So an 8 year old is killed by a machine-gun and it's no ones fault?

by Simon 165 Replies latest social current

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

I just came back from pumping gas (prices going higher btw) The sign on the pump said ....No one under 16 allowed to pump gas.

This thread came to mind.

purps

and this just happened, CNN reported three shot

Gardena High School on Lockdown After Shooting

KTLA News

11:04 AM PST, January 18, 2011

GARDENA, Calif. (KTLA) -- Gardena High School is on lockdown after an officer-involved shooting on or near campus.

The shooting was reported in the 1300 block of West 182nd Street around 10:30 a.m. Tuesday.

Not much is known about the incident.

At least one person has been wounded.

Two ambulances were seen parked outside the school.

• llbh
    llbh

TD you ask me what I am allowed to defend myself with in a public place, the simple answer is whatever is to hand, I would not expect to be the victim of any gun crime, nor do our police who use Truncheons largely, as i said only specially trained officers carry them. I regularly go into central London and feel quite safe. I suspect if I lived in The US and in a dodgy area i might want to own a gun, and that proves my point, that allowing the sale of firearms more people carry them; and in particular the criminals, no one wins, even the bad guys. This is the case in large parts of Europe too.

Surely what is needed is a debate in how to decrease violence, rather than demand rights.

David

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    TD you ask me what I am allowed to defend myself with in a public place, the simple answer is whatever is to hand

Well that sucks, especially if you are frail or feminine.

Surely what is needed is a debate in how to decrease violence, rather than demand rights.

Self defense is a human right.

BTS

• llbh
    llbh

Thanks for your contribution bts, thoughtfull as ever, it made me think.. a little.

David

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Thanks. I do think it matters. We may agree to disagree on this issue, but at least here I am free to choose.

The pictures are from this excellent website run by a graphic artist:

http://www.a-human-right.com/

Cheers,

BTS

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

For our Canadian friends, the homosexual rights group Pink Pistols now has a chapter operating in your country.

http://www.pinkpistols.org/local/bc-lowermainland/index.html

http://www.pinkpistols.org/

BTS

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    For our Canadian friends, the homosexual rights group Pink Pistols now has a chapter operating in your country.

Their Canadian chapter might be successful, in view of some of the anti-gay violence in the news.

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/article/823190--gay-men-targets-of-violence-as-hate-crimes-jump

• sd-7
    sd-7

Well. This is just...I mean, how many kids have died from playing with guns as it is? Without a parent putting the gun in a kid's hand? I mean...it's just crazy. It goes beyond stupid and goes to crazy.

The right to bear arms, I thought, was for the purpose of maintaining militia forces to defend the country from potential invaders. And I'm pretty sure that an 8-year-old doesn't qualify for weapons practice yet.

I don't agree personally with owning a firearm, but if you're going to own one for defense, at least get proper training. I would think that if the right to bear arms is to serve what I think (and I may be wrong) its original intention was, then everyone who decides to buy a weapon has just joined the local state militia, to be called upon in the event that their particular state is attacked by the armed forces of another nation (or even another state, should it come to that, in the event of a civil war). Again, I may be wrong.

Whatever the case, gun shows are not for children any more than a gentleman's club is for children. People who go there have to be able to be adults about what they're doing.

Good grief...where do people get their brains these days?

--sd-7

• sd-7
    sd-7

Oh. Reading some posts here prompted me to add:

Also, guns could be useful for hunting for the sake of food, though I'm not for this whole hunting-for-sport stuff, since I'm sure nobody would like it if THEY were hunted for sport and their head was hung on somebody's wall.

And...for defending one's home, I guess in the same way as a militia might defend a state. Each home being sort of a sovereign entity in smaller form. But the fact that we have become a point, click and kill society is a real shame. There's got to be a better way to deal with it all. I guess not, huh? We're just at the mercy of whoever can pull the trigger fastest and best, us or them, right?

It makes me wonder if humanity is worth saving, when it comes down to it. Stuff like this makes me think...maybe not.

--sd-7

• llbh
    llbh

I am free to chose too BTS and I prefer to live in The UK. I note that you failed to address the wider issue in my last post, and that surely is part of the reason Simon began this thread.

I have managed perfectly well to live in gun free society.BTW my mum and my wife both small women have not felt vulnerable either, nor does my 80 y mil feel the need to carry a gun.

From my understanding most gun crime is visited upon criminals ( usually drug addicts) by other people of a similar ilk. Drugs here are a huge problem as in The US, sensible debate about to reduce its use would, without doubt reduce usage and crime.

David

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit