Do you think a lot of JWs are ashamed of their beliefs?

by I quit! 54 Replies latest jw friends

• I quit!
    I quit!

The reason I asked this is because I'm going to the funeral of a man who wasn't a JW. My mother-in-law has lived in the same neighborhood as him for years and knows his wife. I asked her if she was going attend the funeral service. I pretty much knew she wouldn't because it was being held in a church. She made some kind of excuse about she thought she had a doctors appointment which I knew she didn't but I think she even tried to make one so she would have an excuse for why she didn't attend. When I was a JW I think I was pretty straight forward about what I believe but I've noticed more than once Jdubs doing things like this. I don't know if this is a new thing or they if some of them have always played this game.

• pirata
    pirata

JWs label it "fear of man". I think it is more cognitive dissonance shoved to the back of the mind.

• Mr. Falcon
    Mr. Falcon

Absolutely. They love to publish "accounts" of JWs bravely flaunting their faith, but in reality, most JWs would sooner avoid any discussion of their beliefs. For instance, the Young People Ask articles frequently blab about some JW girl or boy who reads a bible at lunch, dresses in business casual to school, gives book reports on Bible topics, bring in Creation magazines to Science class, and REFUSE to participate in any un-mandatory school activity. But in reality, every JW I knew including myself, would downplay our religion as much as possible. Most kept their heads down to avoid any attention. And it's mostly the same of JWs of all ages.

• sir82
    sir82

I would tend to think of it more as "embarrassment" than "shame".

Ask a JW to explain:

-- Why they don't celebrate Thanksgiving, birthdays, Valentines's day, etc.

-- Why they won't support charitable endeavors like walkathons, Habitat for Humanity, United Way, etc.

-- Whether they think anyone who is not a JW will survive Armageddon when it starts

-- How a "minor fraction" of blood, which is larger than and weighs more than a "primary component" of blood, is perfectly fine to accept

-- Etc. etc. any of a dozen other issues

.... and 75% of the time you won't get the true answer. They're too embarrassed to say the real truth.

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

"Fear of Man" LOL

More like "Fear of making yourself look like an a$$"

or "Fear of looking like a wacko cult member"

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

"Your church is part of Satan's organization" is a bit harsh to say as a reason not to attend a funeral.

"I'm not allowed to attend anything inside a church because it's against Watchtower rules" is the real thing they want to say, but that cognitive dissonance kicks in.

They know it's not a good excuse. Most JW's don't confirm whether they will attend or offer no reason. They often mail a card with some WTS tract in the envelope though.

• trevor
    trevor

I think embarrassed would be an accurate description. At least - that was my experience.

• looloo
    looloo

i knew a lady years ago who was stood in the school playground and was asked byanother mother if her little girl would like to come for tea tommorow night (a tues night ) she said ummm no sorry we are busy that night ! long silence no explanation for why they were busy etc .. other mum walked off baffled , jw turned to me and said" i hate it when that happens " i was studying at the time and wondered why she never just told the truth if she was so proud of "the truth " ! never stopped me though and i ended up being her daughter in law ! she dosnt see her grandaughter !

• villabolo
    villabolo

OnTheWayOut: "I'm not allowed to attend anything inside a church because it's against Watchtower rules"

But then, of course, the next question from Mr/s Worldling would be, "Why?". No way of avoiding sounding like the anal orifices they are.

Mr. Falcon: "Most kept their heads down to avoid any attention. And it's mostly the same of JWs of all ages."

Yes, the 'born ins' among the young ones and those who have been there a while as opposed to the recently converted. The fresh ones have the motivation. I wonder if the young, newly converted ones, look like dupes in the eyes of your ordinary 'born in' JW youth.

Villabolo

• rocketman
    rocketman

I was embarrassed. I'd sometimes rather have walked over burning coals than explain the wacky beliefs I was supposed to have had. Everything from someone sneezing to the blood issue and holidays and political involvement had me cringing whenever they would come up.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit