Do You Folks Wanna Hear My Story?

by Farkel 86 Replies latest jw friends

• Juan Viejo2
    Juan Viejo2

I am from that same generation and time period, Farkel. I'd love to hear your stories and compare them with my own experiences.

What is interesting about that period of the 1950-60s is that there was such a disconnect between the actions of some JW families and others.

For example, Richard Kelly ("Growing Up in Mama's Club") was a good boyhood friend of mine. His parents were ham fisted in their approach to raising him and his siblings, refusing to let him participate in school sports, Little League, and other outside activities. My parents, on the other hand, were very liberal in that regard and encouraged us to play with neighborhood friends, get involved in team sports like Little League.

There were no hard and fast rules about outside activities in those days. It seemed to be determined by how strict the parents were and whether they chose to use the WT guidelines as an excuse for refusing to support their kids activities.

In the 1970s things really began to tighten up as far as school activities and educational opportunities. But most of the kids I went to Kingdom Hall with in the 50-60 time period were allowed to go to college if they wanted to and participate in sports. Just about everyone in my peer group went to junior college at some point.

I'd love to hear your experiences in that regard to compare to mine.

Go for it, Farkel!

JV

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

I'd like to read your stories.

• GrandmaJones
    GrandmaJones

Please write your story. I have read much of what you have written over the years in the "Best of" series, as well as clicking your name and reading more. I have done this with a number of people, and it is one of the things that make this board meaningful to me. Much of what you have written in the past has cause me to think more deeply about a subject that I hadn't previously seriously considered. I do love the way you write, and it has an impact on me whether I agree with everything or not. At least, it makes me think.

Reading each others stories are what makes this board feel real. You have a great deal yet to contribute. I would think it is meaningful for you to be here, helping us. Otherwise, after more than thirty years, why would you bother?

So, please, if you feel you want to, write...

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

The people have spoken, Farkel.

Please record your story now lest we re-construct it from bartender's tales and police reports.

• mochamint22
    mochamint22

I would like to read your stories. I would like to hear them because I am young and would like to compare your experiences with mine in the past decade or so. Please do tell Farkel

moe

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

Farkel,

You've been round for an awfully long time and I would like to read your full story.

Truthseeker

• LV101
    LV101

YES, DO TELL. YOU WERE MY FAVORITE POSTER ON H20 YRS. AGO when i had time to peek on there -- and i'd look so forward to reading what you'd say and your prognostications for the tower. your name became a household name because i was always relaying to my husband what you'd posted --- he thinks you are REALLY smart along w/many others on this site.

LOOK FORWARD TO READING.

LV101

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

JWD/JWN has Ruled..

"Farkel"..

"We want to hear your Story"..

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4010/4272817915_9b7bd27300.jpg

....................... ...OUTLAW

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

Count me in, Fark!