Congresswoman Shot in Tucson

by leavingwt 442 Replies latest social current

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

You don't need a gun to engage in violence, LLBH. The recent violence against the royals in London is a good example. I am not aware of firearms in the recent Greek riots, either, yet people died.

The most violent country in Europe: Britain is also worse than South Africa and U.S.

The U.S. has a violence rate of 466 crimes per 100,000 residents, Canada 935, Australia 92 and South Africa 1,609. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1196941/The-violent-country-Europe-Britain-worse-South-Africa-U-S.html

Our violent crime rates continue to fall, despite the economic situation.

BTS

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

The morning TV news reported that the congresswoman was a supporter of gun ownership rights.

Yes thats an irony in itself but does one person's opinion create a supporting argument even if that individual has

become a victim of gun violence ?

I wonder if she and her husband's viewpoint might change now after what they are going through .

• beksbks
    beksbks

To compare rioting to simmering individuals engaging in random acts of violence is ridiculous.

• whereami
    whereami

What I find interesting is when we hear of a JW in the news that rapes or kills someone or there're family because he heard voices in his head telling him to do it for GOD we imidiatlely associate the WTS to it. We conclude that the fact that this person was a JW definitely had something if not all to do with it. Yeah he might have been a bit nuts but the WTS indoctrination/rhetoric sure did help.

Why is it any different in this case?

• beksbks
    beksbks

Look what perfectly normal people can do when faced with fear and pressure from authority figures. Take a look at the Stanford Experiment, and the Milgram Experiment. I'm sure there are others.

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

You don't need a gun to engage in violence.

Of course not thats not whats in question , what is in question is the easy availability of guns has they are sold and marketed

to the public, sold to people who may or may not be mentally balanced.

• beksbks
    beksbks

LOL, from the very article Burn linked and got his chart

But criminologists say crime figures can be affected by many factors, including different criminal justice systems and differences in how crime is reported and measured.
    New Home Secretary Alan Johnson is to make his first major speech on crime today
    In Britain, an affray is considered a violent crime, while in other countries it will only be logged if a person is injured.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1196941/The-violent-country-Europe-Britain-worse-South-Africa-U-S.html#ixzz1Af8geXQ7

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

The U.S. has a violence rate of 466 crimes per 100,000 residents, Canada 935, Australia 92 and South Africa 1,609.

There are other mitigating factors into the volume of violence in a set society.

The focused question into play here is particular involving around GUN violence, not just violence as a generalization.

There was a graphical statistic out once that showed the level of GUN violence in comparison to other countries

and I'm pretty sure the United States came out on top in this regard.

• darthfader
    darthfader

There is a national registry that gun stores must check before selling a gun to anyone. Each state has a process in place to report the "mentally unstable" to the NICS. Some states are better than others at reporting to the list. The problem would be that no institution had "reason" to report the idiot. His school and other organizations are not in the business to classify individuals as mentally deficient. Hospitals and medical practitioners would be the right group to report such individuals, but he was never treated in such capacity. So no matter - he wouldnt have been on the list.

It looks to me like this crime was basically unpreventable.

• llbh
    llbh

No you do not need a gun to engage in violence bts, yet you have threatened violence on a person, who believed that should you find out where he lived you would cause him harm, that is awful, and that because he showed the paucity of your arguments..

Now for your statitistice, the Newpaper which from which you quote is well known for its hyperbole so I would not be in a rush to quote from it if i were you.

A very senior police officer with whom I have had many long cinversations laments to me that the media here does give credit for the reduction in crime, and he provides a long line of statistics to prove his points. We have far fewer crimes since he first became a junior officer 25 years ago.

We in the UK are not a society awash with violent crime, so you need to do better than quote fro The Mail that has its own well known and poorly informed agenda.

David

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit