If God truly loved humans...why not reveal himself ? So that they could make an informed decision ?

by smiddy 117 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• smiddy
    smiddy

We learn from the bible that God spoke to Adam ,then certain faithful ones,then after Moses only the preisthood that was established,and individuals, raised as prophets,and this by the way is only a a small select group on the planet.Never mind about other groups of humans. Fastforward to the era of Christ ,again, God is only dealing with a small select group to advise and admonish.During the time from Moses to Christ he was only dealing with what became one small nation.The rest of humankind were left to their own devices.Fastforward down to this 21st century we have no guidance/instruction/prophets to instruct or guide us.( I know this is where JW`s would say but we have been preaching & teaching you God`s truths since 1879 ) All I can say their, is take your head out of the sand and look at all the changes ,corrections adjustments,re-adjustments,reversals,and failed expectations of prophecy you have published over this last century )So as to my question why hasn`t the God of the universe revealed himself to all humans of every race on all continents instead of just a small select group, if he truly was interested in the human race. Remember the world of mankind is made up of billions of people outside of christendom,who have no idea of the biblical veiw of salvation.

smiddy

• tec
    tec

Seems to me that if we all started out in the same place (adam), then He did reveal Himself... but it was people who turned away from God. Is He to blame for us not listening, or for keeping our children and therefore, our descendants, from listening? Who says He never tried? Seems to me also that He has always revealed himself to those who have and exercise faith in Him. Now, through Christ.

(I am not speaking about being saved or not, mind you... You asked about revelation)

Tammy

• oldlightnewshite
    oldlightnewshite

It would be infinitely easy for 'god' to have an intimate relationship with each one of us, and talk to us directly every day, as he did with Adam. What makes us any different? Are we any less important? Does he love us any less?

In my opinion the issue of faith is total BS. If god existed, he'd certainly want to talk to us, the same way a parent is concerned about their own children and talks/nags to them.

But apparently god has other things to do with his time, some of the new X-box games are too kick-ass, apparently.

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident

Is He to blame for us not listening, or for keeping our children and therefore, our descendants, from listening?

Yes, he is, because as the supposed creator of mathematics he would have infinite knowledge of the power of exponentials. He would easily have forseen that his method of revealing himself would literally leave billions of people on the planet who have never heard of him or been taught about him by their ancestors, just as they were never taught by their ancestors.

Knowing that this could be the only possible outcome of only a few of his children back in Adam's day or in Jesus' day being entrusted with spreading his message, it is perfectly fair and logical to say that God does not care about the human race. At best, you could say he only cares about the very few with whom he bothered to entrust his message. The rest of the human race he left to a small chance they would hear the message in what can only be described as a salvation "crap shoot".

Who says He never tried? Seems to me also that He has always revealed himself to those who have and exercise faith in Him. Now, through Christ.

He did try, with a few people. As for the rest, no he didn't try, because billions haven't heard of him or even had the opportunity. So, to paraphrase a scripture, "How can they put faith in one whom they do not know? And how can they know without someone to teach?" The answer is, they can't, as the scriptures themselves say. Where the scriptures are obviously incorrect is when they claim the good news of the kingdom will be preached in all the inhabited earth for a witness to all. This is not even close to happening and due to the aforementioned mathematical law of exponents, the chances of it happening grow less and less every year as the non-Christian population in the world outnumbers the Christian to a greater degree each year.

So, to sum up, God's method of revealing himself sucks (impossible since he is omnipotent), or he doesn't care about the human race (impossible since he IS love) or he doesn't exist and is just a creation of some long ago minds who didn't think their doctrines through to their logical conclusions.

• cheerios
    cheerios

i often asked this very question, even when still a dub. the answer that they give is so very unsatisfying, especially if you use your brain. personally, i do not see what is wrong with god revealing himself in such a way that leaves zero doubt as to who he is. since we have free will, it would still be our choice to follow him (if that is truly an option). all this 'proof negates faith' argument is weak imo. especially since so many man-made organizations have impersonated god and done evil, twisted things ..

that's just my opinion though.

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

LIFE has revealed itself on this planet and likely on others. The nature of reality is that it is always real.

The concept of a male god being responsible for life and what we subjectively label good and bad, will remain a concept until all doubt has been removed.

To those who claim they know he exists because he talks to them, I can only marvel. I couldn't even get my JW father to talk to me.

• DagothUr
    DagothUr

Wake up, people. There is no god.

• designs
    designs

'What if God was one of us'.............. sung by Joan Osborne, written by Eric Bazillian

• cofty
    cofty

The "hiddeness" of god is a strong argument against his existence.

If god does exist then that's all he does.

• MarcusScriptus
    MarcusScriptus

Very points from both sides.

I think however that when dealing with ex-JWs, one needs to consider the possibility that even when some of us choose a different belief or philosophy, the way we chose it might itself need some revision. Did we follow Watchtower ways to reach our new conclusions? I know that for the first decade after leaving the Witnesses that I was constantly doing that.

I am a supporter of all free uses of one's consicence. Though I am a theist, I have strong ties and great love for friends and family who are atheist. I hate how they are constantly demonized and reduced to cookie-stamp charicatures and marginalized. But I do notice a striking difference between them and many ex-JWs who become atheists.

Regardless of where we land after we leave the Watchtower, make sure we land using our feet and no other support we were taught to use while in the grips of the Governing Body thought machine.

Questions to consider along this line:

1. Many claim there is no “God” in the Judeo/Christian sense. Does this mean that no other type of deity can, has, or will ever exist? What does science officially have to say on the matter?

2. Have we ever been chased down by someone we did not know but had been trying to get our attention for some time? Does the fact we did not know about this person or what they were doing prove their non-existence or did it just prove we didn’t know the person existed?

3. Name that which does not exist that humans debate about and take as seriously as the “God-issue.” How many of these things exist? How many of them have changed history? Is this unique or just one other superstition among many?

4. Do we have emotion invested in our non-belief about God? How much emotion do we have invested in other things that don’t exist? List them.

5. Is the scientific method intended to be a means to answer all questions? Offer your hypothesis, and then use it to prove to a loved one who questions your fidelity and love and see how far you get. Explain in detail what occurred when you did this, and then allow your results to be tested by others willing to try the same during their own lovers' spat. Sit back and see what happens.

6. Is our rejection of God based on what the Watchtower taught us was God or is it based on a complete relearning of the great religions? If it based on this relearning process, could our knowledge be sufficient to allow us to pass an exam on religion and philosophy offered on the college level? Did we apply methods we learned from the Watchtower to do our studying or did we first retrain ourselves to study and learn with time-proven academically sound ways? Did our conclusion leave us with a similar “dislike-all-who-don’t-agree-with-my-convictions” attitude that the Watchtower have or did it humble us and change our attitude for the way we view others who apply their conscience in other ways than we do?

Just food for thought.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit