If God truly loved humans...why not reveal himself ? So that they could make an informed decision ?

by smiddy 117 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

You know Gladiator, if more people felt that way about God I would think that things would be, well...better.

I know that there was a time in my life that I had tremendous anger towards God and the thought of "chatting with him and giving him a hug" would have blown my mind !
    I would wave my accusatory finger at him and yell at him "How dare you !!!"

Anger against God for what we do and what we don't do, just leads us to anger and hate and spite.

Maybe we could try to see things from his POV and how much he has suffered seeing his children destroy themselves and their home...

May I ask you something a tad personal?

Do you have kids?

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

PSacramento

Anger seldom helps any situation and causes more problems than it solves.

As for kids, my wife was never keen and I was indifferent so - no kids. She is not the mother hen type really. It probably has a lot to do with the less that ideal parents we each had. We have a good life and enjoy a certain freedom. I guess that what you've never had you never miss.

• Joey Jo-Jo
    Joey Jo-Jo

PS: Deny God? Mmm I guess, im trying to find GOD but I dont want to use blind faith, at this stage I can not shun or Deny God because I don't know if he exists. I can deny and shun jw teachings because I'm aware and don't agree with their teachings.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    Anger seldom helps any situation and causes more problems than it solves.

So true.

As for kids, my wife was never keen and I was indifferent so - no kids. She is not the mother hen type really. It probably has a lot to do with the less that ideal parents we each had. We have a good life and enjoy a certain freedom. I guess that what you've never had you never miss.

I can respect that :)

PS: Deny God? Mmm I guess, im trying to find GOD but I dont want to use blind faith, at this stage I can not shun or Deny God because I don't know if he exists. I can deny and shun jw teachings because I'm aware and don't agree with their teachings.

I didn't mean that those that have not found or are trying to find God have/are denying God, sorry if I gave that impression.

To deny God is not just to deny the existence of God, but to deny the teachings of God to put oneself above God to say, "I don't need God for anything", to say "there is no God", that is denying God.

To say, I don't know is just that, saying you don't know.

In my orginal post I said that God doesn't shun Us, we Shun God and what I meant is that God is there for is, always, through his love, his teachings through each other.

We on the other hand, when we "rebel" against that love against those teachings and against each other, when we say "there is no God" not because we don't have enough evidence but because we don't WANT their to be a God, we are "shunning" God.

Of course this is just my way of wording it and just my view, take it only for what it is.

• superpunk
  • The_Present_Truth
    The_Present_Truth

Heaven .....

Re:

the total number of "above water" acreage on the face of the Earth.

Did his numbers take into account all the acreages that are uninhabitable, both from man-made pollution as well as naturally occurring toxic areas? How about areas where most of us wouldn't want to live anyways... like Endicott NY for example? How many of us actually want to live in the Arctic or Antarctic, Greenland or Iceland?

Do a calculation on all of THESE areas, subtract it from his total acreage number, and get back to me on the new numbers.

Also, just stick with what we know. The Earth is a constant size and God isn't going to be expanding it any time soon.

Actually, keeping some continuity in our discussion, the premise was that if God had fixed the initial problem of sin back in Eden and restored mankind to perfection you said:

... then we wouldn't be here. The Earth would have filled up long, long ago and God would have had to stop procreation of humans.

Keep in mind, if God had restored mankind to perfection right then, the water canopy would likely still be in place and the earth would be a paradise with perfect living conditions regardless of where you were. So no need to rule out any acreage. It would all be perfect - (paradise remember?).

And for kicks, just what do you think God had planned for mankind in the way of procreation and expanding populations. I wonder what the population situation would be like if no one in history committed fornication and there were no pregnancies out of wedlock? What would the population loss be from those babies not conceived and the resulting generations that those children ended up producing?

Of course we'd need to add back in all the people that were ever killed due to religious wars and squabbles.

• The_Present_Truth
    The_Present_Truth

PSacramento,

You asked:

Atheists simply aren't "believers". They're "thinkers".

As opposed to believers that are NOT thinkers?

That is correct. To "think" is to question and reason. Consider how many "believers" there are in the world who "believe" simply out of obedience and have never once stopped to "think or question" those beliefs. Go to YouTube, type in the Search box "Atheist Experience" and when all their videos come up, pull up the one that addresses the question, "Would you kill your child if God told you to?"

On that note PS, would you kill your child if God told you to? Do you consider yourself a "Believer"?

• The_Present_Truth
    The_Present_Truth

This is a glimpse at the "Believer" mindset. You can pick any video from their series and listen to all the random "Believer" callers and 99.9% of them sound alike.

http://www.youtube.com/user/AtheistExperience#p/a/u/0/5auJ3Dg-zNs

• tec
    tec
    That is correct. To "think" is to question and reason. Consider how many "believers" there are in the world who "believe" simply out of obedience and have never once stopped to "think or question" those beliefs.

I could be wrong, but I think PSac was asking you if you thought believers (as a whole/a blanket statement) were not thinkers. If he did not mean to ask that, then I am asking that now.

Many believers do question and reason, and still come to their faith. And yes, some also believe blindly, in obedience to what others have told them.

Just curious.

Tammy

• The_Present_Truth
    The_Present_Truth

Tammy,

I don't mean to imply that 100% of "Believers" don't / can't think or reason. If that were the case I'd likely be lumped in with them. I'd classify myself as an Agnostic Theist Creationist at this point in time. (I believe in God & Creation - not necessarily the way the Bible outlines things-but can't prove either one happened or exists. Don't believe in religion.) Still there is a shred of "belief" left in me.

The problem that some believers have is that they question and reason using a template that doesn't allow them any new information from outside resources. It's like us claiming that we "studied" religions of the world simply because the "Mankind's Search For God" book from the WTBTS was the subject for the Book Study one night a week. Pre-formatted questions from a source that is clearly biased as we know now, and has their own agenda. I questioned and questioned my beliefs as a JW for years. The reason I still "came back to my faith" is because I was going in a cricle using the same material to study from. I know almost everyone who's here today can relate in some degree to that.

What I see from so many with the "Believer" mentality is that they are just repeators parroting what they've memorized or been taught. When you engage them, they become very uncomfortable, indignant, and usually flee. As I said, listen to any of the videos on that channel on the link I posted above. Listen to the broad segment of Christian callers calling in, how they conduct their conversations, reasoning, etc, and then blow up when the host reasons with them in a very civil but direct manner (most of the time). It's an eye opener to what's going on out there in the minds of "believers".

So no, not a blanket statement. I don't have editing ability yet (not sure if that comes after a certain number of posts) so I couldn't re-state that after it was posted.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit