As a JW, what did you do on Christmas Day?

by Magwitch 65 Replies latest jw friends

• hopeful4eva
    hopeful4eva

Christmas Eve I would go see my father (he wasn't JW), so would get all my presents from him and my step mom. Christmas day was a lazy day (got to play with my new presents) but had to look like I was upset I had recieved them , and Boxing day....well that was the day all the women /girls from local congration would get together and hit the mall....nothing like boxing day sales lol!! What a joke lol!!!

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

Wow. You think all of this is behind you and you have grown past all of it... and then a question and a memory brings it all rushing back! (Thanks a lot, Magwich! )

We always vacationed at my Grandmother's house, where my Aunt and cousins lived. They all celebrated Christmas with great abandon and joy!

What did I do on Christmas morning? I had to stay in the bedroom... while I heard all of the laughter and new toys on the other side of the door.

But as a child I would say it didn't bother me at all... because I was taught to be disconnected and self-righteous about it. I was right and in favor, they were wrong and detestable. Yeah... a JW childhood is pretty surreal.

• Heaven
    Heaven

Merry Gift Exchange Day??????????????????????

Yep. Growing up we were just 'studying' and my Dad wasn't into it. Only after we had grown up and moved out did my parents dedicate themselves. Once that happened Christmas became Gift Exchange Day. We still had the family get together, gift exchange, and massive turkey dinner consumption culminating in my brothers and hubby at the time doing Blue Angels in the living room (now THAT is disgusting! ).

Slowly my parents withdrew from the family festivities though as their consciences (aka the Borg hounding/indoctrination) got to them, so my bro and I continued on with it. We still get together today.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Am I the only one that used to always go out in the Ministry on Christmas Day Morning ? The householders were surprisingly pleasant....

Years ago there used to be a big turnout from the congo...As years went on, the numbers turning up reduced..

• kitten whiskers
    kitten whiskers

Envied my dad going off to my grandparent's to celebrate while I had to stay home with my mom and sibling.

• Joshinaz
    Joshinaz

As a JW I remember going out in service as a child on Christmas Day. I watched in awe as the children behind the doors opened there presents and I stood out in the cold holding my bookbag. ugh!

• Scarred for life
    Scarred for life

I do remember when I was very young a few times that we went to meetings on Christmas Day. I felt like such a freak even as a small child. But most of the time we went to my non-JW grandparents house. It was about the only time I saw my aunts and uncles and cousins on that side of the family as they all lived away. I guess we were pagans too. LOL! We never got anybody presents but my sister and I would get one gift from my grandparents. Thank God for them.

• Magwitch
    Magwitch

BluesBrother and Joshinaz...Service? How sad can it get?

Baby Yoga...I had to stay in the bedroom... while I heard all of the laughter and new toys on the other side of the door.

That is absolutely heartbreaking!

• The Finger
    The Finger

We went out in the field service as kids and treated it as a normal day. When I got married I often spent the day working in the garden or on the house. Usually went to the hall if it was a meeting day not always. I kind of loathe the holiday period now.

• Coffee House Girl
    Coffee House Girl

I usually went to the movies on x-mas day, I do remember a few times going out in service- but I whinned big time and my mom relented thankfully (I think she hated it as much as me). I feel for those who did go out on holiday mornings- I never got a good response, usually the "how dare you" stare, the householders I am sure wanted to say "get the f*** off my porch"- but being christmas and all...

CHG

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit