As a JW, what did you do on Christmas Day?

by Magwitch 65 Replies latest jw friends

• warmasasunned
    warmasasunned

i did the field service every year i was in the dreaded witness, hated it, i thought it was wrong as did many others at the time. i remember some years after i'd left, i was happily celebrating christmas with the little woman and the kids, when the js knocked. i encouraged the wife to answer the door. she said "no thank you i'm a bit busy right now" then popped her head back out and said "merry christmas".

i said "why did you wish them a merry christmas, they dont celebrate it"

"oh! i forgot"

it made me smile how uncomfortable she must have made the jw feel, but hey only the js would come round and not expect people to wish them a merry christmas on christmas day.

• warmasasunned
    warmasasunned

i did the field service every year i was in the dreaded witness, hated it, i thought it was wrong as did many others at the time. i remember some years after i'd left, i was happily celebrating christmas with the little woman and the kids, when the js knocked. i encouraged the wife to answer the door. she said "no thank you i'm a bit busy right now" then popped her head back out and said "merry christmas".

i said "why did you wish them a merry christmas, they dont celebrate it"

"oh! i forgot"

it made me smile how uncomfortable she must have made the jw feel, but hey only the js would come round and not expect people to wish them a merry christmas on christmas day.

• tec
    tec

JW's do field service on Christmas day?

• Mandette
    Mandette

I remember being about 5 yrs old. On Christmas Eve I looked up at the sky and wondered how Santa knew NOT to come to our house because we're JW's.

As a kid, it sucked. Meetings, lonliness, etc. The first day back after Christmas break was horrid. I got to listen to everyone talk about what they'd gotten all the while HOPING that no one would ask me about my "holiday".

As a young adult, I'd work, sometimes 24-48 hours straight so others could be home celebrating with their families.

Now I still have to work, but I have dear friends who are like family to celebrate with after work. AND a wonderful boyfriend to slather all the holiday attention on that I never got to do with family.

M

• St George of England
    St George of England

As a kid, field service. Hated it.

Yet more proof that JW's are the happiest people in the world!

George

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Listen to my mom tell us how..

Poor Worldly Children can only get presents on special occasions..

And..

Jehovah`s Witness`s can give presents all year round....

Mom was Nuts..

...................... ...OUTLAW

• mentallyfree31
    mentallyfree31

I remember as a zealous pioneer, I used to go out in service on Christmas day. (17 years old to 20 years old) Then that became dreadful. I then became embarrassed to knock on somebody's door on any holiday, as I felt the holiday was one of the few days people can be with their families and not be disturbed. So I quit going out on holidays altogether for the next decade or so.

Then I finally admitted that I hated knocking on anybody's door.

Then I learned the truth about "da troof".

:-)

-MF31-

• LucyA
    LucyA

OUTLAW I used too get that speach too (pity it's not true). Chistmas was a little complicated for me mothers JW dads not so we had to act all holy like we didnt care but did "Family day" in October (still no presents though. Mother felt it would make us worldly and money hungry). Mostly we would just watch tv and go swimming.

• letsslatejws
    letsslatejws

We did nothing special. Sat there bored senseless and would eat burgers & chips... Hated the fact that the shops were shut and that other Jo Ho families would have arranged to go to each others home to have a get together. Of course we were never invited as we had so many kids !!!!

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

I went out in field service on Christmas Day in 1973, when we were distributing the Kingdom News tract, "Has Religion Betrayed God and Man?" That was in the days when the KN tracts would be distributed for ten days only, so the Society had to have timed it deliberately to fall at Christmas. Most people were oblivious and just wanted to get back to their families, so they took the tract, which was all we were trying to get them to do. There was no suggestion of turning the visit into a discussion during tract distribution then; it was just get the tract into their hands and leave. There is only one person I specifically remember leaving the tract with that day. It was a man who came out and stood on his porch, took the tract, looked at the title, and then looked at me and said, "You know, you people have a lot of stones." I think that was the last year I ever went out in service on Christmas, even though I was in the organization for over 25 years after that.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit