Can we understand the Bible without the Watchtower?

by brotherdan 111 Replies latest watchtower bible

• sir82
    sir82

I wouldn't call it "bait and switch".

I'd say Russell was surprised by, then caught up in, then enthralled, by the success he was having in attracting followers.

It's pretty hard to resist when hundreds, then thousands, then 10's of thousands, believe you have special insight and a hotline to God. Once the first ethical corner is cut, look out.

For verification, just ask any of the 8 current members of the GB. Or read any "study edition" of the Watchtower.

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

I just consider it my "junk food" reading. I think it's interesting to see how the religion developed and how none of it's members know anything about it... (despite watching the uber uninformative new DVD)

• sabastious
    sabastious
    I just consider it my "junk food" reading.

I don't read it anymore. I had the same opinion of it, but I got to a point where I just can't stomach it anymore.

-Sab

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    I think it's interesting to see how the religion developed and how none of it's members know anything about it

The members cannot explain the latest "generation" teaching, much less a Russell book.

• Ri
    Ri

I feel this way about the Bible.....all of us can have a different view of what the Bible is trying to say...But going to our Creator in prayer and asking for guidance from his Holy Spirit will please him more, with or without the Bible.

• sabastious
    sabastious
    Creator in prayer and asking for guidance from his Holy Spirit will please him more, with or without the Bible.

If prayer is actually a way God connects with us, I would say it would be a much more prefered way to speak to him. The Bible is full of horrible imagry and fundamental intolerance. Very human.

-Sab

• AGuest
    AGuest
    That dude would be disfellowshipped for his beliefs if he tried to preach them at a KH today.

Not so sure, dear MS (the greatest of love and peace to you!). In one of my JC meeetings, one of the men lost his cool (well, eventually, they all did, but...). Anyway, after responding to his statement that we are "not to run ahead of this things written" with the question "The things written where, Brother?" this one guy almost jumped out of his seat to yell at me, "THE THINGS WRITTEN IN THE WATCHTOWER!!" He stopped short of adding, "You idiot!" Because, well, I was SUPPOSED to KNOW that, right? Stoopid me, I really didn't.

I was slightly shocked (not completely because I had a feeling that's what he meant, particularly because they never wanted to open their Bibles but only did so when I did... which they repeatedly asked me NOT to do, but...). But I think the PO was shocked that the guy had said it openly and angrily. He jumped in and nervously said, "Uh, no, no... the pages of the Bible." He said it very softly, however, 'cause Lord knows he couldn't bust the "brother" out right then and there for that faux pas!

Truth is, what is in the Bible is superseded by what is printed in the WT. I learned this because it was of the reasons for their issues with me: although something I shared WAS written in the Bible, according to MY JC guys... it isn't TRUTH... "until it's published in the Watchtower."

Of course, some things really depend on which congregation... and body of "elders"... a person is connected with.

Peace!

A slave of Christ,

SA

• AGuest
    AGuest
    If prayer is actually a way God connects with us, I would say it would be a much more prefered way to speak to him.

Prayer is wonderful, dear Sab (peace to you!) and is how we speak with God. His Son, however, is how He speaks... and connects... with us. And through that Son... how we "connect" with God. All one needs do is go to... and through... that One.

Again, peace to you!

A slave of Christ,

SA

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    If prayer is actually a way God connects with us, I would say it would be a much more prefered way to speak to him. The Bible is full of horrible imagry and fundamental intolerance. Very human.

One step closer :)

• ziddina
    ziddina

AAAAAAAaaaaaarrrrrggghhhh.....

So, "we" can't understand the bible without the Watchtower, eh???

In that case, what did REAL Christians do without it, for the first one thousand eight hundred years before "God's gift", Charles Taze Russell, showed up????

I have no idea how Christianity got along without him for the first two millenia....

Zid

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit