Did Jesus resurrect Himself?

by brotherdan 143 Replies latest watchtower bible

• brotherdan
    brotherdan
    If you were to receive a Personal Revelation, how would this affect your current view of Sola Scriptura?

I believe personal revelations stopped occuring with the death of the Apostles. The Bible has all relevant revelations that we need to this day.

• sabastious
    sabastious
    Actually, I've found it much easier to throw the whole damn book away...

I don't deem this a wise course of action. The Bible is a serious wealth of insight and raw moral philosophy. I think the Bible becomes illuminated once you toss the "Word of God" out the door.

Now on topic.

I just recently found out that the Witnesses even believed that Jesus was never resurrected in body.

My first thought is he definitely wasn't the same person (since the account says he looked differently to different people).

-Sab

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    I believe personal revelations stopped occuring with the death of the Apostles.

I can only assume that the Scriptures support this idea, since you're a Sola Scriptura type of guy. Which ones did you have in mind?

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

The Bible did not say this. In fact it says that after he was resurrected the apostles realized that this had been fulfilled in Jesus.

I know that. I was just telling you what the WTS has said. They don't even claim that the text refers to Jesus' resurrection, but to his raising up the "spiritual temple" after his resurrection. It's a major case of rationalizing the clear words of the text.

• brotherdan
    brotherdan
    My first thought is he definitely wasn't the same person (since the account says he looked differently to different people)

Actually, Sab, that is what most JWs will say. However, the scriptures actually say that the disciples eyes were kept from recognizing him. It does not say that he looked different. Once he allowed them to recognize him, they did. But his appearance was not different.

Tt is incorrect to assert that “nobody recognized Him,” because Matthew 28:9,17 clearly implies that at least some of Jesus’ disciples knew Who He was and worshipped Him.

In Luke 24:39 Jesus stated: “Behold My hands and My feet, that it is I Myself. Handle Me and see, for a spirit does not have flesh and bones as you see I have.” Jesus expected His disciples to observe Hisphysical body. Later in the same chapter, we read that Jesus ate a meal with His disciples (24:42-43)

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

I wasn't arguing with YOU, neonmadman. I was just responding to what the WT wrote on this. They twisted the text to try and make it fit in with their theology.

• wannabefree
  • sabastious
    sabastious
    Actually, Sab, that is what most JWs will say. However, the scriptures actually say that the disciples eyes were kept from recognizing him. It does not say that he looked different. Once he allowed them to recognize him, they did. But his appearance was not different.

That's a weird concept. Why the secrecy?

-Sab

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

The Bible doesn't say why the were kept from recognizing him, so I don't really have any biblical answers. But there are some speculations.

First, even though Jesus had predicted that He would rise again on the third day, the disciples did not fully understand ( Mark 9:32 ), because clearly they were not looking for Him to be resurrected. This can account for some of their surprise and shock at seeing Him.

We also don't know the distance the disciples were in relation to Jesus or the lighting. There are many theories, but again, the Bible doesn't specify.

• sabastious
    sabastious
    The Bible doesn't say why the were kept from recognizing him, so I don't really have any biblical answers.

Before speculating I would ask why doesn't the Bible describe why these mystical happenings occured?

-Sab

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit