Did Jesus resurrect Himself?

by brotherdan 143 Replies latest watchtower bible

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

This is a common scripture, but I find it interesting that it is in direct conflict to JW belief. John 2:19 says, "Jesus answered them, "Destroy this temple, and I will raise it again in three days." The Jews replied, "It has taken forty-six years to build this temple, and you are going to raise it in three days?" But the temple he had spoken of was his body."

So how can JWs say that Jesus body was not resurrected? And also, did you see WHO would resurrect Jesus body? JESUS!

• undercover
    undercover
    Did Jesus resurrect Himself?

No

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

Then how did Jesus raise up his own body after 3 days?

• undercover
    undercover

It's a legend... a myth...a fairy tale.

Nobody resurrected nobody...

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

Well that's not the answer I was looking for Undercover. I was looking for an answer as to why JWs deny that Jesus body was resurrected and that he was "recreated" as a spiritual being. I know that you think it's all myths and fairy tales.

• wannabefree
    wannabefree

No. The Word did it, he is the Father's master worker.

Jesus the man died, he went back to being the Word, resurrected Jesus the man and jumped back in, eventually he was caught up in the clouds, flesh and blood can not exist in heaven, the sacrificed body was disposed of.

• rmnnoute
    rmnnoute

One verse cannot stand against all the many other verses that say clearly that it was God (the Father) who resurrected Jesus.

At best, it means that Jesus willingly and gladly did his Father's will and this put him in line to be resurrected by God.

As to whether he meant his physical body or his spiritual "body" is a matter of interpretation.

But if Jesus took back his physical body, which was a sacrifice for our sins, we have no deliverance.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

[LWT starts searching for popcorn. . .]

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

It's easy to just throw away a scripture when it doesn't fit, right?

Actually there is MUCH proof that the physical body is resurrected, and that includes Jesus physical body. Jesus physical body, when viewed by the apostles still had the marks of the nails in his hands. John 20:25-27 shows this.

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

Well, if you want the JW answer, according to the 1952 Watchtower:

*** w52 10/1 p. 606 Questions From Readers ***
    This setting shows that Jesus was not talking about his physical body, but “he was talking about the temple of his body”. The temple in Jerusalem that Jesus cleansed represented not Jesus alone but also the body-members over which he is head. Just as the literal temple was not made up of one stone but many, so “the temple of his body” consists of many living stones, with Jesus as the foundation cornerstone: “You yourselves also as living stones are being built up a spiritual house for the purpose of a holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ.” (1 Pet. 2:4-7, NW) After the Jewish religionists rejected Christ the living stone and broke him down by death on the torture stake, on the third day thereafter Jehovah God raised him up to become the chief cornerstone of the temple of living stones then under preparation. He immediately appeared to his disciples and lifted them up out of their despondency, built them up spiritually so that they could “offer up spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God”. That this building of “the temple of his body” started then and continued through the years that followed is shown by Peter’s use of the present tense when years afterward he said Christ’s followers “are being built up a spiritual house”.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit