Understanding Revelation (According to the JWs)

by brotherdan 96 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Think About It
    Think About It
    Did any of you realize how off the wall it was when we were studying the rev book for the last 20 times? I always tried to understand it, but secretly inside I was thinking, uh...this is retarded.

I was a book study conductor twice when studying the Revelation book. I read up on what other religions taught about the 7 trumpets, but always thought the WTS interpretation was an extreme stretch of the imagination. It was your standard.... the org. teaches it so we must agree with it. Just have the paragraphs read, ask the questions, get some answers & comments and move on.

I haven't read the whole thread. Is the WTS still sticking with the 90's version of the 7 trumpets?

Think About It

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

It seemed to make no difference in the case of Hananiah. What made Hananiah a false prophet agrees with the simple definition in Deut 18. Hanaiah spoke to the people, claiming his word was God's...it didn't happen...he was a false prophet. The WT became the antitypical (LOL) Hananiah. Hananiah claimed the Jews would be free from Babylon within 2 years...taking the already recorded word of God and putting a time stamp on it, calling it God's word) while the WT has claimed to be God's channel and modern-day prophet and claimed the new world had to come per God's promise before the generation of 1914 died off. Clear-cut and simple.

• xchange
    xchange

The guy at the bottom right looks like Will Smith and the guy at the bottom left could be John Lithgow. Pity.

(referring to picture on page 2)

• brotherdan
    brotherdan
    The WT became the antitypical (LOL) Hananiah.

What an awesome thing it would be to quote you on this in my DA letter! That won't be for quite a while, but I hope I remember this one. Love it!

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

Thinkaboutit: Yes, the WT still holds to the same view. We studied the Rev book yet again in the bookstudy before it ended. The changes to the book were minimal and didn't change the "prophecy" what so ever.

• drewcoul
    drewcoul

Debator:

The WT has proclaimed itself "Jehovah's modern-day prophet." This is an indisputable fact. They claim to be "Jehovah's mouthpiece" and his "channel of communication."

On the other hand, they claim that they are spirit-directed and not "inspired." What is the difference????!!??

I would love for you to answer two questions: 1) what is the difference between being spirit directed and inspired? and 2) if they are not inspired, why do they require that their followers follow everything printed in the Watchtower as though it is inspired?

I can prophesy that you will not answer these questions because you cannot answer it without acknowledging the fallacy of the WTBTS.

BTW, can anyone answer: doesn't the new "Daniel's Prophecy" book allude to the distance from the printing presses to the convention where a book was released? I can't find my copy of the book.....guess I must have thrown it away.

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin
    The WT became the antitypical (LOL) Hananiah.

What an awesome thing it would be to quote you on this in my DA letter! That won't be for quite a while, but I hope I remember this one. Love it!

My reply: Thanks Brotherdan, I am really flattered. Please feel free to quote me there. The 1914 generation teaching- the original one, that is- can be the antitypical Hananiah prophecy! LOL

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

drewcoul, no that was old light. It was a Rutherford interpretation that was abandoned long ago. Here's the quote from the "Finished Mystery" book released in 1926:

"The distance from the Society's printing press in Scranton, Pa to the bethel offices in Brooklyn, NY, using a ferry, with a Railway Guide (extract included) to prove the distance from Lackawanna station in Scranton to Hoboken Terminal in New Jersey, is the "exact distance" referred to in the Bible at Revelation 14:20 "And the winepress was trodden without the city, and blood came out of the winepress, even unto the horse bridles, by the space of a thousand and six hundred furlongs"

They also believed that the book of Job prophesied about the invention of...wait for it...the modern STEAM ENGINE! Also in the "Finished Mystery" book. See below:

"Thou wilt lengthen out leviathan (the locomotive) with a hook (automatic coupler) and a snare (coupling-pin) which will cause his tongue (coupling-link) to drop down." [Biblical reference to Leviathan is fulfilled by the arrival of the Locomotive Engine]

• drewcoul
    drewcoul

lol @ isaacaustin......."The antitypical Hananiah"......Hilarious!!!!!!

I forgot all about the typical and antitypical bull crap.....the "antitypical jubilee" was a WT study I remember. It didn't make sense then and doesn't make sense now.

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

drewcoul, I remember when I was a teenager sitting at the bookstudy in the late 80's (we were studying the Rev book for the 1st time). I was excited...but floored at how all these worldwide fulfillments that effected the entire earth- like the trumpet blasts, bowls, and 2 witnesses were all fulfilled in the org...how we were the locusts.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit