So an 8 year old is killed by a machine-gun and it's no ones fault?

by Simon 165 Replies latest social current

• WontLeave
    WontLeave

And you're saying the average guy who joins the army instead of his only other option (fast food) is somehow more suited to entrust with military-grade weapons? Of course, because other than on base, he doesn't have access to any of it until he's overseas. Let the drooling hick blow up the residents of some other country; it's no skin off our backs. But wait until those same weapons are pointed at you and your family and those same drooling hicks are under orders from corrupt, power-hungry government officials. "Nuremberg Trials" mean anything to you?

In a perfect world, nobody would have a weapon; I think everyone agrees on that. We wouldn't have police, hospitals, politicians, courts, etc. When you see that world, let me know. I'll get a hammer and join in beating all the guns into plowshares. Until then, you can trust the government all you want and buy into the cradle-to-grave nanny state; just please don't expect me to join in with your sentiment. Even with the tattered remains of rights like the 2nd Amendment, they're not to be trusted. Imagine how they would be without them.

• HintOfLime
    HintOfLime

More laws and the reduction of rights will not stop irresponsible and stupid people from killing themselves and others.

Stupid always finds a way.

You cannot create a perfect world by creating enough rules and removing enough freedoms.

- Lime

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Mentally ill people who commit violence are a tiny percentage of the mentally ill. This percentage does a lot of damage, usually more than the non mentally ill violent, because the illness delusions give them extraordinary strength and no inhibitions. Exposed to a general population of mentally ill, I came close to death or severe bodily injury about five times in a short span. Nothing so bad ever happened to me in a truly general population.

The world is appalled by the American worship of guns. Its origins make sense in a frontier society with no or little law enforcement. I am so urban I see no sport in hunting. Perhaps if humans wrestled the prey down to the ground with their own hands. In a battle between a two year old and an adult, the adult will win the physical battle. So where is the sport? The arm of the law extends everywhere in today's society. Possees are no longer need. A rifle makes sense in some rural areas but machine guns?

The Supreme Court's recent Second Amendment decision was disastrous. We are admired for our spunk and freedoms as individuals but others see American society as amoral and barbaric. I am adamantly against guns in urban.suburban locations. Yet when the not so true reports about mayhem in New Orleans during Katarina were aired, I was ready to grab a gun and go down and help those poor people.

• RULES & REGULATIONS
    RULES & REGULATIONS

WIKIPEDIA : ''In colonial era Anglo-American usage, militia service was distinguished from military service in that the latter was normally a commitment for a fixed period of time of at least a year, for a salary, whereas militia was only to meet a threat, or prepare to meet a threat, for periods of time expected to be short. Militia persons were normally expected to provide their own weapons, equipment, or supplies, although they may later be compensated for losses or expenditures.''

''Because of manpower shortages the militia provided short-term support to the regulars in the field throughout the war.''

SIMON:

The National Rifle Association argues that individuals have the right to bear arms. The Second Amendment guaranteed ''the rights of states to form militias not for individuals to bear arms.'' They can't see the difference between the word ''militia'' and ''individual.''

Special interest groups control the USA. They control banking,energy,food prices,and pharmaceutical prices.

• journey-on
    journey-on

WontLeave..... (post 26)

leavingwt....... (post 10711)

darthfader..... (post 478)

• joelingeorgia
    joelingeorgia

as in any event, a thousand, a million pieces fit together to make this happen.

he was teased in the 8th grade by a girl for being ugly

he was spanked, in his mind unjustly by his father at age 9

he had a mental imbalance caused by bad nutrition, or genetics or from doing drugs

he listened to Glen Beck

he was mad because a black president was elected.

he watched a movie that gave him the idea that he needed to kill somebody.

you simply can't dissect everything that goes on in a person's mind that leads them to their destiny.

• WontLeave
    WontLeave

The Second Amendment guaranteed "the rights of states to form militias not for individuals to bear arms."

Actually, the 2nd Amendment acknowledges the need for the government to be armed "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State" and so the government doesn't, in turn, transform from a protector of the people to a bully, ruled that " the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." This is another of the checks and balances instituted by the Constitution to keep the government as honest as can be legislated. Chopping up the sentence and moving the words around to make it seem like only the government (the militia) can be armed is the exact opposite of what the 2nd Amendment and the entire Constitution stand for.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

You think guns will protect you from the US government? Try to tell the South that. There was this little thing called The War Between the States, or as the American Civil War as others like to call it. Fat lot of good guns did southerners when they tried to stand up for State rights.

• journey-on
    journey-on
    Fat lot of good guns did southerners when they tried to stand up for State rights.

At least they stood up for something they whole-soul believed in.

FHN, if (and it's a big "if").....but, IF, we were invaded from our borders, or IF there was some kind of government illegal intrusion, what would you do? Just stand there shrugging your shoulders I would imagine.

Be glad there are some still left in the world that have guts and aren't constantly thinking about what someone else can do for them, but what they can do for someone else. You would be damn happy for that quiet solid-thinking neighbor down the street that owns and respects guns.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Journey, I am more on the side of logic. An ant can stand up to a foot all he wants. In the end, the foot is going to win. There are smarter ways to deal with a much bigger foe.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit