So an 8 year old is killed by a machine-gun and it's no ones fault?

by Simon 165 Replies latest social current

• tenyearsafter
    tenyearsafter

thetrueone,

You kind of made my point with the statement, "The law authorities here that come into situations where hand guns were used in a crime were found to originate from the States."...despite strict gun laws in Canada, people with ill intent will obtain weapons outside of the law.

TYA

• Simon
    Simon
    I had an acquaintance who always wanted to visit Great Britain. She finally did and was attacked by a couple of hoodlums over there who knocked out her front teeth with a beer bottle. In the scuffle she pulled out a tiny little 2" pocket knife to defend herself and for that was criminally charged and narrowly escaped serving a prison sentence. It made the national news here. Everyone was outraged including the most enthusiastic gun control advocates.

Sadly, there are ciminals everywhere. It's hard to comment on specifics (maybe she went into a bad area without realizing it?) but the fact is, without guns, there is less chance that people die. She's still here for instance.

If it made the national news, I'm sure you'll be able to post a link to it to backup the story ...

• VM44
    VM44

I think he was let off because he was a police chief, anyone else would have been convicted!

• Simon
    Simon
    This one is a Hard Call..The father is responsible for his sons death..He knows it... Do you lock him up for stupidity?..He`s already suffering... He will pay for the rest of his life..

You protect the child from their idiotic parents by not allowing people to setup stalls to fire off guns.

Really, there is no need for it.

Americans are always keen to remind the world that the are a D-E-M-O-C-R-A-C-Y and yet, they then show complete lack of trust in it by claiming that they need to arm themselves in order to be on the ready to fight against the very government that they put there.

You can't have it both ways. Either your democracy works and you don't need the guns or your democracy is broken in which case STOP trying to export it to the rest of the world OR you just have a lot of nutters who have no business running round with dangerous weapons and they should be taken away from them.

Again though, like free-speech, guns are GREAT for business ... if your business is the legal system.

Yes, gun crime happens in Canada and the UK and in other countries as well but we can debate the issue without resorting to crazy absolute claims of "we're all allowed guns, end of discussion".

• TD
    TD

Simon

If it made the national news, I'm sure you'll be able to post a link to it to backup the story ...

I'll look but this was not recent. The year was 1992 or 93. You're right, she did go into a rough neighborhood without knowing it. it's easy for a tourist to do in any large city. She was charged under section 139 of the Criminal Justice Act of 1988. The knife in question was small, but not a folding knife. It was a novelty item (Actually schwag from a trade show) where the blade extended stilleto style under thumb pressure.

I'm not criticizing the law in Great Britain. --Just pointing out that what works in London is not practical in many cities in the U.S. This is a violent country and always has been.

• Simon
    Simon
    This is a violent country and always has been.

Other countries 'have been' very violent in the past but aren't any more to the same extent.

I think *not* promoting a gun culture helps with that.

• VM44
    VM44

This is an interesting article:

"America is a Constitutional Republic . . . NOT a Democracy"

http://www.stopthenorthamericanunion.com/NotDemocracy.htm

• VM44
    VM44

THe USA is the contry that developed the atomic bomb......in order to stop violence.

• VM44
    VM44

Back to the original topic.

The eight year old should not have been given the gun, no matter what training he is said to have had.

Because, something did go wrong, and disaster resulted.

• Mary
    Mary
    Some of you actually have the dumbass idea that gun stores are in every mall and are selling weapons to anybody and everybody.

Gee, where would we get that idea from? Let's see: On Nov. 30 last year, the mentally disturbed Jared Lee Loughner bought a Glock semi-automatic pistol at Sportsman's Warehouse in Tucson. The transaction was perfectly legal. He then purchased the ammunition at a local Wal-Mart.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit