I've Just Figured Out the Appeal of Sarah Palin!!

by AGuest 73 Replies latest jw friends

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

Yup. I think Sarah Palin is the intellectual equivalent of a horse's patoot. Nothing she has said convinces me otherwise. Conversely, everything she says and does reinforces my original impression of her as a singularly self-serving dimwit. Having said that, if she stayed out of politics, we wouldn't be having this conversation. Lots of crazy, deluded, awful people in the world, but it's the ones who aspire to running my country who come under critical scrutiny.

Having said that, my previous comments were not directed directly at Palin but at the tone and direction of discussions here regarding Palin. Pro-Palin poster's defensiveness quickly turns to offensiveness and then invariably personal attacks against those who express reservations about Palin's suitability for office. I wonder why?

• Gregor
    Gregor

Gee, so you don't have the guts to stand by your own past posts on the Palin subject. I won't bother to dig them up but they were downright weired.

I don't see her at this point in time as being our next president. But I think you have over reacted again on the subject -She is a very polarizing political figure on the scene. Maybe that is what this country is ready for. God knows progressives and their President have taken the lead in the "take it or leave it" , "my way or the highway" "shut up and sit in the back of the bus" method of dealing with the other side. Palin, the 'horses patoot', 'dimwit' who is 'crazy' 'deluded' and 'awful' might just get shoved down your throat like Obama was for conservatives. Those poor folks who "express reservations about her suitability for office" are just being picked on, huh?

• Snoozy
    Snoozy

BizzyBee and I agree that Sarah Palin is a dimwit!... (or at least she acts like she is one)

Not saying anything is wrong with being a dimwit but one shouldn't be in politics.

Not saying there aren't already a few dimwits in office..

Just saying...

Snoozy

• torn in two son
    torn in two son

Oh Sarah Palin's hot...

...but I'm still a democrat.

Torn

• darkuncle29
    darkuncle29

I'm just not so sure about her commintment to Sparkle Motion.

• Violia
    Violia

Sarah ( after stepping down) is a politial activists and is not a candiate at this time or and it appears not in the near future. . There are others I enjoy listening to MIchelle Malkin and Laura In Ingraham and Ann Coulter . Ann is so corrrect, the left just has no sense of humor or appears to have none.

My hubby and I are slowing down on our listening to Glen Beck due to him taking a a disturbing religious "bent " a while back. I respect the constitution for it is the foundation of this great country but that 40 day and and 40 night " thing" just got to us , it smacked of too much like Jwish. Perhaps we still have ptsd from our jws experience , but still, our bs meter went off. I still watch him but take what I need and leave what I don't and that is what I do with all the political activists.

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

downright weired.

Oh, I dunno.....threatening to drain the swamp and make Nancy Pelosi into a handbag and shoes kinda takes the prize for "weired" (or weird.)

• Mad Dawg
    Mad Dawg

Let me guess BB, you are all love and sweetness with those you disagree with.

Laughing

• Gregor
    Gregor

Yes, that's it, "weird". Never was too sure of the spelling. Yeah, handbags and shoes, Good stuff, eh?

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

Back to Shelby's topic:

Yes, I think you're right, Shelby. Palin's faux-folksy patter appeals to those who are distrustful of the "over-educated elites" who have dominated government. It reassures them that our problems can't be so awful that they can't be solved by the application of good old, down-home 'common-sense.' It is related to a type of magical thinking that demands that problems of enormous complexity be reduced to simplistic solutions or, failing that, dismissed as unimportant.

Others might find her tone of voice as grating as her words. Her vocal register is an unrelenting combination of mocking, sarcasm and offensiveness (as opposed to defensiveness.) There is an undercurrent of anger, which is becoming more pronounced the longer she is on the public scene (understandable) and, at the same time, as if she is suppressing an amused chortle. But she is not amused - she is angry and defensive (paradoxically, she seems on the offense and defense at the same time). It is unpleasant to witness because she never stops smiling no matter how serious the subject - the effect is a sense that she is condescending to her audience - mocking them.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit