The Mother of All Watchtower Errors

by Perry 45 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Perry
    Perry

Yes ... I call it the Mother of them all, why? Because it is the central doctrinal error around which all other WT errors revolve. It involves slick deception with absolute ramifications. So, let’s unmask it shall we? Here it is:

and I make a covenant with you just as my Father has made a covenant with me, for a kingdom. - Luke 22: 28 according to the New World Translation

When a Jehovah’s Witness uses the term “New Covenant” (they generally refuse to use the term New Testament), in their mind they think they are talking about some sort of contractual agreement between Jesus and his disciples for rulership positions. When an informed Christian uses the term New Covenant he is merely talking about the contractual agreement contained throughout the whole of the New Testament for the forgiveness of sins. How could people use the same language and have totally different meanings attached to their words which are the same?

Well, this of course is very simple to achieve with humans. It was comically played out with the famous Abbott and Costello gig: “Who’s on First”. If people have in mind different definitions using the same words while conversing, then actual communication can be stopped, even while both sides may talk for hours.

First, readers need to know that the NT English biblical words "Testament" and "Covenant" mean the exact same thing – a contract.

Now, some brief background information about the Old Testament (Contract):

God’s response to the problem of evil is to leave
    Man’s ability to choose intact but at the same time
    punish wrong moral choices (Isaiah 26:21). God has
    done this by sometimes allowing the punishment of
    morally innocent (animals) in place of the guilty
    one, and at other times by punishing the sinner
    himself.

…without shedding of blood is no remission. -
    Hebrews 9: 22

Under the old Law Covenant mediated by Moses, a
    provision was made whereby a person's sins could
    be transferred onto a sinless animal
    , first by the
    priest and then by the sinner by laying their hands on
    its head:

And Aaron shall lay both his hands upon the head of
    the live goat, and confess over him all the iniquities
    of the children of Israel, and all their transgressions
    in all their sins, putting them upon the head of the
    goat,
    and shall send him away by the hand of a fit
    man into the wilderness: - Levet:16:21

And the Levites shall lay their hands upon the
    heads of the bullocks: and thou shalt offer the one
    for a sin offering, and the other for a burnt offering,
    unto the LORD, to make an atonement for the
    Levites. - Numbers 8:12

Then, the animal was slaughtered in place of the
    sinner.
    The sentence of death was still carried out
    according to the LAW. However, this process of
    animal substitution had to be repeated because the
    sinless animal, while suffering the death sentence for
    the guilty person, could not thereafter impart
    PERFECT LIFE to the sinner, making future sin
    inevitable.

So, now that we know what the Covenant regarding Animal Sacrifices was for in the Old Testament (and it wasn't just for a "sweet smelling odor"), it is easy to see what the New Testament or Covenant was for:

Matthew 26:28 For this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins.

Acts 10:43 To him give all the prophets witness, that through his name whosoever believeth in him shall receive remission of sins.

Romans 3:25 Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God;

Hebrews 9:22 And almost all things are by the law purged with blood; and without shedding of blood is no remission.

Matthew 26:28 For this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins.

Mark 14:24 And he said unto them, This is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many.

Luke 22:20 Likewise also the cup after supper, saying, This cup is the new testament in my blood, which is shed for you.

Hebrews 9:15 And for this cause he is the mediator of the new testament, that by means of death, for the redemption of the transgressions that were under the first testament, they which are called might receive the promise of eternal inheritance.

The bible goes on and on about this topic, but the above scriptures should suffice. The evidence that the New Covenant was for the forgiveness of sins is unassailable. Instead of an animal substitue for the offender, God himself in the personage of Jesus took the death sentence in our place.

Who being the .... the express image of his person ... had by himself purged our sins - Hebrews 1:3 KJV

Now, what believer in the God of the bible would want to turn down an invitation to get their sins forgiven? No one would if the choice is plainly pointed out to them like that.

So, the Watchtower changes the meaning of "covenant for remission of sins" to mean a “covenant for a kingdom”. Since, most people don’t really feel like a King fit for a high position, many just go with the Watchtower explanation that the New Covenant isn’t really meant for them since they don't really feel like kingly materia. So, most just go ahead and reject it; thereby forfeiting their opportunity to have their sins forgiven. It is very easy to manipulate people.

But what about that scripture from the New World Translation? Doesn’t the bible plainly say that Jesus was making a covenant with his disciples for a kingdom?

No. It does not. Here is what that scripture actually says before our redactors sliced and diced it:

Ye are they which have continued with me in my temptations. And I appoint unto you a kingdom, as my Father hath appointed unto me; - Luke 22: 28-29 - KJV

This is a far cry from the WT’s:

and I make a covenant with you just as my Father has made a covenant with me, for a kingdom. – NWT

There is simply no word for covenant there. Once disciples were in a covenant relationship with Jesus for the remission of sins, THEN they receive various appointments as members of God’s family.

When the Watchtower reaches its limit in how far they feel they can change the scriptures, they employ changing the definitions to acheive the same objective..... inducing members to disobey God, even while they try very hard to obey God in other less important matters:

After the same manner also he took the cup, when he had supped, saying, This cup is the new testament in my blood: this do ye - 1 Corinthians 11:25

The “great crowd” of Jehovah’s Witnesses disobey this command: "this do ye" to their own eternal demise.

Please tell every Jehovah’s Witness you meet about the wonderful contract for the “remission of sins" that Jesus offered and how the "Covenant for a Kingdom" WT doctrine is nothing but a lie from the pits of hell, and the mother of all Watchtower error.

Merry Christmas

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

An online Greek Interlinear Bible shows "covenant" in Luke 22:29. It's a non-JW version, too. So while your point is well taken, it isn't impeccably supported.

http://www.scripture4all.org/OnlineInterlinear/NTpdf/luk22.pdf

• designs
    designs

Perry-

You make a typical 'Protestant' mistake. Judaism had these moral/ethical issues answered for centuries prior to 'Jesus' showing up, who by the way omits and obscures what the Jewish Sages had been teaching for centuries. He's like the Johnny come lately kid trying to claim credit for something done by others, bad form, and the Jewish community caught on pretty quickly.

And still with the phobia of 'eternal demise', you poor Fundamentalists and your over the top God-Jesus who shows he is not worthy to be the Father of the human race. The Jewish God welcomes all of his children ( the entire human race) home to Gan Eden.

• Perry
    Perry

Well, yes it is impeccably supported:

http://bible.cc/luke/22-29.htm

Your example translates it as "appoint" in english. The distant possible secondary connotation of a compact is inappropriate here. But, even if it was strictly a contract, which it wasn't ... the point is that THE New Testament Covenant is about the forgiveness of sins, as shown by numerous references.

• designs
    designs

God already forgives.......... Everything was already taken care of for all of Adam's children and by a much nicer God.

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

This is ALL based on the dubious assumption that an all wise all loving quick to forgive slow to anger Deity wants to kill every last one of us.

Why?

Because (according to true believers) 6000 years ago a talking snake told a naked lady to eat some fruit, she gave it to her husband. God was so enraged he has had it in for the human race ever since.

Kill any child that raids the cookie jar I say. Follow the example of the all loving God.

Kill your child because another child took something to eat.

HB

• Perry
    Perry

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. - John 3: 16

That is very nice in my opinion.

Hampsterbait writes:

This is ALL based on the dubious assumption that an all wise all loving quick to forgive slow to anger Deity wants to kill every last one of us.

That is an illogical phobia right out of the pages of the Watchtower. The reality is that death is everywhere. You yourself are in a state of decay and dying right now.

It never ceases to amaze me how much the atheist worldview and the Watchtower are so much alike.

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

Perry,

Its God who decided everybody should perish in the first place. We are not talking some impersonal juggernaut thundering through creation wiping out everything in its path.

Doesnt God have choices too?

HB

• Perry
    Perry
    Its God who decided everybody should perish in the first place.

I thought Adam and Eve chose this. Of couse had they BELIEVED that God was serious, they might have chosen otherwise.

Does God have choices? Yes:

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. - John 3: 16

• cantleave
    cantleave

Would you Adam and Eve it? Someone still believes in the first human couple.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit