Children of 1975

by d 278 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Violia
    Violia

I was an young adult in 75 and vividly recall all the hype about it. I knew someone from Bethel and they were as freaked out as everyone else. Life was eat , sleep and breathe 75. Toward the fall of the year everyone was nearly hysterical. However by then one began to hear a few words of "what if it does not come in 75, will you still serve Jehovah?" I can think of so many PO's that just got up on the platform and screamed like a Baptist preachers about Hellfire when talking about 75.

What a ride. Glad I survived 75. I told one friend" I don't believe the big A is going to happen in 75" They said" what if you are wrong?" I said" what if I am, the worst thing is the big A will happen and isn't that what we want?"

Most of us were scared out of our minds. My hubby and I were not, we just did not believe it. But we were in the minority.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep
    To add anything more is just to be repeating myself.
    Exageration, conspiracy theories and emotional manipulation from hearsay are poor debating tools.

Ha ha ha ha ha.

Poor widdle joebie joe witless has to run away without answering her question..... again

How many brothers are still living on the proceeds of the sale of their homes in 1974, Debator????

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

We sold our home because Armageddon was coming in 1975..

http://www.torontorealtyblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/old.jpg

Yum!..Whats for Dinner?..

Now that we`re Old,Broke,Homeless and it`s 2010..

http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/thumb_191/11913885551NR0YK.jpg

Debator/Reniaa..

Would you like to join us for dinner Dumb Ass?!!..

http://blogs.villagevoice.com/runninscared/old-people-bird.jpg

........................... ...OUTLAW

• Mythbuster
  • Steve_C
    Steve_C

I was born into "the Truth" in 1963, so I was 12 in 1975. I certainly remember the hype, and to my young mind it was fearful.

Yet, it was also exciting for me, since I was told that I would never go to high school in this system. If any of you have had the horrible experience of being a weird non-holiday-celebrating, non-team-sport-playing witness kid in school, you can appreciate the hope of not having to continue your education as an outcast.

I remember the excitement at the assemblies at Dodger Stadium (in L.A.) in the early 70s. The speakers did indeed frequently mention the number of months remaining (which made baking all day in the sun just slightly more bearable).

In 1973, my single-parent mom was disfellowshipped for smoking. I continued to attend meetings with my older sister (who was the one who had turned in our mom to the elders), but I was terribly upset that my mom was going to become bird food in just a couple more years. So, when 1975 came and went, it was actually a relief, since I still had hope that my mom would "come back."

I also remember for a time right after 1975 that the "we-don't-know-when-Eve-was-created-and-when-Jehovah-officially-began-his-'rest'-day" excuse was given for the delay. As the months, then years passed, this increasingly changed to the "no-one-knows-the-day-nor-hour-so-why-were-YOU-speculating-anyway?" tactic.

When I graduated high school in 1981, and the end hadn't come yet, I went a bit wild. However, I got pulled back into the cult a couple of years later with all the "this generation will not pass away" hooplah. I got baptized at that time, but 20 years later had had enough and left.

It's amazing to read all of the changes that have happened since that time (generation definitions, no more 1935 heavenly calling door-closing, etc.) and so liberating to read them as a free-thinking observer and no longer as a mind-controlled zealot.

• debator
    debator

Like I keep saying, many witnesses did hype thereselves up about 75' and that is what the young ones are remembering.

Some keep posting "time is short" watchtowers (as if they are some kind of proof) which is just silly since that is stardard preaching for every year since watchtower started posting. Actually standard for the bible too.

1 Corinthians 7:29
    What I mean, brothers, is that the time is short. From now on those who have wives should live as if they had none;

• Steve_C
    Steve_C

debator wrote:

Like I keep saying, many witnesses did hype thereselves up about 75' and that is what the young ones are remembering.

I wrote:

I remember the excitement at the assemblies at Dodger Stadium (in L.A.) in the early 70s. The speakers did indeed frequently

mention the number of months remaining

The speakers at district assemblies were representatives of the WTS, not your witness friends chatting at McDonald's during field service.

• debator
    debator

Hi steve

We are all representitives of Jehovah's witnesses!

You are simply buying into the false "Them and us" scenario people put forth to avoid facing personal accountability for choices made by you personally.

"she/he made me do it!" is the oldest justification in the bible.

Our shepherds though feeling the effects of this enthusiasm for Armageddon still posted cautionary notes in the watchtower with regards to the 6000 years, while many witnesses allowed themselves be swept away by expectation beyond what is written at that time. To then blame the shepherds is just avoiding personal accountability.

It taught us (as witnesses) a lesson we needed on an individual basis to acknowledge Armageddon will come when Jehovah deems it not by our own demands. It also weeded out people only serving Jehovah for the reward alone.

Do you hate Jehovah now because you didn't get your paradise then?

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

It's very plain to see that Debator is of those who

will only believe what is PRINTED in the JW Bible Watchtower.

Of those who must ignore 90% of convention talks and C/O visits as personal opinions.

Debator ruined a perfectly good thread on 1975 experiences with his/her nonsense...

should have been blocked out of it after one opinion.

oz

• debator
    debator

Hi Auzzie

I do not condemn out of warmongering or hearsay. Did you just pluck 90% out of the air? This forum seems to be a bottleneck for ex-Jws opinion and so will be biased (to say the least) downright witch-hunting at the worst. They are reading Armageddon into 6000 years since Adam because it suits their ex-JW position.

Over-Generalised opinion from a biased group is hardly factual evidence! What I would admire is bit more objectivity and a little less hysterical reactionism.

Fact - witness publications do not say 75' and armageddon as a doctrine

Fact - hearsay evidence is inadmisaable, My uncle's brother's friend sold his house etc.

Fact - over-enthusiasm is already admitted by both publications and the witnesses but this is not doctrine.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit