To Those Still Going To Meetings---How Do You Still Do It?

by minimus 51 Replies latest jw friends

• free2beme
    free2beme

I have wondered this too. Came up with a few catagories from the responses I have gotten.

Forced - Although they do not believe it, either through parents, spouses or family members. They are forced to go. Perhaps a situation of, 'if you are in my house and under my roof, you will do this.' Either way, the 'forced group' is very common and I think many of us have been there at some time or another.

Faders - Those who have questioned the religion, found the problems, but are not yet 100% convinced that the religion is all wrong or myth. Perhaps they still have that thought stuck in their mind of, 'I know so much about the Bible (as instructed by the Watchtower) that no other religion will ever seem right. So they just stay until something comes up to make them more disconnected.

Lazy - They do not believe it, do not see anything that makes it real and frankly they think it is full of crap. However, the idea of actually leaving and making a stand is just too much work. So they go, and just take the easy way out.

Savers - Believe that despite them knowing it is all crap, all cultlike, etc. They think that they should still stay connected, still read the publications and attend, so that they can save those who need help in exit. These are the ones who take all the publications apart, peice by peice, and use names and photos on here that are not them. That way they can still 'save' those who need it, without having to exit themselves or be exposed.

Sick - People who just plain like watching others in a hell hole and yet do not see the insanity of being their with them, themselves.

I am sure you think of other groups. However, this pretty much sums up all the ones I have run across. They always fit in their some way or another. Hope that answers your question.

• oldlightnewshite
    oldlightnewshite

I don't think we should take the piss out of Elderelite, or any elders or active JWs on this site for that matter. I dunno, I thought most people posted on here to encourage and help our fellow man out of a deep pit. I think it's admirable that they continue with their 'spiritual' lives in the bOrg, to be able to help their family or friends that might be 'searching' for the exit door.

The thread was 'how do you still do it?' Personally, after years of exposure, I'm allergic to bullshit and could never go back

Some just got better immune systems, I s'pose.

• cantleave
    cantleave

Without appearing too synical - what has EE published on here that is not available on the CD rom?

• bigmac
    bigmac

i haven't taken the piss out of elderlite, or any one else. having read some of EE's posts, i wanted to avoid any form of personal insults, as i didn't want to cause him any

stress, as it seems from what ive read he has more than enough on his plate at this stage.

purely from my viewpoint, having been totally out for half my life, i have no interest in the latest "new light" or whatever bullshit now viewed from a slightly different angle.

so, i would rather read more elders have resigned than get tit-bits that no doubt will sooner or later be openly available, in some WT publication, for those who still need their fix.

• bigmac
    bigmac

@oldlightnewshite, i just noticed that was your 1st post! congratulations--i'm new here too & dont know many names.

hope you dont think my previous post was taking a pop at you.

• cantleave
    cantleave

Welcome oldlightnewlight

BigMac - said ....

I would rather read more elders have resigned than get tit-bits that no doubt will sooner or later be openly available, in some WT publication, for those who still need their fix.

I agree with that, I think being of the conscious class and still supporting the cult either financially or by propping up their power structures must be a real dilemma. I would feel terrible if I was still an elder and had to sit on a Judicial for apostacy, kinowing the outcome will be a forgone conclusion.

I think when you are newly out there is still a degree of curiosity with what is going on. Which is why I still like to know what's going on in Borgland. I do find I am a lot less interested than I was, however.

• eyeslice
    eyeslice

I know some who only continue to go because of family ties, which I can well understand.

It must be hard though as I took the view you had to be either 100% in or out. Personally, I took the decision simply to stop going, no slow fade or the like. The slow fade means that you have to put up some pretense of being a faithful witness; field service, meeting parts, etc, which wasn't for me.

• CuriousButterfly
    CuriousButterfly
    Its the letter fairy.. or maybe someone from the branch forwards them.. well whatever it is, there are a lot of folks who have beneifted from the inside glimpses of "jehovah's " organization.

OMG I almost spit my coffee out. LOL

• minimus
    minimus

Why pick on current elders here? That's not right. I'm not judging why ANYONE stays in the Organization because I don't have THEIR life.

I left ONLY when it was MY time.

• CuriousButterfly
    CuriousButterfly

Well said Minimus. :)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit