So...the bible doesnt say to follow the faithful and discreet slave...CORRECT?

by Joliette 52 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Joliette
    Joliette

If I'm not mistaken, there is no bible verse to support following the 'Faithful and Discreet' slave?

Am I correct? I know I have to research this, but to give me a jumpstart...?

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

All Christians are to be faithful and discreet slaves of Jesus. We are supposed to give EACH OTHER food at the proper time. The proper time is: Whenever we need it.

The scripture you are referring to is Mat 24:45-47.

• Sam Whiskey
    Sam Whiskey

That is correct Joliette.....

• Joliette
    Joliette

So...no 'following the faithful and discreet slave?'

I ask this because at a service meeting like a month ago, a young ministerial servant gave a comment saying that we need to follow the faithful and discreet slave. When they say to do something, we shouldnt question it, but just do it.

In my mind, I was like 'What in the blue sky?' What the heck are they gonna ask us to do?

• sir82
    sir82

Correct-a-mundo.

There's also no scripture saying that being saved depends on "obedience" - to them or to God for that matter.

Nor is there a scripture that says our salvation depends on our "attitude toward Christ's brothers", as a recent Watchtower claims.

And even more fun: There is no scripture which indicates the "144,000" of Revelation is the same group as the "faithful and discreet slave" of Matthew (assuming that the "144,000" is literal and that the "faithful and discreet slave" is a group - 2 really large presumptions also not backed by scripture).

hmmm...is anything taught by JWs scriptural?

• Chalam
    Chalam

If I'm not mistaken, there is no bible verse to support following the 'Faithful and Discreet' slave?

There is not even a sensible translation that says "faithful and discreet slave".

<< Matthew 24:45 >>
    New International Version (©1984)
    "Who then is the faithful and wise servant, whom the master has put in charge of the servants in his household to give them their food at the proper time?

New Living Translation (©2007)
    "A faithful, sensible servant is one to whom the master can give the responsibility of managing his other household servants and feeding them.

English Standard Version (©2001)
    “Who then is the faithful and wise servant, whom his master has set over his household, to give them their food at the proper time?

New American Standard Bible (©1995)
    "Who then is the faithful and sensible slave whom his master put in charge of his household to give them their food at the proper time?

International Standard Version (©2008)
    "Who, then, is the faithful and wise servant whom his master has put in charge of his household to give the others their food at the right time?

GOD'S WORD® Translation (©1995)
    "Who, then, is the faithful and wise servant? The master will put that person in charge of giving the other servants their food at the right time.

King James Bible
    Who then is a faithful and wise servant, whom his lord hath made ruler over his household, to give them meat in due season?

American King James Version
    Who then is a faithful and wise servant, whom his lord has made ruler over his household, to give them meat in due season?

American Standard Version
    Who then is the faithful and wise servant, whom his lord hath set over his household, to give them their food in due season?

Bible in Basic English
    Who is the true and wise servant, whom his lord has put over those in his house, to give them their food at the right time?

Douay-Rheims Bible
    Who, thinkest thou, is a faithful and wise servant, whom his lord hath appointed over his family, to give them meat in season.

Darby Bible Translation
    Who then is the faithful and prudent bondman whom his lord has set over his household, to give them food in season?

English Revised Version
    Who then is the faithful and wise servant, whom his lord hath set over his household, to give them their food in due season?

Webster's Bible Translation
    Who then is a faithful and wise servant, whom his Lord hath made ruler over his household, to give them food in due season?

Weymouth New Testament
    "Who therefore is the loyal and intelligent servant to whom his master has entrusted the control of his household to give them their rations at the appointed time?

World English Bible
    "Who then is the faithful and wise servant, whom his lord has set over his household, to give them their food in due season?

Young's Literal Translation
    'Who, then, is the servant, faithful and wise, whom his lord did set over his household, to give them the nourishment in season?

The "faithful and wise servant" is just that, a character in a parable, not a publishing company in Brooklyn!

Blessings,

Stephen

• Sam Whiskey
    Sam Whiskey

And get this Joliette....they also (the FD&S) proclaim that "they" stand between you and God and Jesus when you pray. So...here's how your prayer must travel in order to be acceptable to God. When prayer is offered up to God, it must go through the FD&S, then through Jesusu, and then to God.

No kidding...it's da troof!

• cantleave
    cantleave

This the faithful and discreet slave dog - follow him

• miseryloveselders
    miseryloveselders

I've always said the TFDS teaching is probably my biggest beef with this organization. I've never found anything in their literature to support their interpretation of it. When you look it up in the Insight Book, there isn't any argument made to support this teaching. To the contrary, they criticise the general view that the parable applies to all Christians who take an active role of feeding others spiritually. Then the paragraph proceeds to toss out more convoluted thoughts to hide the fact that what Christ said was simply a parable or illustration. Nothing prophetic about it.

• Joliette
    Joliette

Wow...this is some deep stuff.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit