Generation Teaching - Everyone is speechless?

by Red Piller 443 Replies latest jw friends

• djeggnog
    djeggnog

@djeggnog wrote:

You cannot possibly know what I believe until you either [ask] me what I believe or you ask someone else, who is one of Jehovah's Witnesses (maybe, your wife) to tell you what we believe, because in this very thread, I'm hearing nonsense from former Jehovah's Witnesses that make the false accusation that we were making predictions as to when the end of the world when we were touting "1914-the generation that will not pass away," which is not true, and is conjecture on their part since their knowledge of the Bible was incomplete and they evidently thought that they could scheme their way to salvation by pretending to love God. Those that know Jehovah would never think that he or she would actually fool the Almighty. Only a fool would think that he or she would be successful in such an endeavor.

@lisaBObeesa wrote:

You are a shameless liar.

So what you saying to me here is that you believe your knowledge of the Bible to be complete? That you are not one that thought that you could scheme your way to salvation by pretending to love God so as to pull one on the Almighty, and by reason of my pointing out the truth about you, I'm a shameless liar? Ok, @lisaBObeesa, but if you don't mind so that I might better understand your accusation about us, tell me:

(1) Please provide the book, chapter and verse in the Bible where I would find the prophecy that God did not speak to which Jehovah's Witnesses have been pointing to and claiming that God had, in fact, spoken it? I ask because if Jehovah's Witnesses have ever articulated a prophecy and claimed that prophecy to have been a prophecy from God, then it stands to reason that anyone with a reasonable intelligence would have asked where in the Bible such a prophecy was recorded, book, chapter and verse. I'm hoping that you are willing to tell me, and if so, I have a second question in follow-up that I would like you to also answer:

(2) Assuming that you were willing to provide the book, chapter and verse pursuant to the previous question, please provide the basis for your allegation that this prophecy was fulfilled differently than the way in which Jehovah's Witnesses indicated it would undergo fulfillment (and by "differently" I mean that this prophecy did not come true).

Even active current JWs know that the JWs were predicting the end of the world before the generation of 1914 passed away.

What you say here is not true for the majority of Jehovah's Witnesses. You may have been guilty of making predictions that were not supported by God's word as to when Armageddon would arrive when you were one of Jehovah's Witnesses, and you may have been in association with some who persuaded you to this opinion, but I've never done this, for I shared with others how we understood Jesus' words at Matthew 24:34 and neither have other Jehovah's Witnesses done this, for our providing such explanations is not the same as if we were using uncanny power and pushing ahead in cooperation with the demons. (1 Samuel 15:23) Were this the case, 55-year-olds in 1965 with a life expectancy of age 70 might have expected Armageddon to arrive before 1980, and it would really have been presumptuous for anyone calling himself or herself one of Jehovah's Witnesses to have been predicting a specific date for Armageddon, which you might have done, @lisaBObeesa, but the majority of Jehovah's Witnesses never did.

Jehovah's Witnesses had hope toward God that the generation of the anointed brothers of Jesus Christ described as a "modern-day 'generation' of contemporaries that [would] not pass away" before the conclusion of this system of things, but knowing as we do now that Jesus was not referring to this "modern-day 'generation' of contemporaries," but to the generation of the sign of Jesus' presence in saying about "this generation" that it would "by no means pass away" without all of the things that he had foretold taking place first, we have hope toward God that we are even closer now to the end of "this generation" of the sign of Jesus' presence.

Yes, @lisaBObeesa, it had been our hope that the number of these "modern-day 'generation' of contemporaries' that continue to survive during Jesus' presence could be used as a precursor as to when the end of the present system of things would occur, but we are now know that it is an impossibility for anyone to know the "day and hour," just as Jesus stated at Matthew 24:36. We didn't predict the end would occur at any given time, but we did misinterpret Jesus' reference to "this generation" at Matthew 24:34 as referring to those of the anointed that were alive when his presence began and would still be alive at the conclusion of this system of things.

The word "generation" refers to the period of time that began in 1914 when Jesus' presence would be discerned by his followers and ends at Armageddon, and not to the life span of anyone that may have been alive back in 1914 as Jehovah's Witnesses had once thought to have been the meaning of "generation." We now know that Jesus was saying that "this generation" to whom the sign of his invisible presence would be discerned would not pass away, that is to say, would not come to an end, until all of the things he said were destined to occur during the conclusion of the system of things did, in fact, occur.

@djeggnog wrote:

If you do not wish to answer the question I have asked you here, just don't answer it. [A] significant portion of my question was whether or not a 360-day lunar year averages 30 days per month. You [clearly] did not miss the thrust of the words "that each month averages 30 days"....

@TD wrote:

I'm sorry you don't feel that your question was answered directly.

Again you evaded my multi-parted question. It's clear to me that, for some unknown reason, you do not wish to respond to it, and I'm ok with that, @TD. I knew to whom I was speaking before I put those questions to you. It is clear to me that your intent here is to be argumentative with me and while I don't mind discussing the Bible with you, I do not want to argue with you, for I have absolutely no interest in doing this.

@djeggnog wrote:

No, "1914-the generation that will not pass away" was the hope of Jehovah's Witnesses based on our wrong understanding of what Jesus said at Matthew 24:34, but Jehovah's Witnesses would never pretend that we could predict the date when Armageddon will arrive, for Jesus said at Matthew 24:36 that "nobody knows" [that day and hour] ... only the Father." Also, we have yet to hear anyone declare that "peace and security" has been achieved, which event was foretold to occur before "sudden destruction is to be instantly upon them." (1 Thessalonians 5:3)

@Joey Jo-Jo

In the bottom of the last page of chapter 18 You Can Live Forever In Paradise Earth book it says "Some in this generation that lived in 1914 will see the end of this system of things and will survive [Armageddon] (book made in 1989)

Is this called old light or false prophecy?

There's a caption in chapter 18 in the Live Forever book that reads, "Some of the generation living in 1914 will see the end of the system of things and will survive it," but this is not a prophecy. It's an interpretation. In that same chapter 18, notice at paragraph 5 that Jesus' prophecy as to one aspect of the sign of his invisible presence found at Matthew 24:7 ("nation will rise against nation and kingdom against kingdom") is quoted, and that what follows this aspect of Jesus' prophecy is our interpretation to the effect of how World War I and World War II represented the fulfillment of this prophecy beginning in 1914.

Also notice another feature of the sign of Jesus' invisible presence found at Luke 21:11 ("in one place after another pestilences") is quoted, and that what follows this particular aspect of Jesus' prophecy is our interpretation to the effect of how the Spanish flu was responsible for the deaths of some 21 million people, even as many more diseases, including cancer, has afflicted millions of people since 1914.

Again, our interpretations of Jesus' prophecies do not somehow transform our interpretations into prophecies themselves. Anyone that should accuse Jehovah's Witnesses of doing this would be woefully ignorant of the difference between a prophecy and an interpretation of a prophecy.

Essentially you are asking me whether the adjustment that was made in our understanding of Matthew 24:34 in the Watchtower dated February 15, 2008, and in the Watchtower dated April 15, 2010, is called "old light or false prophecy"? What it is called is "an adjustment."

@djeggnog

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

...You cannot possibly know what I believe...

We know what you are supposed to believe, because it's printed in your church's litterature, and we know that you'll get kicked to the gutter by your bretheren if they find out you believe anything else.

• DanaBug
    DanaBug
    You cannot possibly know what I believe until you either me what I believe or you ask someone else, who is one of Jehovah's Witnesses (maybe, your wife) to tell you what we believe, because in this very thread, I'm hearing nonsense from former Jehovah's Witnesses that make the false accusation that we were making predictions as to when the end of the world when we were touting "1914-the generation that will not pass away," which is not true, and is conjecture on their part since their knowledge of the Bible was incomplete and they evidently thought that they could scheme their way to salvation by pretending to love God. Those that know Jehovah would never think that he or she would actually fool the Almighty. Only a fool would think that he or she would be successful in such an endeavor.
    For those here that think people making statements based upon their understanding that something was true before discovering whether or not what they believed to be true was, in fact, true, I bring you a few quotes from what political leaders here in the US and elsewhere had stated before the US declared war on Iraq, people that had wrongly understood something to be true that turned out not to have been true, and had persuaded not just US citizens that what they were about to do was "payback for 9/11" when Iraq had nothing to do with what occurred to us here in the US in 2001, but which no one has characterized as a prediction. Our nation's leaders were just flat wrong and mistakenly spent national treasure and human lives in pursuit of something that didn't exist.

Interesting comparison!

Don't waste your fruitage of the spirit on any of us, dear eggnog.

• Joey Jo-Jo
    Joey Jo-Jo

Thanks for your reply DJ, you really didn't answer my question, nowhere in the chapter does it mention this caption as an interpretation, also the word you used "interpretation" is used in most prophecy e.g revelations, so this is an interpretation of prophecy. I understand why the interpretation changed and it wouldn't surprised me if it changed again.

Lets say that in 1989 when this book came out and I was at the meeting and told everyone that everyone from 1914 will die and not see the end of this system of things, wouldn't I be disfellowship because my "interpretation" differs with the interpretation of the governing body? Would you like me show you what the bible says about false prophets?

• lisaBObeesa
    lisaBObeesa

Lisa said: You are a shameless liar

djeggnogg said: So what you saying to me here is that you believe your knowledge of the Bible to be complete?

No. I'm saying you are a shameless liar.

djeggnog said: That you are not one that thought that you could scheme your way to salvation by pretending to love God so as to pull one on the Almighty, and by reason of my pointing out the truth about you, I'm a shameless liar?

What are you talking about? Again, I have no problem with God. I have a problem with false prophets and liars.

djeggnog said: Ok, @lisaBObeesa, but if you don't mind so that I might better understand your accusation about us, tell me:
    (1) Please provide the book, chapter and verse in the Bible where I would find the prophecy that God did not speak to which Jehovah's Witnesses have been pointing to and claiming that God had, in fact, spoken it?

How am I going to find a prophecy in the Bible that God did not speak? I’m not understanding.

I ask because if Jehovah's Witnesses have ever articulated a prophecy and claimed that prophecy to have been a prophecy from God, then it stands to reason that anyone with a reasonable intelligence would have asked where in the Bible such a prophecy was recorded, book, chapter and verse.

Oh, I get you now. I'm sorry, I can't help you here! See, I’ve been talking about the Jehovah’s Witnesses FALSE prophecy. And those are NOT in the Bible. That’s a big part of what make them false. That and, you know, how they don’t come true.

There is no prophecy in the Bible about the end of the world happening before the generation of 1914 passes away.

Lisa said: Even active current JWs know that the JWs were predicting the end of the world before the generation of 1914

passed away.

djeggnog said: What you say here is not true for the majority of Jehovah's Witnesses.

Maybe today, I don't know for sure. But is true of the majority of JWs who were members and of an age to understand the literature and talks in the 1980's. And I will take it a step further. They were not really 'predicting' it. They KNEW for sure it was going to happen. They were foretelling that the end of the world would come before the generation of 1914 passed away.

You may have been guilty of making predictions that were not supported by God's word as to when Armageddon would arrive when you were one of Jehovah's Witnesses, and you may have been in association with some who persuaded you to this opinion, but I've never done this, for I shared with others how we understood Jesus' words at Matthew 24:34 and neither have other Jehovah's Witnesses done this, for our providing such explanations is not the same as if we were using uncanny power and pushing ahead in cooperation with the demons. (1 Samuel 15:23) Were this the case, 55-year-olds in 1965 with a life expectancy of age 70 might have expected Armageddon to arrive before 1980, and it would really have been presumptuous for anyone calling himself or herself one of Jehovah's Witnesses to have been predicting a specific date for Armageddon, which you might have done, @lisaBObeesa, but the majority of Jehovah's Witnesses never did.

ALL JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES IN THE 1980's BELIEVED THE WATCHTOWER TEACHING THAT THE CREATOR PROMISED THAT THE WORLD WOULD END BEFORE THE GENERATION OF 1914 PASSED AWAY. ALL JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES BELIEVED THAT.

ALL of them.

God's "UNITED" followers don't cha know.

If they didn't, and they went around telling other JWs they didn't believe it, they would be labled an apostate and disfellowhsipped and cut off from all friends and possibly their families. Period.

Jehovah's Witnesses had hope toward God that the generation of the anointed brothers of Jesus Christ described as a "modern-day 'generation' of contemporaries that [would] not pass away" before the conclusion of this system of things, but knowing as we do now that Jesus was not referring to this "modern-day 'generation' of contemporaries," but to the generation of the sign of Jesus' presence in saying about "this generation" that it would "by no means pass away" without all of the things that he had foretold taking place first, we have hope toward God that we are even closer now to the end of "this generation" of the sign of Jesus' presence.

You guys 'hoped' you were right? Well, no that is not quite how it was. Jehovah's Witnesses KNEW FOR SURE that they were right. There was no question. It was called: THE TRUTH.

And then they were wrong.

So they tried to changed what the word 'generation' means so they could still be right.

But you can't just change what words mean to try and make what you said that was wrong THE TRUTH.

When you find out that 2+2 doesn't equal 5 you can't just say "Well, now we understand that 5 actually means 4!" and then keep going around telling people that the TRUTH is 2+2='5' with the 5 in little quote marks.

Either it is the truth, or it isn't.

Yes, @lisaBObeesa, it had been our hope that the number of these "modern-day 'generation' of contemporaries' that continue to survive during Jesus' presence could be used as a precursor as to when the end of the present system of things would occur, but we are now know that it is an impossibility for anyone to know the "day and hour," just as Jesus stated at Matthew 24:36. We didn't predict the end would occur at any given time, but we did misinterpret Jesus' reference to "this generation" at Matthew 24:34 as referring to those of the anointed that were alive when his presence began and would still be alive at the conclusion of this system of things.

Again, the Jehovah's Witnesses DID predict that the world would end before the generation of 1914 passed away. No matter how much you LIE about it.

The word "generation" refers to the period of time that began in 1914 when Jesus' presence would be discerned by his followers and ends at Armageddon, and not to the life span of anyone that may have been alive back in 1914 as Jehovah's Witnesses had once thought to have been the meaning of "generation." We now know that Jesus was saying that "this generation" to whom the sign of his invisible presence would be discerned would not pass away, that is to say, would not come to an end, until all of the things he said were destined to occur during the conclusion of the system of things did, in fact, occur.

I, and everyone else who speaks English, know what the word "generation" means.

It doesn't matter what convolued mish-mash Jehovah's Witnesses are teaching is TRUTH now.

The fact is, it isn't THE TRUTH. It's A GUESS.<-->

• djeggnog
    djeggnog

@djeggnog wrote:

You cannot possibly know what I believe until you either [ask] me what I believe or you ask someone else, who is one of Jehovah's Witnesses (maybe, your wife) to tell you what we believe, because in this very thread, I'm hearing nonsense from former Jehovah's Witnesses that make the false accusation that we were making predictions as to when the end of the world when we were touting "1914-the generation that will not pass away," which is not true, and is conjecture on their part since their knowledge of the Bible was incomplete and they evidently thought that they could scheme their way to salvation by pretending to love God. Those that know Jehovah would never think that he or she would actually fool the Almighty. Only a fool would think that he or she would be successful in such an endeavor.

For those here that think people making statements based upon their understanding that something was true before discovering whether or not what they believed to be true was, in fact, true, I [posted earlier in this thread] ... a few quotes from what political leaders here in the US and elsewhere had stated before the US declared war on Iraq, people that had wrongly understood something to be true that turned out not to have been true, and had persuaded not just US citizens that what they were about to do was "payback for 9/11" when Iraq had nothing to do with what occurred to us here in the US in 2001, but which no one has characterized as a prediction. Our nation's leaders were just flat wrong and mistakenly spent national treasure and human lives in pursuit of something that didn't exist.

@DanaBug wrote:

Interesting comparison!

The question is, did you understand the comparison I make to the predictions made by those political leaders based on their interpretation of the intelligence that they were given, which predictions I quoted, and their unfulfilled predictions, and the predictions made by the Lord Jesus Christ and the conclusions reached by Jehovah's Witnesses based on their interpretation of the Bible, and their yet-to-be-fulfilled prophecies? I posted that comparison primarily for the lurkers that are reading this thread, for most of the people with whom I have been exchanging posts here are, I believe, incompetent to be able to understand the point I was making and would be too arrogant to ask for help from someone to comprehend the comparison.

It forces the question: Are the political leaders that claim to be Christians false prophets when the predictions they make do not come true or are Jehovah's Witnesses false prophets when interpreting the predictions that God makes in the Bible before they even know whether their interpretations have come true? I want to assume, @DanaBug, that you understood the comparison, but did you?

@Joey Jo-Jo:

Thanks for your reply DJ, you really didn't answer my question, nowhere in the chapter does it mention this caption as an interpretation, also the word you used "interpretation" is used in most prophecy e.g revelations, so this is an interpretation of prophecy. I understand why the interpretation changed and it wouldn't surprised me if it changed again.

Actually, if I didn't answer your question, perhaps you could rephrase it so that I might not again fail to answer it. Your question seemed clear, but perhaps I did misunderstand it and answered some other question.

Lets say that in 1989 when this book came out and I was at the meeting and told everyone that everyone from 1914 will die and not see the end of this system of things, wouldn't I be disfellowship because my "interpretation" differs with the interpretation of the governing body?

No, I don't think so. Or, to put this in another way, if your interpretation of a Bible text should differ from my interpretation of that same text, then I, as one of Jehovah's Witnesses, would have to accept the fact that you have a different opinion than we have, and might ask you to keep this opinion to yourself and admonish you to not bring this teaching of yours to any meeting where Jehovah's Witnesses gather or share this opinion of yours with folks that would associate you as being one of Jehovah's Witnesses since your doing this could be the cause of divisions or strife among God's people. (Romans 15:14; 1 Corinthians 10:32; 11:16; 1 Thessalonians 5:14)

I would then observe whether your faith permits you to be obedient to the instructions of those taking the lead in God's organization. If not, I would admonish you a second time against your continuing to be a divisive element in the local congregation and again observe whether you are for Christ or against Christ. (Matthew 12:30; Titus 1:13, 14; 2 Thessalonians 3:14, 15)

If the latter, I might then form a committee and vote to give you either a private reproof or a public one, but if outvoted, then you would probably be disfellowshipped for apostasy, which action would permit you the freedom to start your own church or do whatever you wished should you then decide that you do not wish to be a part of God's congregation. (Titus 3:10, 11)

Would you like me show you what the bible says about false prophets?

Only if you should think you know more than I do about what things the Bible teaches as to what constitutes one a false prophet, yes, I would. As I recently pointed out to someone in this thread, my understanding of how one might test whether or not a prophecy contained in the Bible is from Jehovah God, by observing the following checklist based on Deuteronomy 18:20-22 and Deuteronomy 13:1-3, assuming that this alleged prophecy of God is found in the Bible:

#1: The prophecy must be fulfilled.

#2: The prophecy has to be in harmony with God’s commandments.

#3: The prophecy promotes true worship.

Now if there is something beyond or other than these three points that you can show me that will help me to appreciate what the Bible says about false prophets, I'd be happy to listen to whatever you have to say.

@djeggnog

• jookbeard
  • wasblind
    wasblind

DJeggnogg said: "Again, our interpretations of Jesus' prophecies do not somehow transform our interpretations into prophecies themselves."

In the Reason book on page 60 under the heading of EVIDENCES of INSPIRATION it states: " It is filled with prophecies reflecting DETAILED knowledge of the future--something impossible for humans.

On page 97 in the Reasoning book the chart gives detailed knowlegde of the times and the seasons

Acts: 1:7 states: " it does not belong to you to get knowledge of the times or seasons which the father has placed in his own jurisdiction."

The WTS has attempted to go against the teachings of Jesus. And as long as they keep doing so, they will continue to be proven as false prophets.

• Ding
    Ding

Djeggnog writes: "As I recently pointed out to someone in this thread, my understanding of how one might test whether or not a prophecy contained in the Bible is from Jehovah God, by observing the following checklist based on Deuteronomy 18:20-22 and Deuteronomy 13:1-3, assuming that this alleged prophecy of God is found in the Bible:"

Does this mean that the only time the false prophets' tests of Deuteronomy 18 and 13 apply is if the prophecy itself is found in the Bible?

That would mean that if the Israelites in Jeremiah's day couldn't apply these tests to determine that the false prophets were really false prophets until after Jeremiah or some other inspired writer put those false prophecies into writing and it became part of the canon of Scripture.

Does that make sense?

Or am I misunderstanding what you're saying?

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW
    Armageddon to arrive before 1980, and it would really have been presumptuous for anyone calling
    himself or herself one of Jehovah's Witnesses to have been predicting a specific date for Armageddon,
    which you might have done, @lisaBObeesa, but the majority of Jehovah's Witnesses never did......DjEggNogg

Your a Blatant Liar..15 pages of BullSh*t..

Bethel reads this board..

They are probably on their knees..Praying for you to Shut the F*ck Up..

............................ ...OUTLAW

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit