As a JW, what did you do on Christmas Day?

by Magwitch 65 Replies latest jw friends

• Magwitch
    Magwitch

Growing up a JW, we always had family from out of town visit or we would go visit family. It was fun to get together with my other JW cousins over Christmas. (However, it was hell going back to school in January as the only girl without a new sweater).

As a married JW though it was a different story. My husband did not let me visit my JW parents or other JW relatives over Christmas because he felt that was all part of celebrating the holidays (being with family). I usually spent Christmas on the sofa crying.

How about you? What joyful experiences did you have on Christmas Day?

• nugget
    nugget

Slept in, went for a walk occasionally, slobbed about, watched TV trying to avoid Santa and overtly xmas programming.

It was a real downer if it was also a meeting night as we had to appear pleased about going to the hall when we would rather have been at home.

Will be sooo different this year..

• cantleave
    cantleave

Watched nugget doing all the above

• Heaven
    Heaven

We had "Merry Gift Exchange Day!"

• Magwitch
    Magwitch

appear pleased about going to the hall

I forgot about that miserable part of the day - As if the day could not get any worse!

• Magwitch
    Magwitch

Merry Gift Exchange Day??????????????????????

• will_the_apostate
    will_the_apostate

When I was a Dub I would go snowboarding, and eat chinese food. Now all I do is open presents with my kids then eat a HUGE breakfast, followed by hanging out with nonDub relatives, and then we eat a gigantic dinner and spend the rest of the night watching movies in our living room drinking eggnogg.

• Darth plaugeis
    Darth plaugeis

Heaven you had that also??

We called it something else.... and waited until February.

then Jan. Then the week after Xmas... and then Darth felt guilty and stopped and was in big trouble with the side of the Family that celebrated this Unofficial Holiday.

That side of the family fell away before Darth.....

How many others Celebrated these Just For Fun Day?

• blondie
    blondie

As an elder's wife I was invited to the meal for the elders, their families and the pioneers. The elders would have their little meeting with the pioneers and always scheuled it on Xmas. I hated it.

Growing up we always had a turkey dinner with jw and non-jw family, watch sports. I liked watching a Christmas Carol or that Jimmy Stewart movie.

• Magwitch
    Magwitch

Christmas Carol or that Jimmy Stewart movie... What a pagan you were Blondie!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit