Understanding Revelation (According to the JWs)

by brotherdan 96 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

Debator (or any other current JW on the board),

Will you please explain to me the understanding of how the 7 trumpet blasts in Revelation were fulfilled? Has it already happened? Is it future? How are we to understand this series of passages in Revelation?

• simon17
    simon17

You had to be there at Cedar Point to truly understand bro :(

• debator
    debator

You want to explore Bible prophecy that was deliberately wrote to be subjective and looking for fulfillment of it in the world around us? Prophecy is unique in this respect since we are not looking in the bible for the fulfillment but in the observed events around us.

"let the reader use decernment"

Because of this it is liable to more refinement than any other Bible subject since mistakes and errors can happen if signs/events are read wrong. It is why an Interpretations of Bible Prophecy are qualified only as "Current Understandings"

Prophecy is only 100% in hindsight. Jesus himself had to explain which prophecies he actually fulfilled because the majority had been missed.

Before I just give You a paraphrased synopsis on the trumpets may I ask.

Do you think we should avoid trying to see the fulfillment of them in the world around us because of fear of mistakes?

• God_Delusion
    God_Delusion

Debator, you lost me at hello.....

• james_woods
    james_woods
    Do you think we should avoid trying to see the fulfillment of them in the world around us because of fear of mistakes?

No, Debator - Jehovah's Witnesses apparantly have no fear whatsoever of making prophetic mistakes.

Compared to the notion that the generation alive and adult in the year 1914 would see the end of the system of things, or that Daniel and the other OT prophets would come alive as earthly men in the 1930s, calling the trumpets inexplicably as talks at some assembly years ago seems pretty minor now.

So yeah, Debator - go right ahead - proclaim prophecy on anything they tell you. Prophetic mistakes can be covered up or changed later in the JW world. More than once, in fact.

• simon17
    simon17

Prophecy is only 100% in hindsight.

Then prophecy is useless.

In hind sight, it is clear that Notradamus' 51st quatrain referred to the burning of London. But it wasn't clear BEFOREHAND. It only happened to work when he figured out a way, in hindsight, to MAKE it work. Same goes for all these other things.

Give me something that is useful and actionable and maybe it will have SOME possible benefit. Dont' give me a bunch of crap that is filled with all the secrets of the world but we wont understand it until its past.

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

No, debator. I think that prophecy can truly happen in the last days. Christs second coming is a prophecy that was to take place in the last days. So of course I believe that.

I just don't know how Jehovah's Witnesses interpret the 7 trumpet blasts.

• undercover
    undercover

debator said:

blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

Can't you just answer the f'g question?

• sabastious
    sabastious
    Then prophecy is useless.

This is a great point.

It spells out the usefullness of ambiguous prophecy.

Survey says.... none.

-Sab

• Ding
    Ding

Debator,

I personally see no problem in people looking for the fulfillment of Bible prophecy in the world around us.

What I find seriously wrong is:

1. Someone claiming that only they understand the deep things of God, especially when their prophetic speculations have been wrong multiple times (in fact more times than anyone else in modern history)

2. Insisting that all Christians agree with and proclaim their speculative interpretations as truth

3. Branding people as apostates from Jehovah and/or disfellowshipping people who openly disagree with their speculative interpretations

4. Not apologizing to those skeptics when it turns out their dissenting opinions were right all along

5. Not showing more humility when they publish their next speculative interpretations

How do you feel about this?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit