December AWAKE entitled: The Truth About Christmas

by AwSnap 60 Replies latest jw friends

• LUKEWARM
    LUKEWARM

-

Some good points highlighted in this thread regarding a response. Here a a few quotes that may be useful too:

Could a Christian celebrate 25 December as the conception of Jesus? Notice Russel's view on the matter:

"...we could not be certain that the exact day might not be in September about the 27th, but October 1st, B.C. is about correct. Nine months back of that date would bring us to about Christmas time, 3 B.C., as the date at which our Lord laid aside the glory which he had with the Father before the world was made and the taking of or changing to human nature began. It seems probable that this was the origin of the celebration of December 25th as Christmas Day. Some writers on Church history claim, even, that Christmas Day was originally celebrated as the date of the annunciation by Gabriel to the virgin Mary." (The Time is at Hand, Vol. 2 of The Studies in the Scriptures, p61)

Does it matter that December 25 is not the birth date of Jesus? Note the reasonableness that Russell displayed:

"Christmas Day, in celebration of our dear Redeemer's birth, has for centuries been celebrated on Dec. 25; and although it is now well known that this date is in error...nevertheless, since the Lord has given no instructions whatever upon this subject, and since it is proper to do good deeds and think good thoughts upon any day, it cannot be improper, ...for us to remember in a social way our dear Redeemer's birth at this time."(Zion's WT, Dec. 15, 1898-pg.370)

"..we may properly enough join with all whose hearts are in the attitude of love and appreciation toward God and toward the Saviour." (Zion's WT, Dec 15, 1903)"Even though Christmas is not the real anniversary of our Lord's birth, but more properly the annunciation day or the date of his human begetting (Luke 1:28), nevertheless, since the celebration of our Lord's birth is not a matter of divine appointment or injunction, but merely a tribute of respect to him, it is not necessary for us to quibble particularly about the date. We may as well join with the civilized world in celebrating the grand event on the day which the majority celebrate - "Christmas day."" Zion's Watch Tower 1904 December 1 p.364 "It matters not particularly that Dec. 25 is not the anniversary of our Lord's birth, according to the Scriptural account; that really He was born about September 25, nine months later. One day, as well as another, will serve us to commemorate our Savior's birth in the flesh, as a gift of God's love to a condemned and dying world."(Zion's WT, Dec. 15, 1908-pg.379).

So the point is not about "ancient pagan festivals", or that it was not the actual birth date of Jesus but when the Scriptures are silent on a matter, then it should be left up to an individual's conscience to decide - something the WTS denies its membership

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Return the rag along with a note that says that now you will double the decorations on the outside of your house in response to this rag. Then go online (or to a store that sells Christmas lights) and buy as many LED lights (exterior grade) as you can afford. Perhaps an additional 6' wreath on your house or 18' of evergreen garland around your front door will do, decorated to the hilt and lit with as many clear or colored wide-angle LED lights as you can afford. Candy canes along the walk, a Santa on the lawn, and some nice Christmas music playing will add to it.

Truth is, the Bible does not condemn Christmas. It does condemn those who judge others because they celebrate a holiday, and Jesus himself tells people not to judge others (they are Christians, if you are to believe what they claim). Mt 7 is where Jesus tells people to not judge others. The rag is blatantly judging others for observing the birth of Christ--even if Jesus was not born on December 25 (which I don't think he was), it is the day when most people pick to honor him.

• sacolton
  • Snoozy
    Snoozy

Aw snap, without reading past the first page..I liked your idea of what to say/send . The only thing I would omit is the part about "Trying to ruin someones happiness". I wouldn't let them know they have that power..

Snoozy

• sacolton
  • Heaven
    Heaven

Put the mag back in the envelope, in big bold letters write on the front of the envelope:

Colossians 2:16

then drop it off at their house.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Personalise this ... then print it and give it to him.

556 0 Nab?o?ni′dus
    555 1
    554 2
    553 3
    552 4
    551 5
    550 6
    549 7
    548 8
    547 9
    546 10
    545 11
    544 12
    543 13
    542 14
    541 15
    540 16
    539 17

Insight, Volume 2, page 480.
    (Neb?u?chad?nez′zar), Nebuchadrezzar (Neb?u?chad?rez′zar) [from Akkadian, meaning “O Nebo, Protect the Heir!”].

Second ruler of the Neo-Babylonian Empire; son of Nabopolassar and father of Awil-Marduk (Evil-merodach), who succeeded him to the throne. Nebuchadnezzar ruled as king for 43 years (624-582 B.C.E.), this period including the “seven times” during which he ate vegetation like a bull. (Da 4:31-33) To distinguish this monarch from the Babylonian ruler by the same name but of a much earlier period (the Isin dynasty), historians refer to him as Nebuchadnezzar II.

Insight, Volume 2, page 457
    (Nab?o?ni′dus) [from Babylonian meaning “Nebo [a Babylonian god] Is Exalted”].

Last supreme monarch of the Babylonian Empire; father of Belshazzar. On the basis of cuneiform texts he is believed to have ruled some 17 years (556-539 B.C.E.). He was given to literature, art, and religion.

Please fill in the years for each king, as I have for Nabonidus.

Quote your sources, as I have, so that they can be checked.

When you have finished, bring it around and we will discuss your list. After that, we will discuss Christmas.

• Berengaria
    Berengaria

I'm really late to this discussion, I only read page one. The first thing I would do is fact check the info in the Awake. Point out the fallacies, and then say mind your own business.

• AwSnap
    AwSnap

Ive decided that, once a month, I am going to send him a printout discussing a flaw with the jw's. Just one per month. I think I'll start with the flip flopped doctrine of receiving organ transplants. Or maybe whether people from Sodom & Gomorrah will be resurrected.

As you can see, I'm still a little agitated about this. I was surrounded with love and happiness. My Xmas tree is beautiful. I wasnt shoving it in anybody's face. HE came into MY life and then proceeded to tell me how I'm living wrong.

• Think About It
    Think About It

Shawn.......that picture is priceless! Every JW should see it.

Think About It

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit