• wasblind
    wasblind

((((((( Rabbit )))))))

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

bump

• AnneB
    AnneB

True story: a PO, let's say his name was Vicari ('cause it was), was told to put together the speakers and experiences for a Circuit Assembly. When the day came just about every speaker or person giving a demonstration or experience was a Vicari, or married to one. Come on, in a major US city a PO couldn't find anyone but his own relatives to take the parts???

Same Assembly: The talk was aimed at teens, telling them not to go to the Prom. Another Vicari got up there to give her experience, how she turned down an invitation and didn't go to the prom. The teens from that congregation were seething and at lunchtime I asked a couple of them why. As it happened, they all knew she had been to the prom the previous weekend and was up there lying through her teeth!

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

Anne,

Thanks for sharing that story. It doesn't surprise me about the prom thing. Good for the kids who told the truth about the situation. The convention experiences are just manipulation tactics that is all. Peace, Lilly

• rocketman
    rocketman

A fellow elder called me and asked me to be in an assembly part about people who took off from work to be in field service with the C.O. I told him that I hadn't done so in years and refused to be in the part. There was no way I was going to make it look like this was a regular occurance, and I wasn't about to travel to two additional circuit assemblies besides my own.

• rebel8
    rebel8

Yep. Many of us have commented on this before--with so many mentioning it, it has to be true. I'm surprised there hasn't been a letter from hq telling the locals to not have made up stories!

I actually lied in an assembly part. I was told to give an experience but I was told what the experience was--how I was getting pressured to go to college but I wanted to pioneer instead.

I regret any damage I did by doing so. *shudders*

My leaving soon thereafter and later getting a good college education set an example for others. Perhaps I cancelled out some of that damage.

• NVR2L8
    NVR2L8

In our congregation we had a part on singleness and how some decide not to marry in order to pioneer...a young 18 years old sister was interviewed and cited as an example since she auxilary pioneered once or twice...at that time half of the congregation knew she was engaged to be married. I told the elder who had the part that not only was she not a good example of singleness...she was also ignoring Paul's admonition to marry past the bloom of life. The elder said I was right but there were no other single person who fitted the profile for his part...so he had to be creative!

• saltyoldlady
    saltyoldlady

Giodano - I laughed myself silly reading your experience. Have had similar calls myself - so many people out there who really need a good friend but could care less about religion or the Bible. I always figured I was serving the Lord anyway by just showing human caring and compassion.

Now to relate another pathetic experience about assembly parts - in one of the halls I used to attend they had a sister who was the "gung ho" pioneer - single, worked full time and pioneered full time. So they often featured her. Trouble was I was often the one who worked in field service with her so I knew the true scoop of her experiences, the people she was talking about, etc. etc. But I never forget this once when they wanted to make a big point about how very dedicated she was - how she managed to work full time, and also pioneer full time. And what a horrific sacrifice she made for the truth. Sounds good right?

Well here's the whole story - one, I knew how she was getting her time. She accompanied her elderly mom - that in itself was nice - and since her mom wasn't so capable of walking door to door for very long they sat in coffee shops and tea shops for hours - talking to one another and anyone else that happened by and wanted to join the conversation. The rules of the game with her is they had to have a tract sitting on the table at all times - didn't have to be talking about it per se - in fact any topic of conversation was okay - as long as that little tract was visible on the table. Our territory had a plethora of eateries - so they spent their day - the entire day that way to get mega hours. Then at work she kept a tract on her desk too - and so that too counted as time. As much time as she needed to make the quota every month. Her literature placements - they were rolled up mags stuck in random doors whenever she felt the need to bring up her placement count. And of course if you left something at a door it must be a back call, right? For her - she had worked in that territory for so many years every call was always a back call no matter what. Plus we had mega accumulation of apartment buildings to work on cold or wet days where nobody would be home but you could just walk down the hallway and leave lit at every door. Etc. Etc. So her stats were SORRY fakes for the real thing but on paper they looked good.

But the true story about her tremendous sacrifice - she had inherited "millions" from her father when he died (actually it was only about 2 mil) - she didn't need to work at all. She had a wardrobe that was beyond belief, and she took the "posh" vacations, all over the globe. She was big into going to spa's and beauty treatment things and I have to say it did make her beautiful in comparison to me. I was three years older than her but she truly did look 25 years younger. Her job was one she had had for over 20 years and she held onto it to get the retirement benefits which were handsome from the University. It was the kind of job where she could come and go as she pleased - could do some of it at home online, etc. and was simple enough never took her more than 15 to 20 hours of real "job" turn up time to report to her boss. Yet she was held out as a paragon of virtue that we should all work harder. If she could do it we could too. Made me ill to my stomach to watch that portrayal.

Misleading if what I would call it - big time!

• Iamallcool
    Iamallcool

(bookmarking)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit