I love Christmas!

by Newborn 125 Replies latest jw friends

• TheSilence
    TheSilence

The time I spend with my family is not stupid. And don't get me wrong, I already see them regularly. But it is a time to be together, to have fun with the kids, to celebrate our year together. It's fun watching the kids get excited about Santa. It's fun buying someone that perfect gift. It's a happy day. ;)
    Ohhh...no......must fight the JW in me....must fight it....losing power...........
    You serious? You can do that all year. You can buy someone a gift whenever you please. You can have fun watching the kids get excited when they're trying to find the toy in a cereal box. You can enjoy family when the weather is warmer. If you see them regularly, why do you need a special day to celebrate the year with them? Don't mind me, I'm just a cranky person in general, so if you enjoy this Christmas thing, good for you. But it just seems like the stupidest time of year to me. The only good thing about it to me, is the day off work.

I do enjoy family all year, dear. I have dinner at my mom's with my brother, sister in law, and nephew every week. Every week I also run errands with my grandparents since they can't drive any longer. Also, every week this summer I picked up all my nieces and nephews and took them to six flags. And I enjoy and treasure every one of those activities. The difference with Christmas is it's a day where the whole family can get together. None of the kids have extra curricular activities, none of their parents have to work. When I see the family throughout the year, while I do see every one of them regularly, it's seldom that we can get *everyone* together all at once for a good portion of the day and really enjoy each other.

I'm not trying to change anyone's mind, I really was just curious why there was a need to bash others for enjoying things. If it doesn't work for you or anyone else that's perfectly fine with me. But that doesn't mean we have to call other people lame and put them down for finding joy where we don't. It would be okay to just pass the thread by without telling other people how stupid what they find joy in is. *shrug* Doesn't really matter to me, it was just curiosity that got the better of me so I thought I would ask.

• tec
    tec

TheSilence -

But I think Misery is enjoying his grinchiness ;)

Tammy

• TheSilence
    TheSilence

It would be rather sad if what was enjoyed was stepping on the joy of others, I think.

Jackie

• miseryloveselders
    miseryloveselders

TheSilence -

But I think Misery is enjoying his grinchiness ;)

Tammy

This is true to some degree. A friend told me that if he ever saw me smiling too much, he knew I was sinning. Just my nature to grumpy. Its in my blood.

It would be rather sad if what was enjoyed was stepping on the joy of others, I think.

Jackie

I don't get enjoyment out of bashing your good times......well maybe a little. I don't think you or anybody else is lame for celebrating it. If it makes you happy, then I'm happy for you. It still doesn't change my thoughts that its a stupid phony commercialized holiday with a history purposely forgotten so people can celebrate it without feeling hypocritical. That might be the JW side of me rearing its ugly head, but I stand by that. I don't know, I just really hate Christmas, and holidays in general. Holidays are a lame excuse for people to tune out reality.

• TheSilence
    TheSilence

And that's fine... but when people are expressing joy why is there a need to pop in and express these words: commercialized, hypocritical, lame excuse? I am not a particular fan of, oh, say NASCAR. So, if there is a thread on NASCAR I don't open it. I don't feel a need to pop in and start criticizing it and stating why I think it is not a great form of entertainment. I'm happy for other people that they enjoy it and there's no need for me to step on that for them.

Jackie

• miseryloveselders
    miseryloveselders

And that's fine... but when people are expressing joy why is there a need to pop in and express these words: commercialized, hypocritical, lame excuse? I am not a particular fan of, oh, say NASCAR. So, if there is a thread on NASCAR I don't open it. I don't feel a need to pop in and start criticizing it and stating why I think it is not a great form of entertainment. I'm happy for other people that they enjoy it and there's no need for me to step on that for them.

Jackie

Well.....I guess popping in and criticizing it is the part I enjoy.

I'll stop now, its off my chest, and I feel better.

• TheSilence
    TheSilence
    Well.....I guess popping in and criticizing it is the part I enjoy.

Which I don't understand, which is why I asked. Again, not bashing, just asking out of curiosity... are you happy being that way?

Jackie

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

and I feel better.

I think you just think you feel better. Being negative about something and trying to make others feel bad about the thing you're negative about isn't a win-win.

• tec
    tec
    I think you just think you feel better. Being negative about something and trying to make others feel bad about the thing you're negative about isn't a win-win.

Unfortunately, this is true often enough. If a person is angry, then it might make them feel temporarily better to rain on someone else's parade... because it gives them something else to focus on. Or it gives a 'at least I'm not doing something as lame as THAT'. Definitely some JW attitude lingering in that judgmental kind of thinking.

Anyway, I love Misery despite the grinchiness... so I'll just hug him cuz he needs it.

(((((Misery))))))

Tammy

• VampireDCLXV
    VampireDCLXV

Seems to me that the lot of you want me burned at the stake again...

Me:

You've gotten on my bad side once already. Think about it before you do it again...

And all your lovely responses...

Is this fo real?
    ... rather insulting and unless you've been granted mod privileges, I'm not sure why Berengaria should give a damn about being on 'your bad side', especially since your comments were totally grinchy.
    Bad form, Vamp. Bad form.

Yeah, I'm for real. This Berengaria person had better care if he/she/it gets on my bad side. I have a loooooonnnggg memory. Bad form? This Berengaria person stuck its nose into a previous confrontation between myself and another poster here when he/she/it didn't know me or the other players. He/she/it took sides against me and continues to keep themself deliberately ignorant uninformed about who I am and what I am about. How's that for poor form? I'd suggest that this creature stay out of my way and I'll do the same for it...

As for the rest of you...

@Broken Promises,

I doubt that very many Aussies look that good. Since Australia is a western land, I don't think that Aussies in general are any less porcine than their peers in other countries. I'll pass on spending time at an Aussie beach looking at fat white folks wearing stupid hats. I'll leave the hanging at a beach for after the holidays...

@The Silence,

You say that you're simply curious as to my motivations BUT reading between the lines, I believe that you think that Misery and I OWE you an explanation. I don't think we owe you a damn thing. Isn't our having grown up in the JW religion explanation enough?

@poopsiecakes,

You expected better of me? Maybe you expect too much...? *I* only expect ppl to be their authentic selves. When I know who a person truly is, I can decide for myself whether their company makes my life better or worse. I'm sorry that you're offended at my failure to see the humour in yours and B's attempts at poetry. I was defending a friend. Capice?

@palmtree67,

I've spent a lot of time around some poor souls as of late who's families are toxic for them to be around. I fail to see the benefits of them spending the holidays in such a bad situation. Some ppl shouldn't be around their toxic families at any of the time of year. Being around friends can't quite fill that gaping hole where family is supposed to be. The holidays are not always what they're cracked up to be....

@ziddina,

The joke about 665 being one penny short of 666 is getting old and so are you. The point is that I'm NOT completly evil even though people often choose to see me as such.

Maybe I've fed too much on Misery's negativity but I see where his pain is coming from. I don't think that I'll ever be completely free of the BOrg as long as I have family that are still in and I can't see them ever leaving. It's my cross to bear and my scar to wear. As much as I enjoy all your self righteous indignation at being trolled here, my thread about NOT celebrating has been trolled by your kind as well. I hope y'all can see the irony in that...

I hope y'all will forgive my cold virus induced grumpiness someday. Over and out...

V665

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit