So an 8 year old is killed by a machine-gun and it's no ones fault?

by Simon 165 Replies latest social current

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

I served in the Canadian army, I was a sniper.

I don't like guns, not because there is anything worng with guns per say, they are a tool, but because with them, life becomes cheap and killing becomes too "clean".

The father od this child and the operator of the booth will have to live with the consequences of that day for the rest of their lives.

Somewhere along the way, life became less sacred and guns began to be viewed as something other than what they are - a tool to kill another living creature.

We speak of rights and speak of protection and defense and speak of many things except what happens when a gun is actually used VS another human being.

A life is taken, a life that can never be given back.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    So an 8 year old is killed by a machine-gun and it's no ones fault?

Only an idiot would let an 8 year old child fire a full auto micro Uzi.

But then, only an idiot would let an 8 year old drive a high performance automobile.

By all means, let's ban cars too.

So, you don't think the obvious solution applies ... don't allow open access to machine guns?

You are misinformed, there is no open access to machine guns. Full auto weapons are severely restricted in the US.

It has been this way since the National Firearms Act of 1934.

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/national-firearms-act-machine-guns.html

Very few people own them outside of government agencies, but those that do, enjoy them!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31vm3-BQRJU

BTS

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    Can someone tell me the minimal amount of weapon-grade Anthrax spores i should stockpile in my home to safely keep the government in check? you know, the goverment has it... what good is a militia if its just armed with old huntin' rifles?
    is it best to store it in the freezer or in the garage? right now i keep it in the trunk because my wife does not read the labels on stuff in the freezer and ever since King, our grizzly bear, got hold of the bag she said i should not keep it in the house.. at least not until i found a way to prevent the neighbours garage door from interfeering with the trigger mechanism.

Bad argument, weapons of mass destruction are not the personal arms of a foot soldier. Even back in 1790, the 2nd Amendment did not apply towards owning your own artillery piece, or fully armed warship. It applied to the sort of weapons a citizen could own in case he joined a militia to fight back against an unconstitutional government. That is small arms.

This was upheld even in the infamously anti-2nd Amendment Miller case (the court found the defendant's sawed-off shotguns to not be military weapons and therefore bannable, which is/was ridiculous).

BTS

• james_woods
    james_woods

To answer the title question, of course this was someone's fault - the person(s) supervising the child.

What the court found was that no crime had been committed.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    I agree with you that this invalidates some of the arguments that are brought forth by gun owners and Second Ammendment advocates. Clearly a citizenry with only small arms is no match for a modern army.

TD, I think recent world history demonstrates otherwise. Afghanistan under the Soviet occupation, for example. Along with the US, the Soviets had the world's most modern military in the 1980s, and they were forced to abandon Afghanistan. A people with high levels of small arms ownership cannot be subdued against its will and modern military technology has not invalidated this.

BTS

• bohm
    bohm

BTS, i was making a joke -- i felt the arguments where so generic they could be applied to any type of weapon.

in essence, there was a lack of "arms are good... but some are to dangerous"

you can see a poster argue private people should own anti-aircraft systems and tanks a few pages back. thats what i was trying to poke fun at.

• james_woods
    james_woods

I sometimes wonder if the distaste shown here by some U.K. and Canadian posters for the U.S. law and political system may be related to the fact that the JW religion was originally an American invention.

• BurnTheShips
  • BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    You can still buy a hunting rifle Shamus, but just not a Mac-10, AK-47 or a Glock 19 and other assortment of guns impractical for hunting.

Impractical for hunting? Says who?

Ar-15

SKS

AK

Glock.

I own all the above, except the Glock.

BTS

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

I had a friend that served with me, he was native, Iroquois and he loved to hunt and was a pretty good shot.

I wasn't, and still am not, a fan of hunting ( I don't agree with killing animals above and beyond what we need, inother words, I disgaree with those that "hunt for sport").

But the one thing that I saw with him that I haven't seen with the other hunters I have been with, was this incredible respect for the animal that he hunted.

He never "trophied" it and after each kill he would say a prayer of the body, I found that very respectful.

I bring this up because of BTS pics, I find them a tad disturbing.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit