Need to vent/ask opnion/advice on new renter in my house

by bluesapphire 107 Replies latest jw friends

• AGuest
    AGuest

Limited exceptions for single rooms and roommates

if the owner of an owner-occupied, single-family home rents out a room in the home to a roomer or a boarder, and there are no other roomers or boarders living in the household, the owner is not subject to the restrictions listed under "examples of unlawful discrimination" on page 12.

However, the owner cannot make oral or written statements, or use notices or advertisements which indicate any preference, limitation, or discrimination based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, national origin, ancestry, familial status, source of income, or disability.

47 F urther, the owner cannot discriminate on the basis of medical condition or age. 4 8

A person in a single-family dwelling who advertises for a roommate may express a preference on the basis of gender, if living areas (such as the kitchen, living room, or bathroom) will be shared by the roommate. 49

Taken from pps. 13 and 14 of California DCA Tenant Handbook:

http://www.dca.ca.gov/publications/landlordbook/catenant.pdf

Please excuse the formatting - I am not on my own computer so it's a bit difficult. Please also be careful, dear Blue (peace to you!) with this matter. While it is true that you may not be subject to the Fair Housing Act, which is federal, there is still CALIFORNIA law with regard to such things... and while you situation may allow you to discriminate on various levels, I don't believe it does when it comes to a disability. Not that your lady has a disability - maybe she doesn't. Since you're trying to work with her, that's cool. Again, if you decide it won't work, given what you've shared here, I'd say consult an attorney.

Again, peace to you!

A slave of Christ,

SA

• bluesapphire
    bluesapphire

AGuest, do you think a judge will see that I did my best to accommodate her dog. I allowed it only after she signed and assured me that it was completely trained. Then over and over I worked with her to correct the dog's behavior??? I even gave her my dog pen which she would have had to buy for close to $100!!! I could have sold it to her.

I know judges are not always fair, intelligent or even give a crap but I would like to believe our system would be fair enough to see that it was the RENTER who took the risk in stating that her dog was trained, hoping I would not bitch about it later, once she was here. Also, a potential witness would be her previous landlord.

And I have the lease/pet policy in writing and signed by her. I don't want this to go to court. But if it does, I can't imagine a judge not seeing that she signed the lease and lied that the dog was trained. It was CRYSTAL CLEAR. And I'm not evicting her. I'm telling her to keep the dog in check or it has to go. And if she chooses to leave, rather than take the time and make the effort, that's her decision for which she should be responsible for the costs associated with it. The next place she goes, she could face the same situation. So she should consider that.

I am going to email her and summarize what we discussed.

• AGuest
    AGuest

do you think a judge will see that I did my best to accommodate her dog.

While I cannot say positively (who can?), I do think so, dear Blue... if you have your ducks in a row. Document, document, document.

Peace to you!

A slave of Christ,

SA

• PEC
    PEC

AGuest, thanks for sharing your knowlage. bluesapphire, I am glad that things a looking better.

Philip

• AGuest
    AGuest

You are quite welcome, dear PEC (peace to you!)... and the same to you!

A slave of Christ,

SA

• WingCommander
    WingCommander

bluesapphire:

You're really getting me to think here about this person. Let me explain:

1.) She doesn't have a job, and collects disability checks BUT

2.) She is never there, so what does she do every day, all day long?

3.) She claims her disability checks are late, etc, etc.

4.) She was abused as a child.

5.) She lets her crap lay where ever it falls.

I don't know about you, but all of this adds up to her being a DRUG USER in my book. Look at the facts presented above, especially the fact that she doesn't work, but yet is gone all day long. She limps in at the end of the day. Easy!! - She's away at a freakin crack house getting high with the money from her disability checks, that's why she doesn't have the money to pay you the rent.

You need to boot this deadbeat pile o shit ASAP!!!!

- Wing Commander

• Think About It
    Think About It

bluesapphire .........when you finally get this girl & her dog out of your house, what are your next plans? You still going to rent the room? Any animals next time? Good luck.

Think About It

• bluesapphire
    bluesapphire

NO PETS!!! EVER EVER EVER AGAIN. Even if my kids move back home and want to bring their new friend, Oliver the kitten ... GET RID OF IT FIRST!

And if this renter's pet dies, IT WILL NOT BE REPLACED. Period!

As far as her using drugs, anything is possible. But she explains that she is gone taking care of kids all day. Thus, she should be earning money from that. She doesn't look like she uses anything. Always sober when I've seen her.

I will continue to rent out the room. But I will screen better, get references from previous landlords and make it clear up front that we are "allergic to pets."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit