Understanding Revelation (According to the JWs)

by brotherdan 96 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

JW Revelation in a nutshell (pun intended): It Is All About Us!

• Ding
    Ding

I'm going with the interpretations of Revelation in The Finished Mystery.

If it was good enough for Judge Rutherford, it's good enough for me. :)

Seriously, I wonder if they even looked at TFM when writing the 1988 book.

Someone should publish a side by side comparison of the Revelation commentary in the two books so JWs could see how drastic a difference there is.

Of course, JWs wouldn't read such a comparison.

It would be apostate literature even though the WTBTS published both of them.

• Listener
    Listener

Watchtower 2002 4/15

Referring to Jesus’ unique position, the CyclopediaofBiblical,Theological,andEcclesiasticalLiterature says: “The object of prayer is God alone, through Jesus Christ as the Mediator. All supplications, therefore, to saints or angels are not only useless, but blasphemous. All worship of the creature, however exalted that creature is, is idolatry, and is strictly prohibited in the sacred law of God.”

W 2002 7/1

Is it proper to pray to Jesus’ earthly mother, Mary, or to particular “saints,” asking them to intercede with God in one’s behalf? The Bible’s direct answer is: “There is only one mediator between God and mankind, himself a man, Christ Jesus.”—1 Timothy 2:5.

W 1979 4/1

?

The term “mediator” occurs just six times in the Christian Greek Scriptures and Scripturally is always used regarding a formal covenant.

Moses was the “mediator” of the Law covenant made between God and the nation of Israel. (Gal. 3:19, 20) Christ, though, is the “mediator of a new covenant” between Jehovah and spiritual Israel, the “Israel of God” that will serve as kings and priests in heaven with Jesus. (Heb. 8:6; 9:15; 12:24; Gal. 6:16) At a time when God was selecting those to be taken into that new covenant, the apostle Paul wrote that Christ was the “one mediator between God and men.” (1 Tim. 2:5) Reasonably Paul was here using the word “mediator” in the same way he did the other five times, which occurred before the writing of 1 Timothy 2:5, referring to those then being taken into the new covenant for which Christ is “mediator.” So in this strict Biblical sense Jesus is the “mediator” only for anointed Christians.

The new covenant will terminate with the glorification of the remnant who are today in that covenant mediated by Christ. The “great crowd” of “other sheep” that is forming today is not in that new covenant. However, by their associating with the “little flock” of those yet in that covenant they come under benefits that flow from that new covenant. During the millennium Jesus Christ will be their king, high priest and judge. For more detailed information, see AidtoBibleUnderstanding, pages 1129 and 1130 under “Mediator”; also God’s“EternalPurpose”NowTriumphingforMan’sGood, page 160, paragraph 10; also TheWatchtower issues of February 15, 1966, pages 105 through 123; November 15, 1972, pages 685 and 686, under the subheading “Leading the Way to a New Covenant”; and April 1, 1973, pages 198 and 199, under the subheading “The New Covenant.”

W 69 1/15

What a cause for joy to have the Son’s favor! So, one who enters into a dedicated relationship with Jehovah and who accepts Jesus as his Mediator automatically receives responsibilities; one also receives many blessings and much joy.

W 66 8/1

Baptism is rightly performed by dedicated men; so Peter was sent. Of special interest to one wishing to make his dedication to God is the act of faith known as prayer. When one makes his dedication he prays to Jehovah in the name of Jesus Christ, the Son, the Mediator between God and man

w 61 4/1

What Jesus was illustrating here was the fact that he is mankind’s Mediator with God. By virtue of the ransom sacrifice that purchased mankind, all people must approach God through him. “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.” (John 14:6) As a shepherd leads his sheep into the protective confines of the sheepfold as well as takes them out to pasture, so Jesus Christ cares for those who, by their faith, prove to be his Father’s sheep.

• designs
    designs

Listener-

If you go back to the old Studies In The Scriptures volumes you will read Russell's solution to number in heaven problem. He and the Bible Students believed that two groups went to heaven. A smaller Elect Group and a unlimited Great Crowd of Other Sheep.

• pda
    pda

DJEggnog, I sent you a pm

• The Finger
    The Finger

"The 7 trumpet blasts appear in Revelation 8 and 9. They concern Angels heralding very symbolic events that happen. We witnesses see these as various events that happened during our early days up until Armageddon."

This is just crap. JW rubbbish doesn't fulfill anything

• Listener
    Listener

Thanks designs, that makes more sense in order to account for the numbers and also means a significant change in belief. So I am gathering that the earthly hope was never thought of until around 1935.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit