Can we understand the Bible without the Watchtower?

by brotherdan 111 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Some of the Society's claims back in the 1930s:

"If you spend 15 minutes reading each of Rutherford's books you would get more pleasure than you would reading the Bible for a whole year" (Vindication, 1932, Vol. 3, p. 383).
    "Until you have read Judge Rutherford's explanation of these questions, and of hundreds of others which in the past have been just as puzzling, you simply cannot understand the Bible" (Liberty, 1932, p. 64).
    "Each treatise can be read in just fifteen minutes, and more genuine satisfaction and profitable pleasure derived therefrom in that length of time than can be gotten from studying the Bible by yourself in a year" (Where Are the Dead?, 1932, p. 61).
    "In these days of perplexity you want to get on the right side of every question. You learned when a child what Jesus said about dividing people as sheep and goats are separated. That apt prophetic parable is now being fulfilled over all the world, and everyone is taking the side of Jehovah or against Him. Which side are you on? You cannot decide that properly unless you have the facts before you. This booklet explains the whole matter so clearly that with it as a guide you can make no mistake" (Calling Card presented with Dividing the People, 1933).
    "Judge Rutherford couldn't write these things unless he were used of God". (Golden Age, 23 October 1935, p. 50).
  • brotherdan
    brotherdan

Wow, I hadn't read those quotes before Leolaia! Thanks to Zid, I actually have those physical books now that I can find them in.

• ProdigalSon
    ProdigalSon

wow brotherdan, you're absolutely right that God is Love, so which old testament are you reading? The one I've read is the most blasphemous and incriminating description of God I've ever seen.

While WTWizard uses some slightly more colorful adjectives, his viewpoint is exactly the same as the Gnostic kabbalists and in my opinion, right on the money. Jesus was very clear that the God who sent him was not known by the world. If we are to take him at his word, then obviously the OT God was not the Most High.

It is really beneficial to seek out the interpretation of the Kabbalist Jewish Rabbis when it comes to the OT. They themselves have some stinging words to describe the intelligence level of people who believe them literally.

Throughout ancient myths, the Serpent represented the Life Principle. Take a look at a sperm cell and it is very obvious why. The entire Bible is astrological. There's a good reason why the Zodiac was inlaid in the tile floor of the Temple, according to Josephus. Lucifer is indeed the light bearer, which represents the planet Venus, the Morning Star. Jesus himself claimed to be that same Morning Star. This is why many saviors have 12 disciples.

This is all a bit of a quandary, unless there's some truth to what WTWizard is saying.

~PS

• brotherdan
    brotherdan
    wow brotherdan, you're absolutely right that God is Love, so which old testament are you reading? The one I've read is the most blasphemous and incriminating description of God I've ever seen.

I've been reading the OT with this same view in mind, and I have not seen this character of God. You decide to pull things out of context and focus on the warfare. And it shows that you don't understand the ENTIRE OT taken in full. The Israellites, after first coming to the promised land, refused to get rid of the demon worshipping people. And it was THAT that caused them to commit horrendous acts in the future. You can take some situations out of context and say that God is an evil person. But it just isn't true.

Also, you have to take the entire Bible into context, OT AND NT. God is love. But he is also Justice. He did command war on various nations, for good reason. And I am ok with that. If you put me in a category of having a sick perspective because I believe God was right in all that he did, then so be it. I'm in good company.

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

It is really beneficial to seek out the interpretation of the Kabbalist Jewish Rabbis when it comes to the OT.

I actually HAVE looked into Kabbala. It's a distortion of scripture and a blasphemous philosophy of men, IMO.

• notverylikely
    notverylikely

You let your emotions get the best of you instead of seeing WHY God did what he did.

That goes both ways, BD. You like to make the blanket statements that apply equally as well in your direction.

BTW, your use of inflammatory words like "disgusting lack of faith" make it look like you are making personal attacks from a postition of weakness. I am sure you would prefer others to not describe you as having a disgusting lack of critical thinking.

• notverylikely
    notverylikely

You decide to pull things out of context and focus on the warfare. And it shows that you don't understand the ENTIRE OT taken in full.

Explain slavery, genocide, transferred punishment, rape, forced marriage of virgins, etc. in context. Remember, since god could do anything, to protect the Israelites he just could have softened the hearts of their enemies or had an angel blow a stiff hot wind in their face or causeed all their sandal laces to break every time they tried to march.

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

The "disgusting lack of faith" comment isn't necessarily meant to be personal. But I have a strong relationship with God. And when someone calls him the names that I've seen some of you guys call Him on the site, it affects me personally. I don't know WHO you respect, but imagine me calling your mother or wife or best friends some of the names that people have called God on the site.

I try not to let emotionalism effect my view of the scriptures when I'm studying them. I am willing to consider the Bible uninspired in my new examinations of it. But I have not found anything that cannot be logically answered. That's just my opinion.

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

Free will, NVL. God has never forced people into a course of action. He commands them and they can take it or leave it. Of course he has killed those that directly violated his laws. God never commanded anyone to "rape" anyone. God never commanded anyone to take a "slave". There are some cultural things that we don't understand but if you read the OT with an open mind and heart, you can see that God WAS a truly loving God. Like I said, you focus on books like Judges and forget books like Jeremiah or Isaiah were God opens his heart and pleads with people to come back to him. Why did he want them back? For His OWN benefit?

Notice Isaiah 48:18, he only wanted them to have peace and comfort.

• ProdigalSon
    ProdigalSon

I never said God was an evil person, just the version of him found in the OT. I'm wondering how "false worship" justifies ethnic cleansing? How does this make Jehovah any different from any other genocidal maniac?

With all the stuff that's been posted on this site, showing how the OT is filled with Jewish fables taken from older myths, I'm surprised that I even have to go this route.... but carry on dear brotherdan. I really enjoy your posts.

~PS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit