Understanding Revelation (According to the JWs)

by brotherdan 96 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

Come on guys! I just want to know what JWs teach about the trumpet blasts!

• sir82
    sir82
    Prophecy is only 100% in hindsight.

As others have stated....

Then what good is it?

Hey guess what? My prophecy rate is 100% in hindsight as well.

How's this for starters:

-- World War I will start in 1914;

-- America will declare its independence from Great Britain in 1776

-- Columbus will discover the Americas in 1492

How am I doing so far?

Idiot.

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

PLEASE! Trumpet blasts! What do they mean, debator?

Let's take it slow. How was the 1st trumpet blast fulfilled in our day today?

• mentallyfree31
    mentallyfree31

Evidently, WT has been right all along with the Revelation prophecies. It's just that the "scene of this world is changing"

:-)

• wobble
    wobble

I haven't got a copy of the comic "Revelation-its grand climax" book, but from memory the 7 Trump. blasts are given in there, all stuff that happened in the 1920's, slightly different from previous interpretations, and this has not been replaced yet by a "refined understanding".

Maybe the Writing Department needs to find another mad Bob Pevey to write a new one.

I told my Uber-Dub B.I.Law ,Elder and completely a WT/Org man, that I had always thought those explanations for great Bible prophecies were totally MAD !

He just went silent.

• thenoblelodge
    thenoblelodge

I think the WT interprets the 'trumpet blasts' to make it look like they are the fulfillment.

I can't remember now but wasn't it to do with Cedar Point convention and the release of different leaflets/announcements at other conventions condemning the clergy during the 20's.

Revelation has been fulfilled apart from B the G, although fallen has not yet been destroyed. Of course the big A will follow hot on the destruction of B the G.

I threw all my books/mags out so have nothing to reference now.

I'm sure Debator will fill us in though.

ps - I know this was directed at Debator or other current JWs but it yanked some very bad memories to the surface and I had to put my 2pence worth in.

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

Jericho fell at the sound of the seven trumpets.

When the King's messengers arrived into a town square, the first thing they did was to blow the trumpets to get people's attention. Then, after the trumpet blast and people had gathered, the SEAL was broken. Then the SCROLL was unraveled and read. Then the DECREE (bowls/vials) became effectively the blessing or curse that was dumped upon their heads.

It stands to reason that all seven trumpets are not blown at the same time, but it has been a gradual progression.

A trumpet (a loud or far reaching event takes place), a seal is broken (something is revealed), an action takes place.

The last three trumpets are distinguised by the "woes".

Maybe "Feast of Trumpets" holds a clue.

• debator
    debator

We all accept then that Revelation is a hugely prophetic and we are meant to try and understand prophecy?

The 7 trumpet blasts appear in Revelation 8 and 9. They concern Angels heralding very symbolic events that happen. We witnesses see these as various events that happened during our early days up until Armageddon.

Jehovah's Witnesses found the real truths in God's Word. With God's help through his word the Bible and his spirit and they saw how much Christendom and governments had fallen away from Jehovah. In a particular convention witnesses challenged these Authorites and Christendom.

I think it is hard in the current time of scepticism to know how outstanding their stance was at that time. How much they did for the religious freedom you now enjoy today.

I can see you want me to be stumbled by our viewpoint on these blasts? But I have no problem seeing this highly symbolic prophetic language as pertaining to real men doing things that stood out from a very currupt Christendom and governmental rule but would seem insignificant to the majority. That may seem tame as fullfillment of prophecies about dramatic locust plagues and consuming flames.

But the Bible has already set a precedent that things that seem less than dramatic to sceptic eyes that are in fact are great and important events. Jesus being the biggest example of this.

The promise of salvation of mankind, bringer of God's kingdom, Ender of earthly rule under Satan. what was Jesus's life?

He was a lowly carpenter for 30 years, he became a messiah he said words in Sermons and healed people and then he was killed on a stake 3 1/2 years later. The Jews found this less than impressive and it stumbled a lot from becoming Christians.

Jesus brought words of truth to mankind not the massive destruction to ruling powers that Jews expected from their understanding of biblical prophecy.

To the Romans Jesus was just an annoying Jewish holy man that weirdly the Jews hated themselves. To the Jewish Leaders Jesus was a false messiah making blasphemous claims that incited them to extremes of hatred.

When Jesus died he had only a few hundred followers yet prophetically this is a massively predicted time.

Yet they grew....

Take another example.... God's people themselves? to the world they were an insignificant slave race that never had any real power and were a source to plunder but just mainly annoying to rule. To the Romans it would seem laughable that these humble people were God's chosen race. The christians were also just seen as an insignificant sect following yet another false messiah.

Yet they grew....

I have no problem seeing Gods prophecies being fulfilled by events and portents that appear less than impressive to skeptics that want burning flames, darkened skies, blasts from heaven and real heavy duty fulfillment, in fact quite the contrary.

(You may want to get involved with individual parts of the trumpet blasts but I thought I would get to the point of the matter and address where you are clearly going)

That you think? the declarations at the Ohio convention the, imprisonment etc of our early days as witnesses couldn't be fulfilment of some of these blasts but it really depends on what you expect from God's prophecies.

Yet we grew....

Anyone that really reads the Bible knows heavily symbolic prophecies are rarely fulfilled in the way expected of them. Could they need refining on the trumpets? Well prophecy does get refined because of it's nature as greater understanding is acquired but I am happy to go along with this one given Jehovah's track record with Prophecies and mankind.

James 2:5
    Listen, my dear brothers: Has not God chosen those who are poor in the eyes of the world to be rich in faith and to inherit the kingdom he promised those who love him?

• wannabefree
    wannabefree

In hindsight, Volume 7 of Studies in the Scriptures shows that the first six angels were the first six volumes ... and of course that the 7th volume was the seventh angel. That made so much sense, I wonder why it was abandoned as truth.

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

Reniaa/Debator, much wordiness there that doesn't say a whole lot but long and short...no we should try and understand prophecy. However, we should not falsely prophecy as the WT has.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit