hid from the LORD God among the trees of the garden."

I don't know what theologians say, but grammatically speaking the 'he' refers to God, not the man and his wife.

Since God is spirit, that leads me to believe that this garden is also a spiritual place that Adam and Eve were privy to, before being cast out and given garments of skin.

Tammy

• just n from bethel
    just n from bethel

If you believe the Adam and Eve story is real - the only way to do it is by rationalizing it to some kind of allegorical legend like Tammy has done. Otherwise you have to ignore the unending amounts of evidence that make it indisputably clear that men and women were around a long time before Adam and Eve of the bible.

But the whole sex thing between Adam and Eve with her not getting pregnant is a helluva story, helluva story.

• Lozhasleft
    Lozhasleft

Oh ok Tammy no problem...but I dont feel there could any have been any restrictions on the Almighty ...nor on anything he wanted them to perceive....maybe he felt that in that way they could understand/accept him more easily...

Loz x

• just n from bethel
    just n from bethel

Black Sheep - did someone really say that? Now this thread has two of the funniest lines in all of JWN. OMG ROTFLMAO again!

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

I believe in an almighty creator Mad S ... no doubts at all.

Ok. But we're not really talking about that. If we're talking about creation stories from Genesis, the creator is a given. What is your take about the story and the book it appears in? Lots of people believe in an almighty creator but there are hundreds of viewpoints about the Bible in general and this Adam and Eve story in particular.

• Lozhasleft
    Lozhasleft

Well I have a great faith in the bible but do appreciate that man has meddled with it...the Genesis story? ... I've not personally seen or found anything better/more proven to replace it ... (of course the witness slant is the one I'm discussing here re the time gap)... Jesus's referral to it gives it a lot of credence for me....

Loz x

• tec
    tec
    Oh ok Tammy no problem...but I dont feel there could any have been any restrictions on the Almighty ...nor on anything he wanted them to perceive....maybe he felt that in that way they could understand/accept him more easily...

I agree with you, Loz. I just think that (the bolded part) also might apply to the people who came afterward (us), in that a simple story could relay the truth of what happened. (without the story being any less true, or without even thinking that Adam and Eve did not exist) But using physical things (the trees, the garden, the apple) to explain spiritual things, because that's all most people can understand.

Just something to consider.

Tammy

• just n from bethel
    just n from bethel

Have you ever read Jared Diamond or taken any anthropology classes? That should help you find more accurate information which will give 100% evidence that the genesis Adam and Eve account cannot be literal.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit