No one is going to Heaven (and my introduction to the forum)

by sobrino1 135 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• brotherdan
    brotherdan
    The Bible makes a point of naming 144,000 as a specific group of kings and priests to rule over mankind as co-heirs with Jesus.

Where does it say they will rule over mankind? Or are you adding to the scriptures?

In Revelation chapters 7 and 14, are the 144,000 ever spoken of as being kings, priests, or the bride of Christ?

Rev 7:3 - are bond-servants of God

7:4 - are sealed on their foreheads

7:4 - number 144,000

7:4-8 - are sealed from the 12 tribes of Israel

14:1 - stand on Mt. Zion with the Lamb.

14:1 - have the Lamb's and His Father's names on their foreheads

14:3 - sang a new song before the throne; no one else could learn the song

14:3 - had been purchased from the earth

14:4 - have not been defiled with women; have kept themselves chaste

14:4 - follow the Lamb wherever He goes

14:4 - have been purchased from among men as first fruits to God and the Lamb

14:5 - no lie was found in their mouth; they are blameless

There is no mention of their being kings, priests, or the bride of Christ.

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

Also, debator:

If the 144,000 rule as kings and priests over the earth, they have to have somebody to rule over.

However, the 144,000 rule "on" not "over" the earth (Rev. 5:10). The New World Translation says "over"; the Greek says "upon".

The Watchtower leaders want to keep the kings and priests above the earth as only spirit creatures. Christians living at the end of the great tribulation will populate the thousand year reign of Jesus Christ. Do kings and priests reign over them? The 144,000 are never spoken of as being the kings, priests or the bride of Christ in Revelation 7:3-8 or 14:1-5. Contrast Israelites (7:4) and every nation (5:9).

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

On the death of your body, you spirit returns to God, back to Heaven. There is NO passage anywahere that denies this.

Regardless of any view or interpretation of "soul" and where it can/does/may go, the spirit returns to Heaven and as such you/your spirit, goes to heaven upon your death.

It is returned to your body upon the ressurection.

• wannabefree
    wannabefree

Welcome sobrino!

Thank you for expressing your faith.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia
    I think you are right about the great crowd being a different group as they come out of all nations, tribes and peoples and tongues whereas the 144000 come out of certain jewish tribes. My excuse is that I didn't used to pay attention when I was a witness and still am quite sloppy in my comprehension

Actually your original view is held by various Bible scholars and commentators, that the two groups may be the same or least overlap. "Some have argued that two different groups are in view, the prevailing view when Bousset wrote the second edition of his commentary in 1906 .... Most scholars now contend, however, that a single group is described from different perspectives" (Aune, Vol. 2, p. 447). The audition in the first half of ch. 7 ennumerates the tribulation saints in the style of an OT military census (cf. the description of the 144,000 as celibate in ch. 14, which is a requirement for holy warriors in the OT); they bear the mark of God on their foreheads, which anticipates the description of the great tribulation in ch. 13 in which the Beast "was given power to make war against the saints and to conquer them", with the Beast killing all those who refused to accept its mark on their foreheads and/or right hands (v. 7, 16-17). These saints are explicitly on earth during the audition (7:1-4). The time is also prior to the plagues, as these saints are all sealed prior to the angels unleashing the natural forces on the earth. The vision of the great crowd, on the other hand, is at a point later in time. It is after the great tribulation (v. 14) and the victory song in very similar to the one in ch. 19 (which is in response to the destruction of Babylon). The great crowd are in heaven, i.e. they have been martyred like those before them who were martyred and went to heaven to await their avenging which would not occur until the full number has been killed (6:9-10). Both groups thus may represent the tribulation saints at different points in time: the audition follows earlier martyrdoms but precedes the great tribulation, whereas the vision follows the tribulation and shows the full number of martyred Christians in heaven. The 144,000 is the group chosen to complete the number (as the earlier martyred saints in ch. 6 were waiting in heaven for the full number to be completed).

The difference in number and national affiliation is also intelligible with the view that both represent the same group from different points of view, as they draw rather clearly on different conceptions of Israel found in the OT and NT. First, John is given an audition of the drafting of 144,000 from the twelve tribes of Israel. These are specifically numbered and defined by their tribal affiliation. But in the vision, John sees an "innumerable" crowd from all nations and tongues. In the promise to Abraham, God promised that his descendents would be as innumerable as the stars in the sky or the grains of sand on the seashore. Thus the notion of innumerability is built into the concept of Abraham's seed, which Paul in Galatians applied to Christians. Abraham was also promised to be the father of many nations, which also includes the notion of internationality in Abraham's seed. With Christians being the heirs promised to Abraham, the "seed" would include the many tongues and nations represented in the early Christian church. The notion of innumerability is also closely linked to the problem of census-taking of Israelites in the OT, as this would put a number on what should be innumerable (so in some passages census-taking was construed as a great sin, while in others it was an acceptable part of waging war). The twelve tribes of Israel are indeed described as being as innumerable as the sand on the seashore in 2 Samuel 17:11 and 1 Kings 4:20.

I agree with designs that revelation is to be taken symbolically.

Such as the tribes listed, which do not correspond to any literal tribes of Israel (the twelve listed do not correspond to any OT list of the tribes) or Christianity (which was not divided up into tribes). Rather the tribal specification is a metonymic application of "Israel" and its basic features to the Christian community at large.

I was looking at Youngs translation and he puts 144000 in the plural - one hundred and fortyfour thousands I want to ask Leolaia if young is simply being very literal. Otherwise his translation suggests there are many 144 thousands - this would make it quite interesting if he suggest such huge multitiudes

Well, as I pointed out, the notion of Israel itself embodies innumerability, see the verses cited above that referred to the twelve tribes as being as vast as the sand on the seashore (an alusion to Abraham's promise, which Paul applied to the church). And as I pointed out also, the census in ch. 7 of Revelation is a military draft like those in the OT (see Numbers 26, for instance). These warriors do not represent the totality of "Israel" but only a portion, as the expression used in Revelation also indicates (12,000 sealed ex "out of" each tribe, i.e. the 12,000 is a portion taken out of each tribe).

This is just an instance of the YLT being too literal; this is simply a matter of grammatical agreement in number (imagine saying "two dozens" instead of "two dozen"). This can be seen in the verses that follow that khiliades is plural there as well, and it does not refer to a sum more than 12,000 because 12 x 12,000 = 144,000.

If the 144,000 rule as kings and priests over the earth, they have to have somebody to rule over. However, the 144,000 rule "on" not "over" the earth (Rev. 5:10). The New World Translation says "over"; the Greek says "upon".

As I've mentioned in earlier threads, the NWT is correct here. Epi here follows a verb of authority and is properly translated by "over" in English, e.g. "Queen Victoria ruled over the entire British Empire" ("over" expressing a relation of authority, not a spatial location). "On" implies a spatial location, which is not the sense of epi here. The Society also sometimes errs in interpreting "over" in the NWT in a spatial sense, i.e. that they are spatially located in heaven "over" the earth. They even make this claim while at the same time acknowledging that epi is non-spatial here!

• Curtains
    Curtains

thanks Leolaia - for making these passages intelligible.

"The difference in number and national affiliation is also intelligible with the view that both represent the same group from different points of view, as they draw rather clearly on different conceptions of Israel found in the OT and NT."

This is what I have been grasping for - intelligibility. When I used to read the NWT on its own it was intelligible but when reading with the explanatory literature produced by Jehovahs witnesses I'd struggle to comprehend. And now when I try to grapple with Debator it is hard to get my head around Jehovahs witness' explanations as they are very unintelligible when compared with the bible. They pick out remote verses that have nothing to do with one another and are from different contexts and then they produce what I think of as an additive rich, fat laden unhealthy sausage of an explanation.

you said

"This is just an instance of the YLT being too literal; this is simply a matter of grammatical agreement in number (imagine saying "two dozens" instead of "two dozen"). This can be seen in the verses that follow that khiliades is plural there as well, and it does not refer to a sum more than 12,000 because 12 x 12,000 = 144,000."

I see.

you said

"Such as the tribes listed, which do not correspond to any literal tribes of Israel (the twelve listed do not correspond to any OT list of the tribes) or Christianity (which was not divided up into tribes). Rather the tribal specification is a metonymic application of "Israel" and its basic features to the Christian community at large."

I understand the idea of metonym - how interesting to see this in the bible. These devices are often found in declammatory material that is designed to be heard to make associations that will be familiar to listeners. Love it - thanks again Leolaia

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit