Some Confusion - What is this site in regards to JW?

by Green Jade 72 Replies latest jw friends

• fokyc
    fokyc

Surely the site home page is self explanatory?

Jehovah's Witness Discussion Forum

"The place to discuss anything relating to Jehovah's Witnesses and the WatchTower Bible and Tract Society... or just make new friends!"

I fail to understand your problem, are you a Jehovah's Witness or what?

• Green Jade
    Green Jade

fokyc,

It is clear you do not understand me or want to know what my needs are. Your explaination is not complete. You posted:

Jehovah's Witness Discussion Forum

"The place to discuss anything relating to Jehovah's Witnesses and the WatchTower Bible and Tract Society... or just make new friends!"

After I had applied for entrance, I was confused by the threads. One thread used foul language (from a JW) in trying to prove someone was or was not a witness. The Posting Guidelines advocates the use of clean and non-threatening words. Another discussion was concerning getting a badge for a convention. Another one was against JW beliefs.

Others have broken down this site for me and now I know I belong here, but I do not know where.

Yes you did fail in understanding my question. It is clear that you do not understand me. I am not interested in a site that holds hands and sing the new kingdom songs. I am not interested in poo poo on JWs. As for you question, "are you a Jehovah's Witness or not?" Or maybe as a person you don't want to understand me.

For years people people have asked me "are you a Witness?" And I have with pride said yes, (even when I don't go to any meetings) but after alot of "soul" searching ...I have realized I can't say yes anymore. I don't ever picture myself in any other religion, but I feel isolated. I would like to be in a discussion with others you have the same feel. I have gone to the 2010 district convention, but I use to feel connected. And now I only seemed to be critical rather than embracing. I don't know if I am a Witness or not. I would like to get feedback from others in similar circumstances.

• fokyc
    fokyc

Thank you for your very clear reply,

I feel exactly the same as you do!

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Last month, I read about a guy who said he was a JW and several people said he was not. There was a lot of name calling, and I believe my IQ dropped from the exposure.

Hi Green Jade. Welcome to the forum.

We get all types here. Some are here just to cause trouble. We have had quite a few like the one you described over the years. They say they support the WT and they defend its doctrines, and portray their congregation members and Elders in an idealistic way that is not supported by the Societies rules and advice, but ........ they don't behave like JWs .... and they have been less than honest in defending the WT. A bit like my Dad except he does behave like a JW and he wouldn't come here.

Cheers

Chris

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

Welcome to the forum

many who start to post have been 'lurking' for a while and have a good idea what this forum contains and how people use it...some just sign up and then reel in horror as they had no idea is is not a pro witness site and dont understand the many sorts of personalities on it.

i get the feeling that you just launched right in!

most generally start with a brief bio and why they are here or something and generally get treated a bit more respectfully from the get go. Those who jump in with questions and assumptions generally get met with a brash humor or disbelief. Just how it is. This aint no sewing circle forum! religion is a touchy subject...

you will no doubt find a big variety of personalities. Dont take every barb, question or sarcasm personally. Everbody's journey to this place has been different and some have arrived with a lot of hurt, allow them the outlet.

please stick around!

oz

• bigmac
    bigmac

@ green jade:

" I don't know if I am a Witness or not."

i think this means a new class, just for you!

anyway, enjoy the site, make of it what you will

i like it here, & i haven't been slung out.

yet

oh, & i am a 2nd class job.

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

Welcome to JWN. It's nice to have you join us.

Green Jade wrote: I was confused by the threads.

One thread used foul language (from a JW) in trying to prove someone was or was not a witness.

It's the internet. Some people are genuine. Some people take on other personalities and hide behind their anonomity. Foul language from a JW is not that uncommon - even in real life.

The Posting Guidelines advocates the use of clean and non-threatening words.

Advocate, yes. 24/7 enforcement? No. There are just a couple of volunteer moderators and they do not monitor each and every post. Also, sometimes nothing captures a mood quite like a dirty word.

Another discussion was concerning getting a badge for a convention. Another one was against JW beliefs.

I really don't understand why this is a problem or even worth mentioning. As fokyc succinctly pointed out, "The place to discuss anything relating to Jehovah's Witnesses and the WatchTower Bible and Tract Society... or just make new friends!" [Quoted from the home page.] Independent thought and discussion is allowed.

Others have broken down this site for me and now I know I belong here, but I do not know where.

This isn't a Kingdom Hall. You do not have an assigned or designated position. And even better... You can change your mind whenever you find it appropriate. If you have some sort of JW connection or interest, this can be a great place for you.

Welcome to the group.

-Aude Sapere (meaning: Dare to Know; Dare to Have Wisdom/Understanding; Dare to Think for Yourself)

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

(What happened to my formatting and font in the post above???)

• Think About It
    Think About It

Green Jade.......welcome to the board. This site is mainly for X-JW's, but active JW's are welcome also. All kinds of different former JW's who are now different people with different lives. The topics are very wide ranging. Anything from fluff to sexual topics to deep intelligent expose' of the Watchtower Society. Some things will stimulate your keen interest, other things could offend you. Have fun posting.

Think About It

• Green Jade
    Green Jade

fokyc,

Thank you for your response. I good to find someone else in my shoes or at least similar.

Black Sheep,

Years ago I would have said impossible! those people most all be apostates, but my rose tinted glasses have faded to a pink. There are some Witnesses that say one thing and do another, twist the bible words for their own personal benefits, and others "just plain don't know anything cause they never bothered to open the bible" (asleep during the meetings).

I don't plan on defending anything or preaching. My sole purpose is to figure out what I am and find others like me. I would like not to feel so isolated. Its like being disfellowshiped but in thought. You have no one to really to go to for fear of being labelled "bad association".

FYI to those that are JW that want to talk to me. I am not disfellowshiped, but I have not had a shepherding call in years so they probably don't care about what I think. The last meeting I went to was the District Convention. I just want to be honest and just want others that are like me. I don't drink, smoke, party, drugs, or really anything else but I want do want to be honest and would like that reciprocated.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit