New Light

by Spade 98 Replies latest watchtower bible

• bennyk
    bennyk
    The WATCH TOWER never claimed that the body of Christ (congregation of Christ) will be changed to spiritual beings during this year. There is such a change do sometime. We have not attempted to say when, but have repeatedly said that it could not take place before the fall of 1881. -Zion's Watch Tower May 1881 p. 5-6

I'll call BS on the above. Note the following:

DECEMBER, 1880. THE RESTORED DOMINION.

Soon, probably by, possibly before, the fall of 1881, we shall be changed-- born of

the spirit [of which we are now begotten] into the glorious likeness of our Head.

JANUARY, 1881. "HOW LONG, O LORD?"

In the article concerning our change, in December paper, we expressed the opinion that it was nearer than many supposed, and while we would not attempt to prove our change at any particular time, yet we propose looking at some of the evidences which seem to show the translation or change from the natural to the spiritual condition, due this side or by the fall of our year 1881.The evidence that our change will be by that time, increases since we have seen that the change to spiritual bodies is not the marriage. While we thought the marriage to be the change, and knowing there was three and a half years of special favor to the Nominal Church (now left desolate) from 1878, we could not expect any translation this side of 1881, or during this three and a half years. But since we recognize that going into the marriage is not only being made ready (by recognizing His presence) for the change, but also, that going in includes the change itself, then the evidences that we go in (or will be changed) inside of the time mentioned are strong, and commend themselves to all interested as worthy of investigation. Aside from any direct proof that our change is near, the fact that the manner of the change can now be understood, is evidence that we are near the time of the change,for truth is "meat in due season," and understood only as due.

[...]

We shall now present what we adduce from the types and prophetic points as seeming to indicate the translation of the saints and closing of the door to the high calling by 1881.

[...]

If this be a correct application (and it seems harmonious) and the time of building is seven years, then we would expect our change by or before the fall of 1881, as from 1874 to then would be the time given for building.

• Spade
    Spade

"DECEMBER, 1880. THE RESTORED DOMINION.

Soon, probably by, possibly before, the fall of 1881, we shall be changed-- born of

the spirit [of which we are now begotten] into the glorious likeness of our Head."

That was written by AD Jones:

jv chap. 28 pp. 620-621 Testing and Sifting From Within

In 1881, A. D. Jones, another associate, started a paper (Zion’s Day Star) along the same lines as the Watch Tower but with the idea that it would set out simpler features of God’s purpose. At first it seemed that all was well. Yet, within a year, Jones’ paper had repudiated Christ’s atoning sacrifice, and within another year, it had rejected all the rest of the Bible. What had happened to those men? They had allowed personal theories and fascination with popular philosophies of men to lead them astray from the Word of God. (Compare Colossians 2:8.) The paper published by A. D. Jones continued for only a short time and then faded from view. J. H. Paton decided to publish a magazine in which he set out the gospel as he saw it, but its circulation was quite limited.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

I know a lot of it, but I've never read the Bible from cover to cover. A mistaken viewpoint doesn't change what the Bible says, make it untruthful or inaccurate. I've read much of the Watchtower Society's early literature. It's all well written, put together and its aim is seamless conformity to God's Word. If you examine it under a microscope you'll find an error(s). That's why many books have revisions.

Is it me or is this person speaking out of both sides of his/her mouth?

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

I know a lot of it, but I've never read the Bible from cover to cover.

Then why are you acting like you are an authority on the Bible? All you are doing is looking up topics from the WT library and then pasting them here. Here is an idea, go and read the bible from cover to cover. Then study it. Then study it some more. Spend a few years doing this. And THEN come back and give me a defense on how the Watchtower has a correct or incorrect view of the Bible. That is what I have done. It is what alot of people on this site have done. The indesputable conclusion is that IF God has an organization on earth today to be His sole channel of communication...well...it's definitely NOT the Watchtower.

• sherah
    sherah

My thought exactly, Mrs.J. How does one know what the bible says if they haven't read it.

Right, they rely on the WT to do their thinking and interpreting for them.

• Spade
    Spade

I've read enough of the Bible to back the things I say.

• sherah
    sherah

The very title of this thread is WT based term not found in the bible. Perhaps you should finish reading the bible.

• brotherdan
    brotherdan
    I've read enough of the Bible to back the things I say.

I've read half of war and peace. Does that make me an authority who can expound on its deeper meanings and tell you what Tolstoy REALLY meant when he was writing it? Of course not.

I'm glad you have exposed yourself as a non-authority.

• Spade
    Spade

"The very title of this thread is WT based term not found in the bible. Perhaps you should finish reading the bible."

The word [universe] isn't in the Bible either. That doesn't make it a non-reality.

• sherah
    sherah

Poor analogy.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit