Congresswoman Shot in Tucson

by leavingwt 442 Replies latest social current

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    :) You know, when your only response is to consistently resort to name calling and perjoratives, it simply documents the weakness of your argument.

Of course it doesn't. The fact that you choose to focus on a single word, rather than the argument, proves it. Your only rebuttal is my choice of words. You posted Palin's map on page 1 to create a guilt by association. That is bullshit, as has been demonstrated.

However, Palin did make sure that she took down the map with Congresswoman Giffords in her crosshairs from her site BEFORE tweeting her condolences.

Out of respect, I would guess.

Why did DailyKos and the DLC do the same thing with theirs?

BTS

• Giordano
    Giordano

TUCSON, Ariz. -- Former classmates of Jared Loughner, accused of a fatal shooting rampage outside a Tucson grocery store, described him as opinionated and not concerned about what people thought of him.

Loughner, 22, was taken into custody minutes after Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords and 18 others were gunned down Saturday, shortly after the Democratic lawmaker began a "Congress on Your Corner" event.

Jeff Shope, who went to high school with Loughner, said, "I want to know why he did it. Obviously, there's looking into that. (I have) no clue."

The New York Times reported that a video that Loughner made caused officials at Pima Community College to suspend him and tell his parents he could not return until he had a mental health evaluation. Loughner attended Pima from the summer of 2005 until October 2009 when he withdrew after the suspension.

A Tucson Army recruiter, 1st Sgt. Brian Homme, told that Lughner tried to enlist in the Army in 2008 and took a physical. Homme said he was rejected as unqualified. He declined to provide further information, saying the Army does not make its reasons public.

A former friend of Loughner, Caitlin Parker, told ABC News that the suspect had once met Giffords.

"As I knew him more and more after high school, he got a little more odd," said Parker. "I mean, he was obsessed with the 2012 prophecy. He met Gabrielle Giffords once in '07 and told me he asked her some question that made absolutely no sense to me, but he said, `I can't believe she doesn't understand it. Politicians just don't get it.'"

Lynda Sorenson said she once took a math class with Loughner said said he "disrupted class frequently with nonsensical outbursts."

As of Saturday evening, Pima County Sheriff Clarence Dupnik said the gunman may not have acted alone.

"Overnight, authorities released a surveillance camera photo of a man taken near the shooting scene. They said they wanted to talk to the man -- a white male with dark hair, dressed in blue jeans and a dark blue jacket.

The photo showed a man walking into a store with his hands in his pockets. Authorities said he is 40 to 50 years old.

at least five people were killed and Giffords was shot in the head in the episode, which unfolded as the Democratic congresswoman was greeting constituents in her district in Tucson, Arizona.

Police say the shooter is in custody. He has been identified by officials familiar with the investigation as Jared Loughner, 22.

Officials say Loughner told authorities at the scene he had acted alone, although it is not certain that is the case. "

http://ktar.com/category/local-news-articles/20110108/Gunman-in-Tucson-shooting-identified/

• Violia
    Violia

What a beautiful child . This is so incredibly sad. Look at all the reports from classmates and others regarding his behavior. Sounds like he should have been brought in for a 72 hour hold for evaluation prior to any of this happening. It might have saved lives. Mentally ill people often focus on something political or religious. These are common delusions.

• Justitia Themis
    Justitia Themis
    :) You know, when your only response is to consistently resort to name calling and perjoratives, it simply documents the weakness of your argument.

Of course it doesn't. The fact that you choose to focus on a single word, rather than the argument, proves it. Your only rebuttal is my choice of words. You posted Palin's map on page 1 to create a guilt by association. That is bullshit, as has been demonstrated.

Of course...it does. In fact, the response of choice for those who have no logical response to an argument is to curse and engage in name-calling, which is your general response of choice. That's why there are sage sayings that address the issue. Perhaps you should consider and integrate the following: Anger is never without an argument, but seldom with a good one. --George Savile

I'm going to repost my analysis. If you would like to logically and unemotionally comment on the analysis, feel free. If you would like to try to replace logic and reason with sarcastic name-calling, feel even more free to do that. I particularly enjoy it when you make a fool of yourself.

I am saying is that to say Ms. Palin or the "Right" are responsible for this is stretching credibility.

Define "are responsible." You are perhaps correct in only the narrowest of intepretations of the word "responsibility." Are they directly responsible (assuming this does turn out to be politically motivated)? No.

Could they be indirectly responsible? Yes. Could they have created an environment in which such an act might seem appropriate to someone with mental issues? Absolutely. So I do not agree that it is "stretching credibility" to place on them a modicum of blame.

The is a question of duty. Do politicians who have a platform from which to disseminate information and incite the passions of their constituents have a responsibility to do so in a manner so as to not give the appearance of promoting violence? I say yes. On this element, Sarah Palin fails.

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

Sarah Palin is toast. Even before this, her star was fading. Notice her new book tanked immediately, despite releasing it in time for Christmas.

She is the poster girl for everything wrong with RW extremism: ignorant, religious fundamentalist, violent and dishonest. And smirky. This is the GOP's chance to drop her by the wayside. The Tea Party, too.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    If you would like to logically and unemotionally comment on the analysis, feel free.

I already have. To connect Palin to the shooting is stupid. If you are going to do that, might as well connect a whole bunch of other people at the other end of the political spectrum, too.

BTS

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

Done editing?

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Comedian Frank Conniff tweets ...
    "Hey, Sarah Palin, hows that hatey, killy, reloady, crosshairsy thing working out for ya?"
  • NeckBeard
    NeckBeard

Democrat puts gun sights on Republican opponent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epdJWNA65oY

• villabolo
    villabolo

BTS: "Something happens, and it is suddenly the fault of Palin or the Tea Party."

Republicans, the party of irresponsibility.

To begin with, Burns, it's not a matter of "something happens" as you said. It's been happening all along in the form of hundreds of threats, vandalism, murder of legal immigrants etc.. We can't be mindf*cked into believing, for one second, that all the hate-mongering vomit spewing out of the sphinchter-mouths of Gwen Dreck and Rush Limburgher are merely coincidental with all of this.

Stripped of its mysticism and afterlife, I'm a firm believer in the concept of Karma. A day of retribution will descend upon the morally torpid.

“He who troubles his own house will inherit the wind, And the fool will be servant to the wise of heart.” Proverbs 11:29—New King James Version.

Villabolo

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit