Why did God kill children?

by brotherdan 185 Replies latest watchtower bible

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

No it does not. If you look at the passages that the WTS uses to justify it's disfellowshiping, the situations where far different than what they interpret them to be.

Paul's only issue was safeguarding the church from those who were DELIBERATELY trying to sabatoge it. He was not saying that if someone committs a sin (even a serious sin) that he should be cut off from all family and friends. The ones that were to be avoided COMPLETELY were only the ones that tried to encourage others to follow their sinful course. 99.9% of those disfellowshiped today DO NOT fit in to that category.

We have plenty of examples in the Bible of people in various churches that had disagreements and differences in faith.

Also there is nowhere in the bible that says that one who has a different faith or no faith at all should be shunned. Paul and John both were interested only in protecting the church from corrupting influences. They were not speaking about punishing all those that had a disagreement in faith.

• HintOfLime
    HintOfLime
    It was written in such a way that, while certain things can be proved without the shadow of a doubt, other things must be taken on faith.

In which case, God has more-less created a filter that would prevent nearly anyone that values logic, values observation and verification, and doesn't just 'believe everything they read in a book someplace' from knowing him.

Seems like a strange thing for god to specifically filter-out. And at the same time - it is exactly the the sort of thing that the religious powers need to filter out.

- Lime

• The Finger
    The Finger

Bohm,

I'm not God and my justice would only be based on a limited view of things.

• The Finger
    The Finger

Hint of Lime,

We can confirm we don't know everything so it would be better not to judge God's actions but rather be concerned with our own.

• bohm
    bohm

Finger, if you dont have a personal oppinion on eternal torture (which to me seem as a moral non-brainer), then perhaps we should just agree to disagree, since if that is truly the case then I do agree that you do need someone else, be that a book, a person or personal revelation, to tell you if torture and murder is okay or not.

Brotherdan: My impression has allways been that there is a few verses by paul who can be taken to support shunning, but as a whole its against the message of Jesus and, well, paul might have had specific reasons for writing these things because of details we didnt know of (or, as the atheist in me would want, he just wrote them because they agreed with his personal view of the matter).

I think that a religion which is taken "as a faith" and not as something which is "obviously" grounded on evidence is a very reasonable thing. Personally i would never object to such a belief system, nor can i come up with a reason why i would possibly want to do that.

• HintOfLime
    HintOfLime
    We can confirm we don't know everything so it would be better not to judge God's actions but rather be concerned with our own.

I don't need to know everything in the universe to judge the actions of a fictional character.

- Lime

• The Finger
    The Finger

Hint of Lime,

The question "Why did God kill children?" I thought was based on the premise of God existing and as creator of everything including moral values and not a fictional character. As the creator of everything only he has the knowledge and right to decide. In God we trust.

• notverylikely
    notverylikely

Maybe i'm wrong.

No maybe about it.

As the creator of everything only he has the knowledge and right to decide.

Case in point.

• HintOfLime
    HintOfLime
    In God we trust.

Just as long as you don't trust him around your kids. One false move and he'll dash them to peices against the rocks.

- Lime

• garyneal
    garyneal

Can you believe that there was an ad to the Church of Scientology on this thread?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit