Window Washers

by dontplaceliterature 131 Replies latest jw experiences

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

Last cong I was in had several cleaners, some of them pioneering as well.

Not all of them made heaps of money - one family deliberately earned below a certain threshold so they could also claim some concessions from the govt.

• blondie
    blondie

Farkel, I think you underestimate your skills and intelligence. Being told how to do something and being able to do it with skill are 2 different things. I can tell someone how to play a piano, and even show them, but they to show understanding, practice it, and have some talent.

• looloo
    looloo

in the congregation i was in i would say at least half the men attending were window cleaners !

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I tried washing my own windows. Internet research was conducted. I asked word of mouth help. The supplies added up. It looked far worse than before. Before it was grunt work but now I see it as a true skill.

I feel slightly uncomfortable about status here.My personal inclination is to bite into money and worldly power. I attended elite schoolls and have had very impressive jobs. It was the antidote to JWs in my mind. My KH seemed abnormally poor. Most of the congregation could not read beyond the second or third grade. The ignorance was astoudning. Yet, individually, they were nice, good people. I always studied and worked so frenetically to distance myself from that culture. Yet my JW aunt and uncle were superb Christians. They were simple people. Somehow simple is abhorent to me in JWs but when monastic orders in the Catholic, Anglican or Orthodox churches are simple, it is a virtue I respect.

The few times I've engaged with Witnesses I realize I could not interact with them b/c there was no common reference. Character is important to me. If Armageddon ever arrived as predicted, the WTS would make sense with its culture. Now the culture condemns people to menial jobs.

• nancy drew
    nancy drew

There were quite a few window washers in my old cong.

• Yan Bibiyan
    Yan Bibiyan

My study conductor (elder in his late 20s at the time) was a window washer. Honest to God!

-Yan

• Bangalore
    Bangalore

More than window washers, it is the brain washers we should be worried about.

Bangalore

• xcellxior
    xcellxior

Very common job for JWs especially in UK + Ireland.

Several elders + MS are window cleaners. A lot of the young married men are also window cleaners.

They make good money, well they used to dont know what its like now. I never pay anyone to wash my windows thats what rain is for... :P

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I believe the term "window washers" is a generic term. Most of the witlesses do some kind of cleaning or similar job.

Now, there is no inherent shame in washing windows. The shame comes when some higher authority comes along and preaches these people into doing such jobs when they could have been computer programmers, doctors, engineers--or owners of their own businesses that actually create value. The shame comes when people want to attend college, but cannot because the religious leaders tell them not to.

• dontplaceliterature
    dontplaceliterature

@Blondie,

Haven't you learned by now that Farkel knows everything? I've only been on this board for a few days and I already picked that up. I'm suprised he's not on the GB....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit