Congresswoman Shot in Tucson

by leavingwt 442 Replies latest social current

• Justitia Themis
    Justitia Themis
    If you would like to logically and unemotionally comment on the analysis, feel free.

I already have. To connect Palin to the shooting is stupid. If you are going to do that, might as well connect a whole bunch of other people at the other end of the political spectrum, too.

BTS

Epic intellectual failure.

• darthfader
    darthfader

Preliminary investigation all points to the fact that the guy was unstable. I think any link to political parties is a bit premature. In the meantime, I think it's more constructive to discuss what good if any that could come out of this tragedy.

I feel for the ones who lost their family members -- the husband who stood in front of his wife to protect her and got shot in the head. That's the real loss here. Its always amazing how "normal people" commit selfless and heroic acts in the face of the gravest of danger.

• Simon
    Simon

I think it brings into focus how rediculously broken American politics is.

No one really discusses the issues, instead they hurl insults and shout "la la la I can't hear you".

The people who stoke the extreme feelings and get people riled up and resort to the cheap emotive language are the ones who bear some responsibility and IMO should be driven out of the political process.

• Simon
    Simon

Funny how the right are instantly trying to protect their right to have everyone armed to the teeth.

Wasn't your argument that allowing people to carry guns would stop things like this from happening?

• journey-on
    journey-on
    Funny how the right are instantly trying to protect their right to have everyone armed to the teeth.
    Wasn't your argument that allowing people to carry guns would stop things like this from happening?

Total complete exaggeration! This is emotive language trying to disguise itself.

The "issue" is no longer the issues. It has become about where our country is headed ideologically and that chasm is deepening as more and more people gain access to more and more information. Fundamental change and what that means exactly has become THE ISSUE.

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

This young guy who committed this heinous act was suffering from one or more symptoms of paranoid disillusioned schizophrenia.

Enhanced no less with the fearful distrust and hatred toward government officials as well as the police, who busted him once for drug possession.

Being rejected as an applicant to join the US military could have also heighten his hatred toward the government as a whole.

The recent and apparent emotional distrust posed against the people who are holding positions in government right now just stoked up

his off balanced fragile emotional state. How the US federal government has been putting money out to corrupt corporations and doing little for the

poorer working class has caused some to go off the deep end emotionally.

I agree with what Simon stated though on the easy accessibility of guns in certain areas of the States. How is a gun shop owner to know if

the person in his store is emotionally unstable and positioning himself to commit harm to others ? The point is where there are gun shops,

there are going to be emotionally off balanced people willfully wanting to buy guns with intent to harm others. Where there are no gun shops

with flashing neon signs in the window, you wont find these things happening.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Op-Ed Contributor
    What We Learned in Oklahoma City
    By BILL CLINTON
    Published: April 18, 2010

"As we exercise the right to advocate our views, and as we animate our supporters," Clinton wrote, "we must all assume responsibility for our words and actions before they enter a vast echo chamber and reach those both serious and delirious, connected and unhinged."

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/19/opinion/19clinton.htm...

• darthfader
    darthfader

I dont think any measure of gun control will be effective. Marijuana and other "hard" drugs are illegal, and it's still very easy for people to acquire them. Disclaimer... I dont own a gun and very likely never will. I have gone to shooting ranges as a kid with friends for target practice.

Like I said before -- It still looks likt this was an act of an insane person -- and its not political. Congresswoman Gifford was just a famous person and an easy target for this person to acheive a modicum of fame.

• beksbks
    beksbks

Six

The last time I saw the rhetoric revved up to anything close to today, was when Clinton was in office. I predicted a similar reaction this time. It's even worse. The right simply can not abide being out of power.

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

Here's another video of what was described as one of his favorites .

Confirming his hatred of the Federal government and how it operates itself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3L1lsLU-kUw

Its appearing more and more that this idiot was a attention seeking government hating anarchist,

quite emotionally unstable on his thoughts and ideas.

There is an suggestion being put out that he was trying to start a revolution against the government,

a complete takeover of sorts to overthrow the government and start a new currency.

The question that is being evaluated is did the actual hatred of the government drive him deep into insanity pushing him to violently act out

on his disillusions ?

Since Arizona has the death penalty, eventually there's going to come a time when he's really going to hate the government .

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit